main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did anyone else see the marathon on Dec 17?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I had the fortune of having a theatre playing the marathon about an hour and a half from where I live. A few minutes after the tickets went on sale, I pre-ordered them for a rather hefty price, but considring it's seven movies, it's quite a steal

It was easily one of the best days of my life. So many beautiful visuals and moments on the big screen followed by a viewing of Episode VII a day before the "official premiere" date. A dream come true. Oh, and playing Wookiee hooky was nice too

Not to mention the audience. Being surrounded by dozens of fellow SW nerds - I was pleasantly surprised by how pleasant the crowd was. No talking during or anything. Let alone the fact that I saw people in Jedi robes, Yoda slippers, Chewbacca onesies, etc.

Oh frig, and the stuff - I've still got my lanyard, now hanging up on my wall. Living in a theatre for 20 hours was interesting, for sure

Anyone else here who had the same opportunity? How was the experience? How was your audience? What was the whole thing like in general?

2. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    ugh, I would've done anything to gone to a marathon. There was one over an hour away from me but was sold out by the time I tried to purchase tickets. Gonna try to find a marathon for episode 8, no doubt. I gotta see the PT in cinemas one more time. Along with the originals. Bet it was amazing being in there for the entirety of the saga surrounded by people with so much passion for it!

3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Question: was there break time between films?

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    15 minute break times between episodes, one hour between PT and OT, then a half hour plus 10 minutes of trailers before TFA (the first six had no trailers before)

So basically enough time to go to the bathroom and stretch your legs

5. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    I wish they would do something similiar in the country where I live! It sounds like a really awesome experience!

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I went to one in Boston, and I have to say, it was pretty cool seeing all the films in the theatre again, noticing details I don't often notice when watching them on my laptop, lol. There were a few things I did wrong, however. The first is trying to go to sleep from 5pm-11:30pm the night before (the marathon began at 1am) without really changing my sleep schedule prior. The result is that I couldn't sleep during those hours and ended up snoozing during various parts of AOTC, ROTS, and TESB :/. If they ever have another marathon, I'm going to bed at 7pm for a week beforehand, just to get my body used to sleeping earlier. The other thing was watching it while sitting in non-reclining theatre seats. I just can't sleep well in those, even during the breaks. If I do another theatrical marathon it will have to be in a theatre with reclining seats or else I'm just going to have a home marathon instead. Other than that, it was pretty fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    I didn't. The closest marathon was about four hours away. But I've only seen TPM (3D) and TFA on the big screen so I think I might actually take the trip for VIII.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  8. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    I agree. I'm making the trip to see a marathon before Episode 8 if they once again dont do one in my city

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Never did done a marathon.

Did do a spiffy twenty-mile walk, though. Legs were a little vexed afterward.

Wait. Star Wars? Wouldn't you get bum sores? I don't like the sound of this. I feel clenched.

10. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Some theaters did a marathon of all 6 movies before TFA premiered?

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes. Same with when "The Avengers" came out in 2012 and AMC theaters did a marathon of the Phase One films.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Nope. Marathoned the Saga the weekend before. I had finals that week, which meant I had no time to be goofing off watching SW.

Though, ironically, my final paper in my creative writing class involved remixes and so I used Star Wars heavily in that.

13. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I hope they do a marathon for R1. They shouldn't do more than 7 movies in a marathon, for health reasons, so they're gonna have to snip one of the movies, probably TPM.

So AOTC and ROTS before the 7pm premiere of R1. Then the OT plus tfa overnight.

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm sad I missed this, but my schedule didn't work out, and that date was pretty set in stone. If they had any other opportunity, I'd take it up in a heartbeat. Settling for "just" the premiere of The Force Awakens was not bad by any means, but I'm a big proponent of seeing films as they were intended in theaters. Not seeing some of my favorite films of all time (as well as some I've never even seen in theaters) was a pity.

15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I really wanted to. I was even ready to shell out some serious dough to go to the marathon at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles. I missed out on trying to buy a ticket when they first went on sale, but people were selling them for anywhere from $150-$300. Apparently that was where it was considered to be the big premiere event, with the marathon preceding it.

But I would have been by myself. And when my brother who lives out of town bought us tickets for the 7 pm showing at the local AMC, I figured waiting in line all day with my brother to go see Star Wars, like we did sixteen years ago in 1999, would make for a better memory than sitting in a theatre with a bunch of people I don't know just to say I was there. Not that it wouldn't have been fun, and I would have probably made some good friends like I did at Celebration Anaheim.

But yea, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a friend who did it. Two things he mentioned that were funny: one, apparently some people bought tickets for the entire marathon, waited until ANH was going to start, then got mad when all the good seats were taken by people who came in time to see the PT as well. Two, apparently in order to keep people awake midway through, the theater turned the temperature way down. His comment was "I am awake, and the theater closely resembles Hoth."

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i love watching movies but there's no way i could do it for that long. maybe at home though.

18. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Yup... there was a few around my area.

19. BB-K8

BB-K8 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2016
    I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. It can seem so daunting but it was absolutely worth it. The audience was pretty good. Though I had a little girl next to me who kept repeating lines in Ep I, luckily that didn't last too long. The enthusiasm was pretty excellent. Lots of cheering!

Only downside was the food. I got tired of the options pretty quickly. I'd do it again in a heartbeat I recently wrote a blog post about it, check it out here if you'd like!

20. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I really wanted to do this, but I couldn't make it. More than likely I won't be able to make it if they do it for VIII either. I plan on making every effort to go to the marathon for IX if they do one, though.