main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Anakin really love Padmé?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sith-Bendu, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Bendu

Sith-Bendu Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2004
    Did Anakin really loved Padmé? after all he killed her. If he had really loved her he wouldn't have killed her he would have saved her.

2. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    He didn't kill her directly, she lost the will to live.

He did love her, that's why he went out of his way to save her. It was a possesive love to a point, but he did love her.

3. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Well said.

4. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    Anakin did kill Padme. He killed her by breaking her heart. The domestic abuse was a component of that breaking.

Anakin did love her, but his love was selfish and immature. He clearly viewed her more as a possession than a person.

Psychologically, thats par for the course in terms of domestic abuse / domestic abusers.

5. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    If you truly believed someone killed Padme you should say Vader killed Padme and domestically abused her, not Anakin. Anakin never choked Padme.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Anakin did love Padme, but it was an unhealthy, selfish, obsessional love and that was what ended up destroying them.

Jacob Aldrich likes this.
  7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Anakin loved her but when she wouldn't join him, and accidently brought Obi-Wan to Mustafar that was one of the final things in establishing the Vader in Anakin's dominence. Anakin did kill Padme indirectly but, it was because he was losing cotnrol of what he was doing. It however on Anakin's end had a bit of a posessive quality to it.

8. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    he thought she had betrayed him, since he did turn for her, and he did not kill her.

9. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    Anakin, at their meeting in Mustafar, loved her the same way an owner of a prize racing horse loves his stallion. She became this massive excuse to validate the evil things he's doing, and in the end when she shows a hint of independence or betrayl towards him the 'owner' takes Padme to the proverbial glue factory. Even if Obi-Wan wasn't there I doubt they could have trusted each other again, seeing as how far into the Dark Side Anakin was and how distraught Padme was at finding out her true love was a murderous power-hungry killer.

10. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    Anakin loved Padme with his whole heart and soul. With his entire being. Everything he did, he did for her. He turned for her! He would never, NEVER hurt her on purpose! He thought she had betrayed him. When he choked her, he wasn't thinking "I'm going to kill her now", he was upset with her lying to him (what he THOUGHT was lies). He was mad and he wanted her to stop the lies. If he wanted her DEAD, he would have MADE SURE she was dead. He would have used more than a little Force Choke. His NOOOOO! at the end proves that he never meant to hurt her.

Anakin did NOT kill Padme. That was a lie. One of the many Sideous told. She gave up the will to live, which leads to a whole other thread on how Padme was "connected" to Anakin and when he died and became Darth Vader, she died too...

11. ZombieProblems

Jul 9, 2004
    Exactly. I agree. This is what the story tells me.

12. ZombieProblems

Jul 9, 2004
    I also agree with this.

It's not that Anakin/Vader didn't love her, he just loved her in an unhealthy way.
    He is possessive of her to such a degree that he no longer values her as an independent
    person; she is his property...

And his justification...

The more you think about it, the darker and more complex it becomes...

I really loved Revenge of the Sith...

13. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    I don't think Anakin viewed Padme as property. He's been a slave so I don't think he would ever wish that fate on someone else.

His real problem was not being able to let go. He saw what happened to his mother, so he knew the same thing could happen to Padme.

Anakin started out in his life with nothing, no possesions. After going on to become a Jedi he did gain things, so he became a little selfish and wanted to hold on to them. He just went about it the wrong way. Doesn't make him a bad person, or a wife beater.

14. Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    I think he did because he was willing to end other lives in order to save hers. sorta harsh though

15. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Anakin didn't think of Padme as an object or a possession, or in any way, shape or form as just another "thing." I agree his love reached a point where it was no longer about *them.* He was justifying Padme's "betrayal" by saying she no longer loved him, because that was the only valid excuse in his mind. He wanted her to admit she had betrayed him so he could forgive her and they could live happily ever after, but she *wasn't* admitting it. At the time, I truly believed he choked her because he, heart and soul, believed she had stopped loving him, but I know he realized the truth after he had time to think about it (when Sidious told him Padme was dead).

