main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Anakin really go to the Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Shertron, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shertron

Shertron Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm not sure Anakin particularly cared for the Jedi or the Sith. He just really wanted to be the most powerful force user and keep Padme safe.

mihaitzateo likes this.
  2. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    He did, indeed.

thejeditraitor and Strongbow like this.
  3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    ^

Correct.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    He almost certainly went to the dark side. He quite literally pledged himself to Palpatines teachings and became Darth Vader, a Sith Lord.

The truth of it all is that each Jedi that did turn to the dark side did so ideally. Meaning they didn't desire to be evil. Dooku I think was truly disallusioned with the republic and sought to reform it. The power that the dark side gave him corrupted him though.

Anakin's intentions were selfish, but out of love for Padme. It is kind of one of those "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

oncafar likes this.
  5. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Obsession with power is pure dark side.

At the expense of literally every other living thing in the galaxy, as well as Padme's own happiness, ideals/morals, and well-being - because he didn't actually care about her at all, only his own desire to have her forever. Also extremely dark side.

Anakin went to the dark side. You cannot overturn democracy, launch a genocide and personally butcher an entire Jedi kindergarten for personal gain before choking out your wife without falling to the dark side. I'm sorry.

oncafar and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Not particularly caring about the Sith--"the Sith" being the one other guy in the universe who's part of your cult, who you either want to eventually usurp or, if you're the master, prevent from eventually usurping you--is kind of a hallmark of being a Sith.

That said Anakin clearly still had some sort of twisted attachment to his master, in the sense that he had literally nothing else by the end of it all.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The Darkside and The Sith do not necessarily coincide with eachother at all times. One can be a darkside force user and not submit themselves in service to the teachings of the Sith, per say. I'd say Anakin chose to follow the dark and destructive path however, which noble and innocent intentions; to save the woman he loved and protect her from everything and everyone. Not necessarily the worst type of Genocide there could be (it wasn't just pointless, hatefilled murder in his purging.)

However, many could argue that even that action alone was selfish of him and based on his own personal fear (a strong trait of the darkside) as the first thing he says when submitting to Sidious is "just teach me how to save Padme, I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT HER." So, it was not necessarily about protecting a loved one, but ensuring he, himself, would not have to suffer the same pain, loss, lonelines and feelings of failure he felt when he lost Shmi.

When did Anakin truly turn to the darkside? I'd say on Mustafar completely. When Padme arrives, Anakin is crying and showing remorse to lie in the bed he has made. However, when he sees her his love come back out, and there's even a faint smile when Padme tells Anakin that Obi Wan cares about them and still wants to help Anakin. It isn't until his lust for power and greed with his new found strength pushes him to aspire to murder the Emporer and claim the Galaxy as his own that when he is truly lost. His honourable intent to save a life has been corrupted by his need to rule and be the most powerful man in the Galaxy, so much he forgets about Padme completely and chokes her.

Of course from watching the OT, we know he always had some light in him...this is just the spot where I would highlight where he became truly lost until Luke showed up.

oncafar and Deliveranze like this.
  8. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    He definitely wasn't caring about the pain he'd be causing Padme "I love freedom and democracy and not killing children" Amidala. Only his own mattered to him. So yeah, pretty selfish.

9. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The way you described Anakin definitely sounds Sith-y. Power hungry and not accepting death as a natural part of life are certainly Sith traits.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Hmmm, but can we really be sure that's how Padme feels? I mean, she's never gone on record stating that she DOESN'T love killing children.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yes, he did. Slaughtering a bunch of kids was a pretty surefire sign that he took the leap.

I think this one has run its course.

thejeditraitor and Kenobi1138 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.