main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did AOTC restore your faith in Lucas?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Duckman, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Easy. He gave us Jedi Rocks and Greedo Shoots First and TPM.

Enough to make anyone loose faith.

But he also gave us Tusken Slaughter and Anakin's Nervous Breakdown and Jango's Head Is Off, so he's back on the good list.

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    enough to make anyone loose faith

Don't speak for everyone. Many people love the SE and TPM. How could they lose faith in something they love?

ST

3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Hey, I'm a hardcore fan, have been for 25 years. But I still have to be objective. I can't make myself like something I don't. And I don't like much of the SE and lots of TPM. For a while, I thought Lucas was off the deep end. But it seems with AOTC that he still has a dark side, and I have faith once again.

Anyone ever wonder if Vader = Lucas? The criticism of Lucas (which I agree with) is that he is more interested in the technology of filmmaking and the big picture of the story, and gives little thought to the details of the script and the directions of the actors. Hmmmm...sounds 'more machine than man' to me.

4. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I have never lost faith in George Lucas. I was willing to over look the Greedo scene in ANH:SE, but my faith wavered just a tad with TESB:SE as Luke screamed and badly edited Vader work in the Escape From Bespin sequence. ROTJ:SE was fantastic, the Jedi Rocks sequence is a bit much, but is better than the god awful Lapti-Nek from the original. When I looked back at the experience as a whole, I realized that these nit picks may have taken the place of some of the old ones, but the movies are still greatly entertaining.

I enjoyed TPM very much. I saw it 14 times in the theatres, and it never got boring to me. Again, there were some things which I would have done differently, but so be it. I love the movie. AOTC was just as good as I expected it to be. I know that George's Episode 3 will not disappoint!

5. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    "I agree that TPM, however shabby, is definetely a far better work than AOTC."

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And yours is wrong :p

I kid. I kid because I love . . . Star Wars that is. I don't hate AOTC bashers. I don't really think about them much at all. They're like lower lifeforms to me. I don't mean that in a patronizing way, I just consider myself further up the evolutionary scale.
    Peace . . .

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I liked the humor in TPM.

Why? Because I thought of what the film would have been like without Jar Jar scene for scene and without the creatures in the pod race, and I realized what a way too serious and somber film it would have been.

The only comedy element I did not like was the pod race announcer. I think he looked very cool. In fact, I liked his right head. It's the left head I had a problem with. He should have spoken in his own language, not Basic and not Greh Proops.

So, in reality, I hate half of a character.

And the Pod Race is never boring for me. I love it. And the DVD version is so much better.

And with my hom theater surround sound set up, and I got a very sweet little sequence going on!

:D

7. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    that was greg proops?
    thanks, i was wondering where i recognized that name from.

8. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

"Did AOTC restore your faith in Lucas?"

Well....no, considering I never *lost* my faith in Lucas.

I've enjoyed every feature film he's ever directed....

Sure, some are better than others. But when has that ever NOT been the case? (Duh!!) Even the most widely-praised Hollywood sellouts.....er, excuse me, "directors", have made films that are *better* than other ones they've made.

Personally, my main desire when viewing *any* film is to be *entertained*. Artsy stuff is great --- when it's in conjunction with good story-telling.

(see: 'Citizen Kane', 'The Godfather', 'The Godfather: Part II', etc.)

However, if it's just pretentious nonsense, trying to draw attention to itself....

"oh, look how 'arty' I am!!"

"Look how symbolic I can be!!"

"Watch how long I can linger on absolutely *nothing*, while failing to move the story forward...!!"

"You don't like watching paint dry? Well, then *you're* the dim-bulb!!"

Sorry, but that kind of looking-down-your-nose pretense is just annoying....

The bottom line (for me, anyway) is that, even with Lucas's so-called "lesser" directorial efforts, I've always enjoyed the story and was *never* bored. I have always been *entertained*....

9. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    yes, even happy days... i mean american grafitti was a good movie.
    lucas is a director, like him or not.

another good point, when i noticed se changes i began thinking that lucas was out of his gourd.

10. JohnRavenwood

JohnRavenwood Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I really liked TPM. I liked AOTC a little less. Anyway, they were both good films, and I have faith GL will make E3 good as well. The OT had different actors and therefore had a different feel. Lucas won't get that feeling back in any of the PT but in MHO he came as close as he could with TPM and AOTC.

11. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I never lost my faith in George Lucas. I've just lost faith in some of the "fans" out there. Both TPM and AOTC are great Star Wars movies, and it's just mind-boggling to me that fans of the OT hate these movies and/or complain about them so much. But to each their own, I guess. I'm just happy that I like them! :)

12. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yawn. My faith in people's opinion was flushed down the crapper when Spider-man did well.

13. Jedi Miester

Jedi Miester Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 1999
    I love TPM. It is different though, from the OT movies. I've always thought that GL would have done better if he wouldn't have had control of so much. Like in the OT movies, he had writers, directors, etc..

But IMHO. AOTC is the prime of what GL can do on his own. It is still different, because it is all GL. But still a great movie.

