main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT did boba fett die in the sarlac pit?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Maul is awesome, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That doesn't really gel with "a new definition of pain and suffering" though.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Well if we look at it realistically people could surely only suffer that for a matter of minutes. 3PO mentions a thousand years anyway, so clearly that's not meant to tell us the duration of a person's suffering.
    To me the answer to Boba's survival is obvious. The Sarlacc is a living creature with a seemingly conventional system of eating & digestion. It even belches. Fett has darts, explosives, a flamethrower & who knows what other nasty weapons at his disposal. What happens when a being eats something that is painful & irritating? He throws it up or spits it out. Simple.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU resolved it with the Sarlacc keeping beings alive in a living larder inside its own body, digesting small amounts at a time.

Maybe Jabba, being an old and knowledgable Hutt, knows these things?

Not everything in Star Wars hes to be realistic.

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    THREEPIO In his belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as
    you are slowly digested over a thousand years.

Technically speaking a humanoid being would already day after three days without water. Thus the Sarlacc must have a capability to keep its victims alive and then slowly digest them, especially since it rather seems unlikely it gets fresh meat every day, considering its nesting place and location in the middle of a desert.

But unlike all the others Boba Fett had climbing spikes and other gadgets, probably like Jango Fett before him to get out of the Sarlacc: http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-2002/41/

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And a jetpack with a missile. Detonating either the missile or the pack itself (and trusting to his armor to protect him) is another way to make his way out.

6. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Yes but the manner of his demise suggests to me and according to onscreen portrayal he was not expecting to be shoved into the pit. One moment he was about to kill Luke the next he is struggling against gravity and completely overcome with tentacles of the Sarlacc.

Darth Basin and DarthCricketer like this.
  7. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I think it's possible that he did survive. At least that's what Legends tells us. Since not everything is realistic in the SW universe and Boba Fett seems to be able to do lost of things, he very well could have shot his way out of the Sarlacc and flew away with his jet pack.

8. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Not beyond the realms of possibility though it was fairly conclusive he fell all the way in I believe it was head first.

9. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    As far as the film is concerned, he died, that is how the film was made.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He fell in. We don't know what happened after that - whether he died immediately, took a very long time to die, or eventually fought his way out.

Darth Basin, Lt. Hija and oierem like this.
  11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    This is all excellent. Though it seems Lucas was pretty steadfast in his decision to keep Boba dead; he's certainly toyed with the idea of bringing him back, but it never went beyond an idea. I like that the Expanded Universe kept him alive, but to assume that in the context of the movies does nothing to serve the plot. The character already served his purpose and was killed for all intents and purposes.

Am I open to bringing him back? Depends. Usually I'm against retconning any onscreen deaths, but it is true that we don't see a body. The whole death scene was clearly a rushed decision, so there's room to work around that, if the situation would ever call for it.

12. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I lean toward him escaping the Sarlaac. I'm not even a Boba fan it just seems too plausible someone with armor, rockets, and all kinds of gear could make a go of it.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  13. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Well the extended universe is non-cannon, so yeah he's dead.

Slicer87 likes this.
  14. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Sarlacc Pit-1
    Boba Fett-0

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the newcanon novel Aftermath, Boba's armor is found outside the Sarlacc, somewhat damaged - then retrieved from its scavengers by a mysterious figure.

16. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    He also could have commited suicide and blew himself up with the missle taking the Sarlacc with him.

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bob the X-Winger wrote

One moment he was about to kill Luke the next he is struggling against gravity and completely overcome with tentacles of the Sarlacc.

Not beyond the realms of possibility though it was fairly conclusive he fell all the way in I believe it was head first.

What makes you sure he wanted to kill Luke? Since he has jobs that require him to capture his prey alive, I'm pretty certain that his blaster was set to "stun" when Luke destroyed it.

Next he tried the rope launcher, but this one didn't work either. Finally he stands there and shoots "laserblasts" but his aim is way off (actually, it's literally impossible to believe), thus it rather appears he wanted to attract Luke's attention to return and then try another of his gimmicks. But he was so pre-occupied with that (and possibly irritated that already two of his capturing methods hadn't worked) that he failed to pay proper attention what else was going on on "his" skiff.

If you pay close attention you'll also notice that Boba Fett managed to impact on the sailing barge with his right arm, thus protecting his head from an "in-universe" point of view (of course, that's actually owed to the stuntman that didn't want to risk a broken neck).

Therefore I'm pretty certain that once inside the Sarlacc he immediately started his ascent - and then began his pursuit of Dengar and Bossk who had abandoned and betrayed him, IMHO. ;)

18. ShimonXI

ShimonXI Jedi Knight

Feb 8, 2016
    I think he escaped and re evaluated his life then decided to retire or something possibly cause I'd say he's got enough money to live off of.

19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ShimonXI

Because his reputation had been damaged beyond repair? "Boba Fett - incapacitated by a blind man!" :D

Bob the X-Winger likes this.
  20. ShimonXI

ShimonXI Jedi Knight

Feb 8, 2016
    Maybe, or just because he doesn't want to get in that situation again

21. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    doesn't one of the post-Mouse video games have him alive after?

for me i quite enjoyed his entry in Tales From Jabba's Palace (which recounts his escape) so until they tell me otherwise i will count that.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  22. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I posit that he retired after the capture and sale of his long-time rival and elusive target Han Solo. The reward for his capture might've been enough to give the Bounty Hunter pause. The man that fell into the Sarlaac, was not Boba. The victim was but a man who had taken the mantle over and was riding on the reputation based on the lifes work of Mr. Fett.

1. We see him in Jabbas palace, during ROTJ, hanging with the girls and such. IMHO id figure Boba for the type of man who doesn't get involved with that type of stuff, especially since there is 0 money in it.
    2. He makes a pretty poor decision to rocket out to the boat and get smacked around (again not the tactical genius id like to believe he was)
    3. He doesn't make it this far in the GFFA by behaving in this manor.

Just a theory (and not an original one) but one that makes some sense. How could a man, who built a rep for being THE bounty hunter of all bounty hunters, let these things happen? How could someone who Vader knew personally and who he trusted to deliver Han Solo (and did) be taken down by a pole and defective jetpack?

Maybe its wishful thinking, but he looked woefully inept in that battle. Amateur-ish and unskilled.

23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Did he survive the sarlaccc? Unknown.

So far the NEU or story group hasn't answered yes or no on the matter as far as I know. To be honest I never thought Boba's survival was that implausible at least compared to other death comebacks like Maul. On a personnel note, I wouldn't mind him coming back, in fact I would like it.

24. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    If Darth Maul survived the "flesh wound" inflicted by Kenobi in TPM although he fell to his "death" according to the TPM screenplay, the absence of such suggestions regarding Boba Fett suggest he's alive and kicking.

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    technically no but he could if something canon tells us he did. j.w. rinzler said gl said he could have survived. it depends on what lucasfilm and the story group want to do with the character.