main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Anakin think there was something going on between Obi-Wan and Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Personally, I think it is very obvious that Anakin DID suspect something going on. It is not just in his words but in his looks and actions.

Of course, we know that nothing was going on, but it just further goes to show how twisted his mind has become, that he is doubting the two most trustworthy people probably in the entire galaxy, and the only two people that loved him. It just adds to the bleakness, the ironic tragedy of it all.

2. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

Just wondering, what would those be?

3. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    If I remember well, I read in one of the extended scripts that it was obvious to Obi-Wan that Anakin and Padme were more then just "friends".
    Did he think that this love would have just passed as it did for other jedi, like Qui-Gon?

4. Jedi_Master_25

Jedi_Master_25 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    Of course anakin was when you turn to the dark side you think that everyone is against you and you suspect everyone of doing someting that is agains you.

5. am-pm

Jun 17, 2005

6. am-pm

Jun 17, 2005
    Well, I haven't watched Revenge of the Sith in at least a few weeks so I can't name them off. Next time I watch it I will make note of the parts that struck me that way. (and I'll try to watch it soon).

However, off the top of my head, when I say looks and actions, just look at his eyes, his aggressive attitude when he questions Padme about Obi-Wan being in the apartment. I think the subtext of jealousy and suspicion is obvious. But hey, you're entitled not to interpret it that way okay?

7. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    I also agree that it is portrayed in a way to make the viewer think that Anakin's mind has been twisted to the point where he's starting to suspect things like this. If it wasn't protrayed this way I think this thread probably wouldn't exist. There are at least some small hints of boyfriend jealousy.

That said I don't think Anakin actually believes it to be true. But the fact that the thought of Obi and Padme together is even crossing his mind shows how far he's fallen. And when he's finding his inner rage to turn against them in the end scenes I think this is just one more thing he internally adds to the pile of reason's why he hates Obi Wan. He needs a lot of pushing to turn against Obi and Padme, and as mentioned before Sidious planted this seed to help that.

EDIT - for multiple spelling errors - sheesh!

8. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005

Exactly! Watch his eyes when he asks her that in the apartment, and you will see that he is not just concerned about "political" musings between the two, because she goes through that everyday as a Senator. Just watch his eyes and you will see [face_love]

~*~*~*Anakin_Darth~*~*~*

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Think about it. Obi-wan shouldn't even be there. He is thinking that he found out about them and has told the Council. Anakin isn't thinking that they were together, he was wondering why Obi-wan would come there. He is thinking that he has been or will be turned into the Council.

10. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    There is no other indication besides that "look" (that some intrepret differently) that Anakin was jealous of a possible romantic relationship between Obi-Wan and Padme.

11. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    ^ I agree. And I think that "look" is intentionally put in the film. These subtle layers are what makes Star Wars great. Some viewers catch these things, some don't.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I go by Lucas who says that Anakin ultimately didn't suspect her of cheating, but of working with Obi-wan to undermine everything. Of her willingness to betray him and the Republic, because of what they talked about earlier.

13. am-pm

Jun 17, 2005
    Well then it seems he forgot to inform Hayden of that little fact. I think he played it with the jealousy clearly there.

14. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005

Hayden has been known to throw his own thought into his acting during certain scenes (tears during the Confession from Episode II), so even if George did not instruct him to do this, he clearly exuded characteristics of jealous and contempt towards Padme and Obi-Wan.

How many times does Padme bring up Obi-Wan anyway?

"Do you think Obi-Wan might be able to help us?"

Anakin brings up Obi-Wan during the second nightmare sequence...

"What about Obi-Wan?!"

"Obi-Wan....told me terrible things!"

"Obi-Wan was right, you've changed!"

Anakin even tells her: "I don't wanna hear anymore about Obi-Wan"

It all finally culminates when Anakin sees him standing at the top of her ship's ramp, and I do not think that ANY of his reservations about the two of them have to do with political considerations. Flash-back to Episode II for a moment, when Padme is knocked out of the Clone GunShip:

"Anakin! Don't let your personal feelings get in the way!"

"You will be EXPELLED from the Jedi Order!"

You could tell right there that Obi-Wan knows of their relationship, or at the least that they love each other, so Anakin was not concerned about Obi finding out about their relationship. Anakin does not even react to Padme telling him that Obi-Wan knows about their marriage and child.

~*~*~*Anakin_Darth~*~*~*

15. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    I can see how others can interpret this differently, but I'm going with what I saw on screen and what George intended with this one, and that is the whole political/Jedi/finding out about relationship theory.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The scene was there because Palpatine made Anakin think that Padme was plotting with someone in the Jedi, to overthrow the Chancellor. Anakin goes home and senses Obi-wan was there. Then he has the vision, before he comes out to see Padme. He wants to know what is what. However, the scene between Palpatine and Anakin talking about this was cut. What we see is the leftover of the previous scene that is no ommitted. It's the same way we see the telltale signs of Anakin and Padme talking about feeling the baby kick, before we see them talk about his frustrations with the Council. And we see the telltale sign of Obi-wan arriving to talk to Padme about Order 66 and his survival, before going into what we see in the film.

You see this a lot in the films.

From footage that was filmed and then excluded, as Lucas changed his mind on the direction of the story.

She brings up Obi-wan because he is his friend and mentor. She knows this. That is why she mentions going to him, because he would otherwise. He gets upset because he thinks that they are conspiring against the Republic and thus against him.

"One of the problems of Sith is that they are always quick to anger. This scene with her, it was very important that we set it up to the point where he chokes her as he does with one of the generals in ANH. But at the same time he doesn?t kill her and he just causes her to faint, but you get to see that flash of anger which he now doesn?t have much control over. The whole point in a Jedi is that you can completely control your anger and now he?s at a point where he can't control it at all and it's because of his need for his control for power and he gets very upset when he can't have it. And now he?s assuming that she?s with Obi-wan, not necessarily in a love relationship or anything, in the basis that they are both on one side of the path and he?s going down the other."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.