BTW, to the poster. A little extreme on the conversations dude? how about something in the middle. That is what a good discussion is.

14. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    I'm amazed...

This thread has been here all day and none of the typical thread-killing culprits have posted their lopsided remarks.

I can understand why some people complain about this or that in the PT movies. I'm not blind. The acting isn't Oscar caliber. The direction isn't inspired. the editing is poor. All of these things can be said about TPM or AOTC and be demonstrated, however exaggerated some people like to show it.

I just don't think that flying the I'm mad at Lucas for the PT's shortcomings flag in everyone's face is constructive.

I treat this forum like a party. If I'm in a conversation and someone who doesn't like what I'm talking aboutcomes over and starts an intelligent conversation, ther's little chance I'll argue with them. If the same guy butts into a discussion and tells everyone in the room they're idiots and the thing they are talking about is crap and they should go see this other thing...that usually ends up in a fight.

15. Jedi_Chai

Jedi_Chai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    Like he had with Irvin Kershner for TESB, I think Lucas needs some kind of filter or lens to focus his imagination into a well-crafted quality film.

Anytime that the goodness of TESB is attributed more to Kershner than Lucas I have to add...Kershner also directed Robocop 2. Not a well-crafted quality film, IMO.

As for the topic of this thread, I never lost my faith in Lucas. :) :)

16. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Speaking of Kirshner...

"Never Say Never Again"

Kevin McClory's 1983 masterpiece retelling of a ripped-off Cubby Broccili 1964 classic

"Thunderball"

Awful, mostly because of the direction. He successfully made Sean Connery as James Bond seem like a complete wuss.

Only Max Von Sydow as Ernstavro Blofeld is worth staying up watching this clunker for...

17. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yeah Kershner Never Say Never Again should've never been made. Mr. Bean.

18. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    Since all those people who supposedly made the original trilogy great haven't achieved much in their own (apart from Kasdan) that suggests to me they needed Lucas more than he needed them.

19. yerykenobi

yerykenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I never lost my faith in Lucas, because i love "The Phantom Menace"

20. Jedi Miester

Jedi Miester Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 1999
    It's not that each individual on their own can out do Lucas on his own. The man is a self made gazillionaire and a creative genious, not many can come close.

The point is that when a genious like Lucas is working with a creative team, the product can be more palettable the him working as a creative individual. If any of histories geniouses were able to express themselves 100% purely, with no outside influence, I doubt people could handle it enough to enjoy it.

AOTC though is a fantastic movie. I admit, he is still 100% in control, and it still rocks! That IS a hell of an acomplishment.

21. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    Okam's Razor says the most likely explanation is usually the correct one. So which is more likely?
    That AOTC was a great film and Lucas recovered the magic?
    Or that AOTC was a bad film and 95% of fans are brainwashed into liking it?
    I think I know where the problem lies :)

22. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    I loved AOTC for a sw movie.

Did it restore my faith ?

Yes and No :

-It restored my faith in Lucas the director : there are definitely some great scenes in that one, and it is much darker. Most touching sw to date.

-But it also confirms that Lucas relies too much on blue screen (not cg, but *blue screen*).
    Spielberg was right when he said that props and sets can help the actors' creativness.
    Lucas doesn't care about that. Although the movie is beautiful, it is obvious that they all played against blue screens all the time. Too bad.

Lucas is trying to promote digital cameras and prove that he is a big fan of modern technology, but he should think about his work as art too.

It's great but it could be more human, feel more real.

-As a storyteller, Lucas has great ideas, and AOTC restored my faith.
    Great plot, great additions to the sw universe.

But it also confirmes that he fails to develop these ideas on screen. What is important goes unnoticed, and what is useless takes tons of screen time.

Many ideas are thrown to the audience and then forgotten. After two films, the prequels appear to be rushed.

Concentrate on the script and actors Lucas !!!

23. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    My faith has been restored, but really, there was no way it would not be after AOTC.

To me, TPM had very little story and plot to it. To compair it to LOTR (books), it should have been the first half of FORT, but it felt more like the Hobbit. Now AOTC, the clone wars have started, Anakin and Padme love each other, the Jedi and Republic are clearly starting to fall, much more happened. AOTC is much better in that very important respect, and it also didnt have that annoying kiddy feeling to it either. AOTC was a great SW film, and my faith has been somewhat restored.

Then again, Lucas didnt have a choice but to get the ball rolling and start getting into the meat of the story with AOTC. There is already allot that must be covered in E3, but after AOTC, he can do it.

24. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Occam's Razor states that one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.

If we use that logic, it is impossible to see why Lucas never went back to tell fuirther stories in the Willow and Howard the Duck Universes.

Sequels are whore movies: they are there for one reason, and that is to make money. This goes for so many great sequels too, including Empire Strikes Back and the Godfather Part II.

25. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Yes. But I never lost faith. How some people can judge 3 brand new set of movies by watching just 1 is mind twisting. TPM is a very good movie. But it was just the 1st chapter in a new saga.
    How many people read 1 chapter of a book and say "Man this story is bad"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.