main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did AOTC make TPM a better film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by entfirst, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimaster5615

jedimaster5615 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    TPM didn't have a place. Its like a the new guy in town. It was so far away from the other SW movies we had it was just way different. Now that we have AOTC, that new guy has a friend and things are lookin much better. So in summary, "did AOTC make TPM a better film?" Yes it did.

2. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    What about story? Yes, editing, film score, ect are nice to have, but you never once mentioned that the story was good or better in TPM?

3. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    The Phantom Menace probably had a more complex story than Attack Of The Clones, because it had to establish Palpatine's masterplan, and at the same time, it had to introduce us to a whole new galaxy and our main heroes. But really, each individual film is just one single chapter, in a bigger story. So the story in The Phantom Menace, compliments Attack Of The Clones, and vice a versa. The story is superb in both films.

4. MauveLightsaber

MauveLightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Since AOTC came out, I've thought of TPM as "The Hobbit" of the Star Wars universe. A light hearted, rather kid oriented (but still entertaining to adults) intro to a larger, much darker but ultimately optimistic saga.

I have watched TPM once since AOTC came out, and there are several moments that have more impact now, particularly Anakin saying good-bye to his mom:

"Will I ever see you again?"

"What does your heart tell you?"

"Yes ... I guess."

Takes on a *much* sadder tone now.

But at the same time, in my opinion AOTC was *so much* better than TPM, it makes me wonder what could have been. I still love TPM, mind you, but it really isn't up to the standards of the other 4 (yeah, even RotJ).

5. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Natalie_Portmans_Bum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Wow, someone who has said why they like TPM more than AOTC. Thats something. I disagree, but respect that you have shown why. Still, I like TPM, and always will. Same with AOTC. I believe the story in AOTC is much more complex than TPM, and it does WAY more with it. At the end of AOTC the Empire is born and Anakin is on his way to becoming Vader.

6. SY-SNOOTLES

SY-SNOOTLES Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Yes. Yes it did.

BYE!

7. MauveLightsaber

MauveLightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Just remembered another scene in TPM that seems more fun now: when Anakin blows up the reactor in the federation ship, he hits it just above the fuel cells! No wonder he made that good call on Geonosis.

8. THE_BALANCE

THE_BALANCE Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2002
    PTM is now a better film. Trust George Lucas.
    Does Jar Jar really ruin it? I never thought so - I thought Jake LLoyd ruined it!!
    I feel that PTm answers one of my big questions:
    how did the emperor come to power?
    I feel that Ep III will make PTM very very relevant - I garantee it..

9. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
    The bad thing about TPM is that it could have done a lot more. But still, there is now only one more Star Wars film to do.

10. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    And think of how much of the story must be explained in that last film due to a 2 hour intro that could have done so much more.

Jar Jar did not kill the film, nore did the annoyingly cute Anakin or the overall kiddy feel to the film. The thing that ruined the film to me was that so little happened that was important to the saga. TPM is the Hobbit when it should have been the first half of Fellowship of the Ring. That was IMHO the biggest problem with TPM.

11. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
    Yeah, I wish TPM did do more for the Saga. I can't but think its a stand a lone film. Lucas KNEW he was making another trilogie. AOTC is much better in this respect as it feels like a continuation. But Episode 3 will be so good it won't really matter. :)

12. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
  13. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    IT ALREADY WAS BETTER....

14. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    TPM = Good
    AOTC = Better
    Episode III = Best (Without the Ahmed)

15. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    OB3 is right!

16. Mike_Hunt_Returns

Mike_Hunt_Returns Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2002
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPM STINKS. It always has stunk and always will. Its a terrible movie. AOTC is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, but it doesn't improve upon a piece of pooh.

Its simple, if you coat a turd in sugar and decorations, it looks nice but when you bite into it, its still a piece of pooh.

17. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The Phantom Poo?

18. OB3

Mar 11, 2002
    All three PT movies will be better
    once the PT is finished and
    united with the OT because
    than the OT and the PT
    will meet up with ET!

19. Mike_Hunt_Returns

Jul 8, 2002
    "The Phantom Poo"

Yes, thats quite appropriate.

20. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I can't really remember if I already posted in this thread or not (which is quite sad 8-}), but I have to say AOTC made me appreciate and enjoy TPM more, even though I enjoyed and appreciated TPM in the first place :D

ST

21. Mike_Hunt_Returns

Jul 8, 2002
    You enjoyed TPM. Hahahahahahaha [face_devil]

Actually, I envy you. You see it better than me. I love AOTC, but TPM sucks in my opinion. I wished I liked it. I really do.

22. OB3

Mar 11, 2002
    Surely even you must have enjoyed
    the lightsaber fight and
    the pod race at least?!

23. Mike_Hunt_Returns

Jul 8, 2002
    The podrace was BORING ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

I LOVED the lightsabre fight though. But a damn good lightsabre fight does not a great movie make. Is still own TPM on DVD. Its like a duty.

24. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I have to say that having seen AOTC countless times,it doesn't make TPM a better film.

I really thought and hoped that it would make it a better film,but since clones arrived,i carn't even watch TPM like i did before.

Watching Clones makes me think how much better TPM could have been.I agree with the person who said that TPM is like 'the Hobbit'.

It's a nice story,but it's a while before Star Wars starts,which for me is 'Attack of the Clones'.

Don't get me wrong,i like TPM,but it's only become weaker after the release of AOTC which IMO gives TESB a run for it's money !!!

25. OB3

Mar 11, 2002
    What about the underwater monsters and
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan cutting up
    battledroids?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.