main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Anakin's mom know she was impregnated by a Sith Lord?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kimblee, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimblee

Kimblee Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2009
    This is kind of blurry to me. I know that he was made from the Force or whatever, but was his mom in on it.

I've never fully understood the thing behind Anakin's birth. Anyone care to enlighten me?

-KB-

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's left to the viewer to decide how Anakin was born: Either by Plagueis' manipulations, or from the Force.

I personally favor the second option because it leads to alot of possible interpretations about Anakin's fall being predetermined or not.

*BUT* it's completely up to the viewer.

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

there is no evidence of a Sith being involved at all.

Shmi says there was no father and believes it in her heart, Qui-Gonn can tell see is not lying and tells the Council that Anakin was concieved by the midichlorians.

there is some speculation that Darth Plagius's power of creating life brought about Shmi's pregnancy, but there is no evidence to support it.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Darth Boba summed this up the best.

I like it non-commital like it is now but if I had to have it one way I'd prefer the Sith angle. Just because it would be a very sly way to use the Jedi's own prophesy against them.

And I think Shmi lays it out perfectly. She doesn't now how it happened, it just happened. I suspect the pregnancy happened without the involvment of "sex" what so ever, thus adding to the theories about Anakin's birth.

5. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001
    my only problem with the Sith theory is that it really is not in the movies at all
    there is only some vague lines by Palpatine that i always viewed as his manipulation of Anakin's obsession with trying to keep Padme alive, rather than something based on actual truth

and how does Luke fit in, being a grandson of the dark side?

i dont know
    i wouldnt be totally opposed to it, but it just seems to be too big of something to not be in the movies

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That in no way precludes Sith involvement. We're not assuming Plagueis actually slept with her.

7. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    According to Wook, Plagueis died in 46 BBY and Anakin was born in 42 BBY.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    According to Wook, Padme died from a broken bone in her throat.

So you can't trust Wook.:)

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    And according to GL in the director's commentary, it's deliberately left open.

George>Wook. :)

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In the ROTS commentary, Rick McCallum refers to the "opera scene" revealing Anakin's origin.

Then again, since it's Rick McCallum and not Lucas, people tend to discount that.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What's wrong with Anakin being born 42BBY?

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Nothing; the implication was that Anakin was conceived after Plageuis' death.

13. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    True. Maybe if that Darth Plagueis novel had been approved, we would know when Palpy destroyed your Muun. (Incredibly lame pun I couldn't resist.) He seems incapable of destroying your son, though. (Ditto.)

14. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006

No, the official autopsy that the Jedi and Bail Organa doctored on bail's ship SAID that's why she died and that she was still pregnant and the baby died with her.

15. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    It totally comes from the film. In fact, that's the only source I know that implies it at all. I remember the first time I went to see ROTS, everyone in the group I was with, both hardcore and casual fans understood and started whispering that this is how Anakin was born. Sure Palpatine could have been lying, but that's not very interesting IMO. And even assuming he was telling the truth, it still leaves Anakin's conception wide open to whatever interpretation you prefer.

Either way, Sith or Force (or both!), Shmi knew nothing of what was going on. No sex was involved. She just woke up one day to discover she was pregnant.

16. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    I've always viewed that scene as the prequel equivalent of the "I am your father" scene. I've always just assumed that Palpatine was the one to manipulate the midichlorians, as he learned from Plagueis.

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Seeing as how Palpatine lied, twisted the truth, and manipulated people throughout the entire Prequel series I tend to think that this is what was going on. It totally fits in with where Palpatine's true power was....in pushing people subtlely to do his bidding. Then again, I got the feeling that Anakin was generally distracted at this point in time and did not really catch the subtext of the conversation.

I will certainly agree with you on the fact that if it was a dark side induced conception, Shmi knew nothing about it. I don't think she was the type who would just come out and say something crazy like "There was no father!" when "Eh, some spice junkie from Mos Eisley. I don't even remember his name. It was a one night stand. It gets LONELY in this karking desert" would have been just fine.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Shmi was probably telling the truth, so there were unusual circumstances, though I lean more towards the Force did it, rather than Plaeguis.

I don't think Palpatine ever figured out how to manipulate the midichlorians, did he? Plagueis might've, but I thought I read somewhere that he figured out how to live forever... and was then killed in his sleep or something, as a lesson to always be on one's guard or something. Anyway, during the opera scene (at least I think it was that scene) Palpatine hinted he knew, but that conversation was also tailored to appeal to Anakin specifically, aimed especially at his fear of losing people (starting with his mother, and now primarily about Padme).

Anakin might not have entirely caught the subtext, the implications, but he probably got some of it, that there were Force powers that could save anyone. At least during the novelization, during that fateful duel in the Chancellor's office between Mace Windu and Palpatine, Anakin couldn't let Palpatine and his knowledge die... hence why Anakin cut off Mace's arm. Then after Mace has gone flying out the window, then Palpatine says he doesn't know how to do it (can't remember if that was said in the movie or the book, probably the movie), but that together, with their combined power, they'll figure it out anyway. In the novel, Vader was plotting to kill Palpatine as soon as he did have the knowledge. And in the future, Palpatine depended more on clone bodies and transference rather than trying to make himself immortal.

Otherwise, it probably comes down to interpretation, Anakin's origin. Not to mention whether you prefer to think of Anakin actually being the one mentioned in prophecy, or a Sith experiment that turned on them. Or maybe the Sith experiment was meant to cause their downfall, who knows.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hmmmm...let's review the scene:

Palpatine muses that Darth Plagueis could even influence the midi-chlorians to create life, while giving Anakin a longing look of amazement. And the kicker:

The backdrop is sperm flying around and entering eggs, accompanied by ominous and evil-sounding music.

No, the Sith didn't have anything to do with Anakin's creation :p

20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    But you can trust Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows, where the autopsy revealed that Padme died from a fractured hyoid bone from Vader's Force-choke.

And for the record, the Wook indeed referenced CN2 at that point. :)

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I (and 2 or 3 other people here, AFAIK) still think Plagueis created Palpatine and The Force reacted by creating Anakin.

22. Master_JorathOldin

Master_JorathOldin Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2008
    What happends at the Mos Eisley Cantina, stays at the Mos Eisely Cantina :p

23. CurlyWookie

CurlyWookie Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2009
    As corny as it sounds, I'm sticking to she died of a broken heart. So CN2 is telling us that Obi Wan neglected to tell them in that med center on Polis Massa that she had neck trauma? And the med droids are baffeled about her death when they could have found a broken bone on a med scan? She wasn't in respiratory distress. The hyoid bone thing is probably a red herring on her official death record. They want Vader and Palps to think she died on the landing platform on Mustafar and not had the babies.

You can count me in on Plaguis created Palpatine and the Force made Anakin to balance things. Anakin was born as Palpatine began his political career and placed his plans in motion. Padme died on a med center table as the good in Anakin died away on a med center table and he was truly reborn as Darth Vader. The Force is constantly balancing things.

But if you're a Sith Lord Munn and you can create life, wouldn't you make the perfect Sith in your image?

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Nobody died from a fractured hyoid bone. It would be like dying from a broken toe. The fracture to the hyoid bone is an indicator of strangulation. And Padme was strangled. Even if Padme died from a broken heart or whatever, any autopsy is going to find that, and conclude strangulation was the cause of death.

25. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001

i can buy that one more than the Sith creating Anakin

the Sith experimenting and making their greatest Sith
    the Force countering by making Anakin, who would eventually destroy that Sith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.