main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did anyone else feel that the AFI Tribute to George Lucas completely underappreciated the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Master_Eric, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Eric

Jedi_Master_Eric Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 2005
    I am very glad that George has recieved such an honor, but I felt a little mad that they just brushed the PT under the rug. Sure, Jimmy Smits talked for a whole 2.5 seconds and there was a short film-by-film synopsis of TPM, AOTC, & ROTS, but I didn't feel it was enough! Did anyone else who saw it get this impression?

2. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    totally agree. The Prequels make up half the freakin saga and they barly did anything, all they did was talk about how the CGI was good.

3. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    yeah..i felt they were kinda overlooked..BUT you have to remember; regardless of how each of us percieves the PT (i love them)..they were not as well recieved as the OT. The OT was also groundbreaking, til that point 2001 was the king of Sci-fi/fantasy. The motion control camera and ILM did things never seen before. It was a simple story about good and evil and (it had the same problem with hokey dialogue and acting the PT has; which some can't see or deny) people ate it up. Special effects are just an afterthought nowadays cause everyone is pretty much on the same page (with ILM being the top of course). The PT had a backstory and politics,and origins to tell which I guess people thought kinda slowed things down..

anyway..at least we got something. I wish the PT would just get a little more respect. I guess ROTS has helped; but TPM and AOTC have still been overlooked.

4. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    I was really surprised that Hayden, Ewan, or Natalie weren't there.

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "The Prequels make up half the freakin saga and they barly did anything, all they did was talk about how the CGI was good."

That's the only thing I would recommend to a friend about this film.

6. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    are you saying they should appreciate and they should recognize the prequels more? I hate to break it to you but the prequels suck, classic star wars is the best. yeah yeah, its fun to make fun of jar jar and all that... but honestly, if there is anyone out there that actually thinks the prequels are better then the oldschool star wars, they should get smacked.

7. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    The Prequels have'nt been around long enough to merit a reputation such as the Classic Trilogy.

Personally, I think they did the right thing w/ the somewhat "overlook" of the PT.

In addition, by today's Hollywood standards, theirs nothing real special about the PT. Technology has reached a point where the CGI in the PT is commonplace whereas w/ the Classic trilogy, the effects at the time were unheard of, which is why the Classic trilogy is so much more praised. Not to mention the more enjoyable simplistic plots of the Classic Trilogy.

p.s. I'm not a PT basher. I love the PT, just not as much as the CT.

8. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    I agree that the old ones are better and that any one who thinks that the prequels are better should be smacked upside the head but the prequals don't totally suck just the acting, the action sequences are pretty cool.

9. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    I guess I deserve to be smacked.

Peoples problem with the Prequels is they think its all kiddy and stuff, thats only the outside, if you look deeper its alot darker and a more complicated plot which no one understands.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Well, what did you expect, Jedi_Master_Eric. The classics we're what George Lucas was known for. They made him who he is today-- A film legend.

11. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Well TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR i guess i need like 15 smacks to the head then.

12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    As do I, the prequels are FAR more superior than the originals.

13. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    There definitely is an inferiority complex among PT fans. I don't think the PT was that badly shortsighted at the AFI tribute. Sure, they weren't given a ton of focus, but they were given a respectable amount of time. I didn't have a problem with it.

And I say this as one of the biggest fans of the PT out there.

14. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Every thread turns into a OT vs. PT thread. I am sick of it.

Therefore, I believe you ALL should be smacked.

But, yes, since there are generally mixed reviews of the PT, it doesn't and WON'T get as much recognition as the OT. Just like Howard the Duck, the PT is considered the nadirs of Lucas' career.

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't bashing the PT. I was simply saying the OT is expected to be focused on more.

16. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

May 29, 2005
    okay if I really think about it... you guys really shouldn't be smacked for liking the new ones more then the old ones. some people might possible find the new ones to be mind blowing and magical and amazing and fun... but I highly doubt it. I'm not really trying to say I hate the new star wars, its just like, who cares the new ones aren't nearly as great as the old school ones.

and whats this talk about AFI? thats a band, a band that plays music. when I saw this thread I thought it was the band AFI.

good charlotte like star wars... and mark from blink182 likes star wars too, I've been meaning to make a thread about that but I don't know where to make it in.

17. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    IF those crap bands like star wars then im going to stop.

18. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR AFI = American Film Institute. :)

The PT did seem to get a small nod of appreciation. It seemed like the PT was a joke. When Jimmy Smitts gave his speech to George Lucas he looked like he was about to blush when he thanked GL for allowing him to be involved in the AOTC and ROTS. And once again...I'm probably reading too much into it. :p

Anywho-it was great just to see GL and his films honored. Long overdue. If they were to honor all 6 films plus GL other works, the show would have ran longer than the Oscars and frankly...having the Oscars once a year is more than enough.

19. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I felt the coverage was balanced, personally. Sure they spent more time on the originals. Those are the films that pretty much made his career. But then they did show almost the entire climax of the Episode 3 Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel, so I think the prequels received their due respect.

20. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    "are you saying they should appreciate and they should recognize the prequels more? I hate to break it to you but the prequels suck, classic star wars is the best. yeah yeah, its fun to make fun of jar jar and all that... but honestly, if there is anyone out there that actually thinks the prequels are better then the oldschool star wars, they should get smacked".

So you think I should be smacked do you? To me the prequels are not only better but much better. I think most about the new films is better. SITH is by far the greatest film and the new films even make the OT stronger, sadder and more emotional. And I don't say this in to criticze the old films - they are three brilliant films and they are the reason Harrison Ford is my all time favourite actor. But the new films have better actors. Overall Portman is much better than Fisher, McGregor is better than Ford (only just) and Christensen is better than Hamill. And actors like Lee and McDiarmid are certainly at least equals to Guinnes and Cushing. And the likes of Morrsion, Jackson and especially Liam Neeson are better than other OT actors and that is just a fact. The new films also have a more complex and interesting story (not just Vader chasing Luke and one action scene after another. It's great fun not as good storywise) and much better duels and battles. But of course the OT will always be remembered as better - we are talking about the most popular film trilogy of all times and films that changed the way films were made. And naturally there are some elements that are better there - especially the presence of Darth Vader and that of his droid C-3PO (I agree he is much, much better in OT). The villains ain't as threatening in the news film but their structure is just different. Personally I look upon them as 1 film and all of them are great.

21. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    But, yes, since there are generally mixed reviews of the PT, it doesn't and WON'T get as much recognition as the OT.

Actually, all the SW movies had mixed reviews.

Just like Howard the Duck, the PT is considered the nadirs of Lucas' career.

Hardly. "Howard the Duck," which he had no creative involvement in, was slammed by the critics and a huge bomb at the box office. The PT had mixed reviews like all the SW movies as I noted above, and all were box office smashes.

It's been repeated over and over what a "disaster" the PT was, how "everyone" hated it, how it made Lucas into a laughingstock and an embarrassment -- but of course, no evidence is ever given of any of these claims. Why? Because the actual evidence doesn't support those claims, just like the nonsense the media pushed about how "The Matrix" beat out TPM and "disgusted SW fans flocked to 'Matrix,' the epitome of cool." (If they did, how come "Matrix" made half of what TPM did at the box office?) The PT may not be as well-liked as the OT, but so what? Few movies have been. The PT is still liked, quite a bit.

okay if I really think about it... you guys really shouldn't be smacked for liking the new ones more then the old ones. some people might possible find the new ones to be mind blowing and magical and amazing and fun... but I highly doubt it.

Highly doubt it all you want, but I'm afraid that there are plenty of people who've found the PT to be mind-blowing, and for a lot of today's children, the PT was their first exposure to SW -- it blew them away as much as the OT blew my generation away back in the late 70s and early 80s.

I'm not really trying to say I hate the new star wars, its just like, who cares the new ones aren't nearly as great as the old school ones.p

I disagree. While an OT film (ESB) is still my favorite, TPM is second. I like both AOTC and ROTS better than ROTJ, and sometimes better than ANH, depending on my mood.

22. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    This will turn into yet another OT vs. PT thread. I hope this gets locked.

23. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

May 29, 2005
    well uh... whatever I don't care. but I do love blink-182, they kick ass, most people hate them becuase they only know like the ****** songs buy them, but if you listen to there good songs then you might like them... such as "mothers day" "voyer" "grandpa" "family reunion" " anthem"

man, I am way off topic.

24. XVIII_XV_XIII_V

XVIII_XV_XIII_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    Lucas' remark on his 'wooden dialogue' just brought a huge grin to my face:p

25. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

I tried to break out the STAR WARS DVD for kids on a few occassions. You know, being a fan and trying to assemilate the world and all. I dare not put on the originals knowing that their eyes have been adjusted by flashy cartoons, pixar animation, spy-kids, pokememan, and all the CGI their little hearts could take. So I get the prequels, namely, TPM. I figure I could get some satisfaction out of seeing the kids enjoy TPM on the merit alone that it's a STAR WARS film regardless of what I think about it. They squirmed restlessly and before I knew it, I was the only one in the room. They hadn't even made it to Naboo yet. I tried this two more times. Once when I worked at a day program, and another for my x-girlfriends Son. Same results: Bored stupid. Kids aint reppin the prequels in my neck of the woods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.