main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Ben know about the Death Star?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth--Anguish, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth--Anguish

Darth--Anguish Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2003
    The scene in A New Hope where the Falcon encounters the Death Star for the first time, without hesitating, Ben Kenobi declares that the moon sized object they are flying at is a space station. Is it possible that he finds out in Episode III that the Emperor planned to build the space station? If that is true then maybe the only reason he did not do anything about it was because he was only one man with all his allies dead or in hiding. There would have been no way for him to do anything to thwart the evil empire's diabolical plan. He could have also wanted to stay low so that he could live long enough to train Luke. What do you think?

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Now that, would be cool as hell.

A very nice way to tie in the two seperate trilogies.

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Ben knew it was a space station. Space stations were probably common. Han knew what a space station was because he said "it's too big to be a space station." However, Ben did not know it was the "Death Star".

4. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    No I really think Ben did know, he didn't use the force right there when he saw it, I always assumed he knew what it was before even hearing about prequels being made or anything. When he saw it, his face turned from curious to sudden fright. He knew what it was, I really hope we see him learn about it in episode III. Oh yeah and it would add to why he's a crazy old man he might tell Owen about it.

5. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I agree that Ben may have heard rumors about it and I hope we see some suggstion of this in Ep. III.

6. Boss_Consta

Boss_Consta Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, he may have known because at the end of ep. 2 they show the death star bieng built

7. LordRomeinp

LordRomeinp Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    Yeah he must of know from episode III or i the time beteew that or he was using the force to guide him last he was only guessing I would the Tie was going head for it dog

8. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Judging by his expression and the manner in which he says it, I always believed that he had heard rumors of the plans for building the ultimate weapon.

9. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    I think the expression on his face had more to do by the size of the space station. It was the largest space station ever built. I hope the Death Star is not even mentioned in Episode III. We already seen the plans in AOTC. We don't need to hear anymore about it. Let the EU cover more of the Death Star during the years between Episode III and ANH.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I suppose we'll find out if Obi-Wan knows in Episode 3.

11. Darth--Anguish

Aug 24, 2003
    The Death Star has to be mentioned in Episode III. If not, it would make for a weak transition from the prequels to the original trilogy. You cannot introduce an idea in one movie, and then reintroduce it again a few movies later. In Ep II we know that the plans where created for the Separatist movement and that those plans ended up with Sidious. What we do not know is how the space station went from a simple hologram to a threat of galatic proportions. If the Death Star was left out of Ep III it would allow the audience to make its own assumptions, and we all know that it is never safe to assume anything. Episode III is supposed to answer all our questions and bridge the gap between the prequels and the classics. Last time I checked the Death Star played a huge part in two of the classic films. To leave it out of III would be a mistake because it would leave room for unanswered questions.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    yes, but Lucas could have done the same thing with the little red diagram of the Death Star in Episode III and left it there.

And that would have been fine - leave off with the plans for the "ulimate weapon", and then ANH begins with the DS becoming fully operational - 20 years (or whatever) later.

Obviously Lucas must have something in mind for the DS in Episode III, but what?

One must assume that there wouldn't be enough of the Death Star built in Episode III for a battle to take place there....

I dunno - I always thought Ben used the Force when they spot the DS, but I can easily see the other way as well, especially in light of the PT.

13. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Perhaps Kenobi learns of the plans in EP III. Perhaps Bail knows as well, that's why his step-daughter has been dispatched to retrieve them from the Bothans. Hence, plan B, get the plans to Kenobi, he'll know what to do with them.

Then, by fate, Kenobi sees the DS in all its operational glory from the Falcon.

14. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I have a feeling he does know of the Death Star maybe because when Dooku is killed off by Anakin. Anakin gives the plans to Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan gives the plan to Palpatine and Palpatine gives them to Tarkin to create The Death Star.

15. Darth--Anguish

Aug 24, 2003
    Actually, Dooku gave the plans to Sidious in Ep II.

16. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    It's just hit me! Maybe that's the reason, or part of the reason why Kenobi and Anakin have their battle in Ep. III! Maybe Obi-Wan finds out about the plans for the Death Star, and along with the knoledge of Palpatine's true Sith identity, he tries to stop Palpatine before it's too late. But who decides to side with and protect Palpatine? Yes, Anakin!

17. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Please keep speculation for EIII in the EIII spoiler board, please.

18. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Sorry. Sometimes in conversations like this, where possible links between Ep. III and A New Hope occur the boundries get a bit fuzzy.

19. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    How much more Death Star do you want? In AOTC all we saw were the blueprints. In the 2-3 years following AOTC, they wouldn't even have started to build it. The Imperials probably completed the Death Star less than a year before the Battle of Yavin, 20 years after Episode III.

20. Genyu_Whosanig

Genyu_Whosanig Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2003
    i have an idea about him stumbling upon the plans, obi might have a special communicator since ani is his padawan learner, while trying to communicate with him some time in the war, after he just went to the dark side, he overhears a conversation between palpatine and the now vader talking about a grand battle station, as big as a moon, in ANH he would remember the conversation.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Please keep speculation for EIII in the EIII spoiler board, please.

I think you're misinterpreting the forum rules. Take a look at the spoiler definitions in this forum's rules thread (link in the header of the page). Spoilers are information leaked from the production of E3. It's not a spoiler to post your opinion of what should happen in E3, unless of course you're George Lucas. ;)

22. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Thanks. So like I said, I think maybe Kenobi finds out about the plans to build the Death Star, along with Palpatine's Sith identity, then attempts to stop Palpatine. But Anakin/Vader by this time has been brain washed and goes up against Kenobi to protect his new master. This, I think, will be where Anakin/Vader has his accident and becomes robo-Vader.

23. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think he knew it was the Death Star. I believe he also knew Vader would be there. I'm sure once he felt Alderaan get destroyed, he knew what he, Luke, Han, and Chewie were about to encounter. I also like that smirk on Ben's face right before Vader struck him down.

"Go ahead Anakin, but that's your boy over there. One day he will bring you back to us."[/b]

24. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    It would make sense that OB1 knows just enough about the Death Star, i.e. that it exists, otherwise why would Leia bring him into the rebel's task of stealing the plans.

25. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    I think that the Death Star plans might just have a major part in Ep. III. And the first part of my theory looks to be shaping up already, because Dooku hinted at Palpatine's true identity to Kenobi in AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.