main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Did anyone else think the Sell/Sequel was a JOKE

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    When I first heard Disney bought Lucasfilms it was on twitter and a tweet from IMDB, at first I thought it was a parody IMDB page, then i looked close. I really thought, "Someone hacked IMDB's twitter" but then I did a google news search. This was SO out of the blue for me, not sure if it was for all of you. I could NOT believe it.

Fish On The Sand likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, when i first read it i was waiting for a cotton eye joe or for spaghetti to fall out of someone's pockets for sure.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I saw it on Steve.S facebook and thought it was a joke. Did some quick searches and was gobsmacked!

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  4. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I was shocked when I saw the headline and when I read the story, but I knew it wasn't April 1st, so I thought it was amazing, but true. A ST is something I've wanted for a long time but wasn't sure we'd ever get, so to finally be getting one is a surreal feeling.

5. Undreamt

Undreamt Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    It was so out of nowhere. Just weird.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think we all did!

AND I seriously thought for a few seconds that it was April, and I had only been thinking it was October. It was a really weird feeling. My head still kinda hurts

7. Fish On The Sand

Fish On The Sand Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Thought it was some elaborate Halloween joke, then I did a quick google search on Tuesday and dozens of other similar links popped up. I'm still shocked, terrified, and excited all at once. Great care we must take; train ourselves to let go of everything we fear to lose. In other words, I'll prepare for the worst, and really, really, really hope for the best.

Darth_Invidious and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did. I kept looking to see if I'd missed an Onion link.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It was actually posted on the JCC without a link to the article, so I was incredulously demanding a source.

10. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    This. The exact same thing. The buyout had me in tears, but after a long day the news of Episode 7 sunk in...

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I thought it was an April Fools' Day joke, which was really, really weird because normally there are, like, barriers in my mind that would keep it from forgetting it's October and not a different month.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I read it on a Theforce.net Facebook post so I couldn't really find anyway to disprove it in my mind.

13. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I first read it on a forum and was overjoyed, then saw a post where someone said it was a joke, and I was brought back to earth and thought "yeah, that must be it". Then a short time later I saw the official news.

Totally out of the blue, since RotS I had been sure there would be no new Star Wars films for at least a very long time, perhaps forever, until the other night.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember in the days just prior to ROTS when it was predicted that people would come out the theater crying, not because of ROTS, but because there would never be a Star Wars movie again.

15. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Yeah and that was the atmosphere at the time. Hell I felt like crying seeing the opening crawl and thinking it was the last one I'd ever see in the cinema!

16. jainasky

jainasky Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    I did! I thought it was an April 1st thread at first.

After I saw it here I was so excited!

17. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I was follow a twitter that has fack silly facts and it was right under the IMDB one so I thought, this me be some RT joke by them. How did this news not get out. Most of time we always hear rumors but i havent heard a thing

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I actually heard about it from my younger brother, so I knew it was for real... since he only deals in absolutes.
    Then I tried logging in here, for an hour... that was all the *official confirmation I needed.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't think it was a joke. I heard about it on TV on the 6:00 news, complete with Star Wars references. :p

20. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I was skeptical too. I saw a blurb from RLM on Facebook, then had to research it myself.

If it was just Disney buying out LucasFilm, I wouldn't have given it much more thought, but when I saw they plan to make more movies, I think part of my brain exploded.

21. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I looked at my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

22. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Yep. But when a quick google search threw up a shed load of articles I started dancing.

23. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That post is where I first saw it. I thought it was fake. I'm still shocked.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I saw it on IGN and thought it was some kind of prank. Then I went to the official site and watched the video. I was flabbergasted and still am!

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Saw it on Tom Kane's Facebook page. Thought it was an April Fools' joke aswell. I didn't even read the full press release to learn that they were also going to make the sequel trilogy due to the shock I was in.

The first time I watched RotS in theaters I looked at my watch from time to time because I was worried about how much time I had left of Star Wars.

thesevegetables likes this.