main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did anyone check the newborn Luke and Leia's midichlorian counts?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by strider24, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strider24

strider24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    When Luke and Leia were born at the end of Revenge of the Sith, did Yoda or Obi Wan check their midichlorian counts? If this was the case could the Chosen One's own children possibly have a count near his, not as high though. What does everybody think?

2. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I don't think they needed to. They just knew that they were strong in the Force.

Good Stuff

3. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    I think the midi-chlorian count is the same as the parent(s).

Anakin count of over 20,0000 means that Luke and Leia would have the same amount.

No need to check. But they may have anyway, just to check that Kenobi wasnt up to no good.

4. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I was just thinking about this like two days ago. To give more of a point to Midichloirans they needed to talk about them. This was really the first known time a Jedi had a baby so they couldnt know if they would be force sensitive or not. I think before Yoda says 'hidden safe the chicldren must be kept.' or whatever he says right before that Kenobi or Yoda should of mentioned thier counts.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I dont think they could even KNOW that Midichlorians are hereditary since no jedi has ever conceived children before!

Either a)the thought of hereditary midichlorian count never crossed their minds, perhaps due to the somewhat hasty circumstances of the births, which doesnt seem all that likely,
    or b)they did indeed recieve a midichlorian count along with other standard medical checkout that is undoubtedly done at birth (i.e., to find out blood type, any diseases or complications, etc.); i dont think they would have been too surprised to discover that the Chosen One's children were very high in midichlorians but it would have been the first time this theory would have been officially confirmed.

6. Evil_Imp

Evil_Imp Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2005
    I,m sure they check it sooner or later. but assumimg they are the chosen ones children, it would likely be assumed that their count was high as well. perhaps Yoda and ObiWan can feel their force power also. but really i never thought of it till now.

7. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Regardless of what we see in the film, they had to know whethor or not Midi's hereditary. Because in all the centuries of Jedi culture, atleast ONE Jedi must have asked the question and explored it. It's possible that it wasn't mentioned because they didn't have the technology with them to give the children the tests. However Qui Gon had the right equipment and he wasn't exactly planning to find Anakin, let alone stop on Tatooine. So chances are they had the tools and the insight.

I think the proof is in the series. Qui Gon asks Shmi who Anakin's father was once he realised his affinity to the force. That single simple line shows that Midi's are COMMONLY known to pass on genetically.

The best filmaker's strive to tell their story in the most efficient manner possible; that is a tightly paced script and dialogue that's to the point and creates an exchange of ideas and a change of perspective. Lucas was simply being efficient by not mentioning the Midi count of the twins. Perhaps it was overly efficient because it was a one liner deal, but efficiency and lack of redundency were the ultimate reasons it's never mentioned.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Qui-gon: "Who was the father?"

Ben: "The Emperor knew as did I, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him."

They knew that Midichlorians can be passed on. According to Lucas, the Jedi can have physical relationships. They just cannot become attached to someone. So this is why Qui-gon asked Shmi who Anakin's father was, because he figured that it had to have been a Jedi. And why Obi-wan and Palpatine knew that Anakin's children could be a threat.

9. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    With not one but TWO Jedi in the room, would you really need a midichlorian count to tell you how powerful the kids are?

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It most situations, yes. Because a Jedi/Sith cannot sense the potential in one who has not used the Force consciously or actively. That's why Qui-gon had to test his blood. He had an idea based on what Anakin said to him during dinner and what Padme told him about his conception. The test was the final clue that he needed to put together a hypothesis.

11. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Not only that, if you look into the background of several Jedi (EU) they are traced back to be relatives of other Jedi. It's pretty common knowledge that it's going to get passed on to the kids.

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I don't think they really had to, although they could have. I think they could tell how powerful they were going to be just by being Anakin's offspring.

13. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I think it's appropriate that the Jedi did not check the twins' midi-chlorian count as it reflects the changing philosophy of the Jedi through the saga. The Force begins to take on a much more mythological and mystical cast if you view the saga in numerical order; I can't think that this is not on purpose. I like to think that along with realizing that they were incorrect in not living for the moment to see the rising threats of the Sith, Yoda and Ben became aware that "power levels" were not what determined a Jedi's strength; it was his passivity, strength of mind, and compassion--traits that Luke eventually develops.

Yoda and Ben were really unsure of what would happen with the twins. At the end of Revenge of the Sith, Vader is presumably dead and therefore the twins were simply put into hiding from the Emperor. As Yoda says, "Until the time is right, into hiding we must go," revealing that he no longer puts such importance in prescience, deciding to let the Force guide him. For these reasons, I like that Luke and Leia were not checked (at least not that the audience can see) because the later movies put much more emphasis in strength in friendship, love, "letting go," and much less quantitative and palpable concepts.

14. ulien

ulien Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    I`ve found somewhere it was around 14 000, but I`m pretty sure it wasn`t official

15. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Certainly nothing in the film covered the midi counts. I'm sure Yoda and Obi-Wan assumed that some Force ability had to have been passed on through simple DNA.

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Thats probably not what was on their mind at the time. They probably just figured 'hm,these are the children of the chosen one,there going to be pretty much around the same as Anakin.'

They were probably more occupied with Padme/seperating the kids/going into isolation/destroying the Empire.

They had alot to plan for,I doubt they were going to stop to check the kids blood to say 'they're strong,but we wont be able to use them for another 20 years.meh.'

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Obi-Wan: You're lucky to be alive and in one piece. (wipes one of Luke's cuts)

Luke: What are you doing?

Obi-Wan: Checking your blood for infections.

18. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    good question!!! possibly they are all too stupid too!

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    We had speculated forever in the 3SA whether or not this would happen and if it would be spoken that Luke's midichlorian count was exponentially higher than Leia's.

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    That was always one of those things like Darth Vader building his lightsaber for me, though. Unnecessary.

21. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I'd be surprised if Yoda and Obi-Wan would rely on midichlorian counts by that point, its certainly not something I can imagine them teaching Luke about how to go about rebuilding the Order. Forget all the mechanical and scientific mumbo jumbo and just rely on their instincts from now on.

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    It just leaves things a bit ambiguous. If they're identical twins, why wasn't their midi count the same? Why wasn't their memory of Padme the same?

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope.

"At the center of the movie is a lot of exposition, it's a lot of explaining what has happened, and why things are the way they are. In this particular case, there is a whole issue of Luke's sister, and you know, the fact that they were twins. Which is an element that has to be revealed, which comes in later, in terms of who is the 'other' that was talked about in Empire Strikes Back. And how could that person become as powerful as Luke? Well obviously if they were twins, then if she were trained, then, she has the same abilities as Luke has. That becomes an important issue, especially in terms of resolving all the love triangles."

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary.

In other words, she's equal in the Force power like Luke. The only reason she didn't get trained in the first place is that she was captured by Vader. Thus Luke began the training. And afterwards, Yoda sticks to the Code which says that they can only train one Padawan at a time.

I think they would've given him just enough to go on. The rest he can learn once he walks back into the Temple, after everythings all said and done.

24. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I think both Master Yoda and Master Kenobi had a good idea that Luke and Leia's midichlorian count was just as high as Anakin's or perhaps higher. If Kenobi witnessed Anakin's midichlorian count read beyond the charts, he knew that Luke's and Leia's was also.

25. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    There is no way Luke and Leia have a higher count then Anakin. Anakin was concieved by the force. The twin's had a non-force sensitive mother and the fact that they were twins would lead me to believe that the midichlorians could have been "spread thin" so to speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.