main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

did Ben make a mistake

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalRogue, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EternalRogue

EternalRogue Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    maybe this has been answered so if so i'm sorry but in ESB when Luke has escaped the Wompa, Ben appears and tells him that he must seek out Yoda the Jedi master who taught him in the ways of the force.....When was Yoda ever Ben's master in the stories.

2. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Obi-Wan was probably one of Yoda's many younglings.. not to mention that Obi-Wan often seeks advice from Yoda.. so from a certain point of view, Obi-Wan was "instructed" by Yoda

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    *cough*plothole*cough*

;)

Actually, everyone kind of refers to Yoda as Master Yoda and is to some degree under his tutilege (sp?) so it works. It's just not really how we probably thought of it when we heard about it in ESB.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    dp

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yoda taught Obi-Wan for the first thirteen years of his life.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Exactly. Don't you remember the youngling Bear Clan scene in Attack of the Clones? Yoda trains every Jedi until they are either 13 or are taken on as an apprentice.

Obi-Wan got chosen by Qui-Gon with less than three weeks to spare.

7. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    also in TPM one of the first things obi wan says is something like

"but master yoda told me to be mindful of my thoughts"

meaning that before qui gon, Yoda was teaching Obi wan.

8. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    The honest and correct answer is that by the time ESB was realsed, Yoda WAS the one who trained Obi-Wan. GL decided to change that later for TPM.

Exactly. Don't you remember the youngling Bear Clan scene in Attack of the Clones? Yoda trains every Jedi until they are either 13 or are taken on as an apprentice.

Obi-Wan got chosen by Qui-Gon with less than three weeks to spare.

That is the actual truth, but to me it's just an excuse to hide the fact that GL changed the story to match it better with TPM.

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    What, so you only had one teacher the whole time you were in school? :confused:

Sounds to me like instead of realizing the fact that more than one person can teach someone, you'd rather assume that Jedi can only have one person ever teach them anything. [face_plain]

Even if there had not been the Bear Clan scene, the line in The Empire Strikes Back was "You will go to the Dagobah system. There will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me."

So even if Attack of the Clones did not exist, it's still obvious in The Phantom Menace that Yoda taught Jedi too.

"But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future." What more proof do you need that Yoda instructed him.

Well, if still somehow have doubts, there's always the fact that Yoda and Mace are the leaders of the Jedi Council, and for Yoda not to instruct Jedi would be pointless.

But then you get to Attack of the Clones, and we see something that pretty much anyone could infer anyway -- Yoda teaches the Jedi when they are kids. Instead of a Master taking on an Apprentice when they are young, the students learn all about the Force and go through training while they are young.

Also, remember Yoda's line in ESB... "For 800 years have I trained Jedi." While that was a rounded number, it's still pretty accurate. He says right there that he's been training Jedi for a long time.

I honestly don't see how people can counter the obvious with arguements putting down George Lucas just so they can be right, instead of inferring things from the movies and picking up the clues for themselves.

Edit: Spelling.

10. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    "But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future." What more proof do you need that Yoda instructed him.

This line in no way means that Ben was instructed by Yoda. Every Jedi Master is addressed Master by all other Jedi.

You wouldn't hear Obi-Wan addressing Mace Windu by his first name, but he would address him as Master Windu, even if he didn't train him.

It is like saying that you would address a teacher at High School by his first name if he didn't teach you. But that is not the case.

However, I have to agree with the earlier points about how Yoda trains the Younglings up until their thirteenth birthday.

11. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002

This line in no way means that Ben was instructed by Yoda. Every Jedi Master is addressed Master by all other Jedi.

You're misinterpreting what I mean.

"But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future."

My emphasis isn't that he calls him Master.

Look at the statement. First, it says that Yoda says he should do something, which means he's been giving instructions. Second, he doesn't say "we should be mindful" he says "I should be mindful." That means that Yoda told him personally that he should be mindful of the future. Had he said "we," he could have meant him and Qui-Gon, or all the Jedi as a whole.

It's because of this that it infers that Yoda has taught him something before, being Obi-Wan's instructor, even if for one lesson at minimun. But we know that there was more than just that one lesson.

Then of course you have Yoda leading the Jedi Council, and the council counsels people, giving advice and instruction.

See what I'm trying to say? The whole Bear Clan scene in Episode II wasn't even needed to explain this, because everything you needed to know was right there in Episode I, even with the Qui-Gon being his Master at the time controvsery.

But, since obviously he knew there were a lot of questions about this, he added in the Bear Clan scene to Episode II to hopefully show people that Yoda did in fact instruct the students when they were younger, and then once they get close to the coming of "Jedi age" as I call it, close to the age of 13, they can be taken on as an apprentice and recieve one-on-one training instead of being in a large group, which is more beneficial to their individual needs.

Of course, this still didn't seem to work in some cases, but for the most part people have figured it out.

12. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    You are correct in all ways. You just give GL too much credit.

13. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    You are correct in all ways. You just give GL too much credit.

Are you sure that's what it is? Are you sure that maybe some people don't give him enough credit?

Obi-Wan says Yoda instructed him; Qui-Gon is his master in Episode I. Everyone assumes Lucas made a mistake, when he may have had that planned the whole time.

Of course, he very well might not have, but I think when he made Episode I he was paying attention to what was said in the OT, and he made it work with what he wanted.

14. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    (double post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.