main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did anyone experience audio blackouts when seeing Indy 4?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by halibut, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Apparently it's a new method of tracking where pirated copies come from. I didn't notice anything myself.

2. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004

what are audio blackouts?

there was a sound problem during the scene with alan dale , the voices sounded a bit strangled for a while .

3. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's sound completely cutting out for a few seconds

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    We actually had problems with the audio opening night. I haven't experienced it since, though. Maybe because we went to another theater. But it was during the jungle chase. The audio cut out once or twice and it was enough to cause a stir in the audience. Not sure if it was what you were referring to or a theater problem.

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Others have mentioned jungle chase as well.

From what I can gather, different theatres (or cinemas if you come from the UK like me :p ) got different reels with different "audio gaps".

So that when the pirated copies come out, they can trace where it was made. I've read about a LOT of people noticing this, and are not happy.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The only thing I've noticed regarding sound was on a cut between two shots. When Indy and company are in Akator and they walk towards the camera just before the warriors pop out. I hadn't gave it much thought except that it could have been a "reel change."

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, reel changes are normally pretty easy to spot (cigarette burns aside). So it may have been one of these deliberate audio "errors"

8. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    so they're actively damaging the audio to track pirates ?

... and the paying customers are supposed to put up with sound faults ??

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    As long as these gaps aren't on the DVD I don't mind.

I know I didn't notice them in my 3 viewings so far.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was a projectionist for awhile when I was going to tech college. No matter what film I see, if it's on reels (as opposed to digital) I always notice the reel change cues. Once you know they are there you can't miss them.

And I don't recall any audio problems at my showing but then I wasn't looking for any either.

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I heard some low-volume spots when I saw it the second time, though not the first. It was especially noticeable when it happened in places where the music would start to swell... and then the volume would drop.

The audience was not amused, from what I remember.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

The evil Ben Burtt strikes again at John Williams' music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.