How can anyone say he never loved Padme when he did all this for her. And it truly was all for her, it got out of hand, and he recognized what he really wanted was power, something he never had his entire life. He had a love when he was younger, his mother. Then that one thing was taken away from him, he turned to Padme because there was still chance they could be together. Then he found out he couldn't have that. He couldn't do *anything.* He had been restricted from doing things his whole life, and when he was finally free to go for what he wanted, he went a little too far.

16. ZombieProblems

Jul 9, 2004
    Just a wife choker and child murderer.

But I'm seriously, the way I understand it, Anakin started out as a good person and
    was slowly corrupted from within and without -- largely by his own fear and emotional
    instabilities; weaknesses exploited by the machinations of the evil Sidious and
    exacerbated by the horrors of war...

By the midway point of ROTS, Anakin has become evil. He is Darth Vader, yes,
    but he made that choice... this makes him a flawed person; a disturbed person; a
    person who has become a demon of his own free will...

This does not mean that he is irredeemable, there is a piece of him left that is good,
    buried deep down, waiting to be freed...

I agree with you that Anakin loved Padme, but it was a covetous, unhealthy love that
    spelled their ultimate doom...

17. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    Anakin felt betrayed by the woman he loved more than anything at the moment he choked her, it was the dark side in him that made him hurt her. The good man that was Anakin Skywalker would never have done that. Consumed by Darth Vader, he was.

18. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I agree with this.

He most certainly loved her in a healthy way... at first. But that true love became twisted and corrupted. It is absolutely correct that there's a fine line between love and hate. His love for Padme was pushed over that precarious edge. He let himself become obsessed with saving her, the one person who he ever felt truly loved him (besides his mother, who coincedentally died an equally terrible death), at the cost of his sanity. There's no excuse, but neither is it out of left field.

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Except that regardless of Anakin's reasons, he chokes his wife and murders children, two things that I would say make him a bad person. He's not pure evil but, by that point in the story Anakin isn't good either.

20. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    He was lied to, manipulated, and used. Yes he did kill children etc. yada yada, But without Sidious to coax him on, I doubt he would have thought to do that on his own.

The fact that he later cries after he turns, also shows he does feel some remorse.

Anyway, I think we're getting away from the topic a little.(my fault too) This is about whether Anakin loved Padme, not if Anakin was a good perosn or not.:)

21. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    He loved her as much as an emotionally repressed man with a bad childhood, restrictive adolescense, and miserable manhood could love another. He had no role models to show him how to be a good husband. He had no good role models for how to be a regular man in general. jedi are weird and cold and unloving. I think that's why Anakin's love is so smothering. He doesn't understand boundaries, because he wasn't taught them. That is stuff that is taught in a lifetime of growing up. Anakin had the weirdest, most unnatural life. He had not a semblance of normalcy, and ended up severely disabled and also extremely powerful. It's amazing he ended up not going completely insane.

I'd say his love for Padme was profound, but undirected. He wanted to own her, mind body and soul. It's sad, because if he had just a bit of guidance, he would have been fine.

22. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Good points T_F.

Anakin did know something of normal love, but it's easy to forget that he was just 10 when it was taken away, he was not old enough to truly appreciate what that sort of love really meant, he only ever had a child's view of it, even as an adult. He was taught to be a good Jedi, but not to be a good man, for him the two were not mutually exclusive. I think he did the best he could, until it all hit the fan and this tragic flaw came fully to light.

23. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    You people are creeping me out. :) Love = impending doom!? He wanted to own her, mind body and soul!? Let's not forget that one of the reasons he loved her is that she was such a strong, independant woman. I doubt he wanted to "break" her in.
    And come on people. Luke and Leia were born out of this love, so it wasn't all bad. :)

24. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Couldn't of put it better. :D

25. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.