main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did anyone ask Anakin what he was doing on Tatooine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Sep 16, 2017.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    In AOTC, Obi-Wan knew Anakin was on Tatooine. And he was also aware of his dreams about his mother (which he seemed surprisingly disinterested in). Yoda also sensed tremendous pain in Anakin all the way on Coruscant. I get that they were pre-occupied with trying to prevent war and whatnot, but did anyone ever inquire Anakin about this? He would've undoubtedly pulled out his signature "I don't wanna talk about it" line, but that doesn't seem like something they would've glossed over. Is there an EU story I'm unaware of that touches on this? Your thoughts?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin does tell Obi-wan and the Council that he went to Tatooine because of his mother. But it is apparent that he wasn't entirely truthful of what transpired. I'm not sure what's being said in the current EU, but in the old EU, it was something that was addressed a few times in the "Star Wars: Republic" monthly series.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "You were on Tatooine. What happened?"
    "Um...nothing."
    "Nothing at all?"
    "Um...yeah. Not a thing."
    "Didn't see anyone? Didn't do anything?"
    "Nope, not a thing."
    "What about your pain and anguish that we felt?"
    "Um...I stubbed my toe. It really hurt. Ouch!"
    "Well, okay then."
    "Thanks."
    "By the way, how's you Mom doing?"
    (Anakin kills everyone in the room.)
    "Any more questions?"

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    From what I remember, he only told them that he got to Tatooine due to his mother, and his pain was in relation to her death. The grisly details and the whole 'I slaughtered an entire camp down to the children' bit, he left aside.

In one of the now not-canon comics, he did tell a Jedi exactly what had transpired (but not before trying to kill him first, of course, due to the Jedi being from a Tusken tribe.) The Jedi basically said, "I'll keep your secret, but you must owe up to your failures and report this to the Council -- this is your burden to bear." This Jedi would eventually become Darth Krayt which is...why he's no longer canon. :p To be honest, he never made much sense to me because it's like, "Oh, a fellow Jedi just went berserk and attacked me but I'll let it slide because he just told me of how he gave into his anger and wiped out an entire tribe of my own people for what they did to his mother." Then twenty years later he's all, "Raaagh! That punk kid became Darth Vader! I know, I'll become a Sith Lord because that'll totes solve everything!!"

Yeeeah... really glad he's not canon anymore. :D

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yoda felt he was in terrible pain, which could easily be taken as the death of his mother. Yoda/Obi-Wan however should have been extremely remorseful that they held him back from going to help her.

I think by the time the war was up and running, Anakin being rebellious and not following instructions for the millionth time was the least of their worries.

lord_sidious_ and wobbits like this.
  6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Considering what happened, it's incredible that the incident is not reflected on in the movies in any way afterwards. Whether and Anakin lied about it or the Jedi being either credulous or oblivious to it adds a certain specific dimension. But we are left to imagine what happened when different possible scenarios put a different complexion on what comes later.

7. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I think that Obi-wan knew to an extent, but didn't pry. He seemed to know about Padme and didn't get involved.

Obi-wan is so perceptive, I think he surely knew something. I bet he didn't want to pull that string, especially with the war going on. I think that is something Ob1 was saving for peace time to confront. One problem at a time.

8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    So Anakin's path to the darkside was unchecked by those that should have know for the sake of discretion?

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He was getting power converters obvs.

squir1y and The_Phantom_Calamari like this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Obi-wan did it because he believed that she could be of help to him, in a way that he couldn't be. That's why he went to Padme's apartment before leaving for Utapau.

OBI-WAN: "Has Anakin been to see you?"

PADME: "Several times...I was so happy to hear he was accepted on the Jedi Council."

OBI-WAN: "I know...he deserves it. He is impatient, strong willed, very opinionated, but truly gifted."

PADME: "You're not just here to say hello. Something is wrong, isn't it?"

OBI-WAN: "You should be a Jedi, Padme."

PADME: "You're not very good at hiding your feelings."

OBI-WAN: "It's Anakin...He's becoming moody and detached. He's been put in a difficult position as the Chancellor's representative...but I think it's more than that. I was hoping he may have talked to you."

PADME: "Why would he talk to me about his work?"

OBI-WAN: "Neither of you is very good at hiding your feelings either."

PADME: "Don't give me that look."

OBI-WAN: "I know how he feels about you."

PADME: "What did he say?"

OBI-WAN: "Nothing. He didn't have to."

PADME: "I don't know what you're talking about."

OBI-WAN: "I know you both too well. I can see you two are in love. Padme, I'm worried about him. I fear your relationship has confused him. He's changed considerably since we returned... Padme, I'm not telling the Council about any of this. I...I hope I didn't upset you. We're all friends, I care about both of you..."

PADME: "Thank you, Obi-wan."

OBI-WAN: "Please do what you can to help him."

He had figured it out, but not how bad it was. Not that they were married and not that she was pregnant. It didn't happen overnight. It took a good long while and not too long ago, he tried to broach the subject, but Anakin kept lying to him and it was afterwards, that he finally figured it out.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I am guessing the clone wars was just alot to handle at the moment and no one had time to ask

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.