main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Anakin view Obi-Wan as a brother or a father?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BoromirsFan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I would say Obi-Wan was father figure from TPM to AOTC and then a Brother from AOTC to ROTS.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I wouldn't say it was either or. I'd say it was certain aspects of both combined.

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I think they were pushed into a father/son dynamic by circumstance, but it was never a particularly good fit for them. When Anakin was knighted, they fell into an older brother/younger brother dynamic, which was more suited to their personalities and resulted in a better, more natural relationship. But emotional remnants of Obi-Wan's time as his "father" still existed in Anakin's mind, which contributed to the sense of betrayal and resentment he felt towards him when he turned to the dark side. And as we see in Episode IV, a part of Anakin never stopped thinking of Obi-Wan as his "master."

oierem likes this.
  4. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I don't think you can remove Palpatine from this equation either. He was very much a surrogate father figure to Anakin and from a young age.

Personally I take Analin as trying to find influence from anyone he could but Obiwan certainly saw him as a brother.

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I believe that Anakin viewed Obi-Wan as a father by AOTC. He said so to Padme. But Obi-Wan viewed Anakin as a brother. And here we have one problem with their relationship.

Bazinga'd and oierem like this.
  6. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I think a Master/Padawan relationship is supposed to be father-son like, and Anakin was sort of desperate for a father having never had one (part of what made him such an easy target for Palpatine as well), but I don't think he and Obi-Wan ever quite fit that mold. He may have still saidthat Obi-Wan was like a father to him by AotC, but we don't quite see that in either of their actions. Obi-Wan, I think, always viewed Anakin as a younger brother--them both being Qui-Gon's "children," so to speak. By RotS, Anakin doesn't seem to think of Obi-Wan as a father at all--they definitely have a more brotherly dynamic.

leiajedi likes this.
  7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    It is interesting how not having a father, having a dark sider father, and etc can have such an effect on a person. The absence of that role in Anakin's life probably psychologically did effect him. Obi-Wan was to fill the gap, but honestly Qui-Gon Jinn was more of fatherly character than Kenobi.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Padme could be like a mother to him which is icky.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

We need a psychologist to figure our their dysfunctional relationaship

TX-20 likes this.
  10. leiajedi

leiajedi Jedi Knight

Apr 16, 2015
    in the aotc I think anakin view him as a father figure while in rots as a brother.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Del & Rodney in Only Fools & Horses would be a good example - Del was a teenager, and Rodney a lot younger, when their father abandoned them - Del was father figure, and when Rodney grew up this shifted to older brother/younger brother dynamic, but the "parental figure" dynamic still overshadows the newer relationship a little.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Anakin sees Obi-Wan as a father figure, definitely. He guides him, he tells him what's right and wrong, he's caring towards him.

However, Obi-Wan sees Anakin as a brother. This is most likely because Obi-Wan sees Anakin on the same level as himself, (you're a greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be) or more of a friend than an apprentice.

It is also possible that Anakin being more of a friend than an apprentice lead to Obi-Wan not wanting to finish the job on Mustafar.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    this thread is great because this issue is as central to the fall of Anakin as any other. Anakin was ten years old when he left his mother, by episode two he has been with Obi-wan for practically the exact same amount of time he was with his mother. Also Obi wan had to guide Anakin though his teenage years when a young man needs a postive male role model most. Anakin did see obiwan as a father and he obvouisly cared for him like a son cars for his father but that love is always tinged by a bit of resentment("he holding me back").

Obi-wan on the other hand views Anakin as a little brother from the start I think, it is probably hard at the age of 25 to view a ten year old as a surrogate son, plus he had just witnessed qui gon offer to cast him aside for Anakin.this had to effect how obiwan viewed anakin intially and while neither would ever say it Anakin had to know it, obiwan initially dissaproved of him and like yoda and mace rejected him and whike there relationship obviously improved that tension was still there the whole time and is the reason Anakin needed to seek approval from an outside source like Palpatine because no matter how much obi wan or the other jedi praised him it would always be colored by their initial dissaproval.

leiajedi likes this.
  14. leiajedi

leiajedi Jedi Knight

Apr 16, 2015
    I agree with you

Sent from my SM-G9006V using Tapatalk 2

15. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I think he viewed him as a bit of both as someone he looked up to like a brother and someone who resented at times like he was he's father with his discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Maybe the switch from father to older brother also came after all the rescues Anakin probably did post-AOTC.
    Obi Wan saves Anakin more times: Father
    Anakin saves Obi Wan more times: Brother

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Idk, it seems like Anakin was the one rescuing Obi-Wan, even before AOTC, and during it.

"You fell into that mess, master, and I rescued you."
    "Oh, yes." *snickers*

"What took you so long?"
    "Oh, you know, master, I couldn't find a speeder I really liked..."

"Then we decided to come and rescue you."
    "Good job."

And then Anakin rescues Obi-Wan from Dooku's killing blow.

18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Anakin and Obi-Wan were about 16 years apart. During their master/apprenticeship Anakin thought of Obi-Wan more like his father figure. After his knighthood, they thought of one another as brothers. Not to mention Anakin's growing relationship with his other father figure, Palpatine.