main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Boss Nass really make Jar Jar a GENERAL?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by slobadog, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Is this really whaT i'm seein.
    And why?

2. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Ya, I thought that was a bit much.

The guy wasn't a warrior. He should've given him a medal, not given him a high-ranking position.

3. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    You are mistaken; Boss Nass never made Jar Jar a general. He made him a "bombad", roughly speaking a "bad ass", something Jar Jar had never, ever been before, always having been "clumsy" or a fool, or worse, a fool who follows a fool (Qui Gon). The "general" after "bombad" only means that Jar Jar now had the general authority to be a bad ass across the underworld of Naboo.

4. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    If you don't like a particular thread's topic, don't post to it. It is never acceptable to flame.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Close enough. Jar Jar never was much of a General, but he helped the Queen, so he was later instated as "power behind the throne" when Padmé had Senate duty.

6. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    I couldn't belive it either. Jar Jar is way to clumsey to be a warrior let alone a general.

7. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Jar Jar didn't really seem to do anything as a General. He was out in front of the troups, but Tarpals seemed to be giving all of the orders. I am thinking that Boss Nass made Jar Jar a ceremonial general more than anything. After all, he did bring the Naboo and Gungans together. Why not recognize him for it? Boss Nass chose to recognize him by giving him the ceremonial title of 'General.'

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

8. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    I laugh everytime when i see him going "steady steady" its just hard to belive he can command an army :p

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Yes...Boss Nass is like any other politician - placing the people he likes or who helped his cause into positions of power, no matter how incompetent or unprepared they are. Just look at America's current administration. Almost all of Cheney's family is involved in the political handling of the Iraq cause. Whether they prove efficient has yet to be seen, but I can assure you that they didn't get those positions by virtue of their personal accomplishments alone.

Albeit, neither Jar Jar or the other Gungans were happy about it. Jar Jar more or less got the message to stay out of the way.

10. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    surely it was only a ceremonial title. jar jar was placed in command of a division of gunguns in the battle of naboo in hopes that he would be pulverized by battle droid fire.
    unfortunatley, the battle droids were more incompetent then jar jar and couldn't get the job done. just think, if one battle droid was able to hit his mark that day on "bumbling binks", the empire may have never arisen (or palpatines acent would have at the very least been delayed).

11. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    what part of "we shall make you bombad general" did you not understand.

or even "no giving up general jar jar"

12. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    I always thought of it as getting an honorary degree. You get the piece of paper, but that is about it. Kind of like the Key to a city. It is cool to have, but you can't really open anything.

13. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    "when you sitck you hand in a pile of goo that am moment ago was your best friends face... you will know what to do"

"when you get home and this war is over there;s one thing you'll be able to say, and you will thank god for it, when your great grandson asks what did you do in the great battle of naboo, you won't have to say, "well, I shoveled **** in lousiania"

-General George S Jar jar

14. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    "I laugh everytime when i see him going 'steady steady' its just hard to belive he can command an army"

me too. it's kinda like giving a special ed kid an MD if he did a single algebra problem. harhar

15. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I figured it out!!!!!

Wow... Nass is a smart guy.

Ok, so he KNOWS a bunch of his men will die, right?

And Jar Jar just did this great thing, so he has to honor him.

So he figures he'll kill two birds with one stone.

He makes Jar Jar a general then puts him on the front line.

He figures Jar Jar gets the proper respect he deserves for uniting two peoples AND dies in the battle, ridding him of the nuisance.

The plane kind of backfires, tho, and Jar Jar SOMEHOW survives.

Oh, well. Can't say he didn't try.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A. Higher-ranked officers are lessl ikely ot die than lower ranked ones, since they're used for developing strategy and commanding troops than to be cannon fodder. This is certainly true of generals.

B. What exactly did Jar-Jar do to deserve all this? As I recall, the only thing he did was reveal the existence of a Gungan army, then lead the Queen to the Gungan hideout. Telling two groups how they can run into each other is not the same thing as "bringing them together."

17. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    A. Higher-ranked officers are lessl ikely ot die than lower ranked ones, since they're used for developing strategy and commanding troops than to be cannon fodder. This is certainly true of generals.

Yes. Because Jar Jar was "used for developing strategy and commanding troops than to be cannon fodder" all his life.

I guess Jar Jar is the exception to that rule.

B. What exactly did Jar-Jar do to deserve all this? As I recall, the only thing he did was reveal the existence of a Gungan army, then lead the Queen to the Gungan hideout. Telling two groups how they can run into each other is not the same thing as "bringing them together."

Without Jar Jar,

1- Obi and QGJ don't escape the droid army
    2- Obi and QGJ don't get a ship
    3- Obi and QGJ don't find a quick route to the queen which means they don't save her
    4- No one learns of the Gungan Army, which means Naboo remains under trade federation control
    5- The Naboo don't find the Gungans, which means the same as 4
    6- The Naboo lack credibility [laughable, but true. He is the only gungan the Naboo have]

and that's about it.

Basically, w/o Jar Jar, Star Wars doesn't happen. Th Trade Federation gains control fo Naboo, the queen does not get saved and Anakin is never discovered, and Obi Wan and QGJ probably die.

18. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Hmmm..... so Jar Jar is really the most important person in the whole saga.

19. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Well no, his mentor Tarpals is, but Jar Jar is a close second.

20. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    As far as I saw it, Boss Nass credited Jar Jar for bringing the Naboo and Gungans together. Imagine this :

Panaka : They were probably wiped out

Jar Jar: Yousa right, oh well. I'll miss that overweight father figure.

Amidala: So much for my plans. *thinking*now were did I keep my Royal Pen?*thinking* :p

21. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Jar jar wasnt the only general during the war of naboo. boss nass just gave jar jar the title because he helped him get closer to the nabooians. in the gungan army there were about 30 other generals. so being a general in the gungan army was not very significant. jar jar tried but in the end he didnt have the authority because everyone saw him as clumsy and dumb.

22. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I agree with Mace. It was probably just a cerimonial rank.
    Nass was probably awarding him the rank as a way of giving Jar Jar back his honour after he was banished.

23. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Yes, Jar Jar is made a General. Big whoop!

Hmmm..... so Jar Jar is really the most important person in the whole saga.

Pretty much.

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Come to think of it, it's sort of an insult to the people who worked their way all the way up through the ranks to become full generals that Jar Jar becomes one of their peers, isn't it?

You are mistaken; Boss Nass never made Jar Jar a general. He made him a "bombad", roughly speaking a "bad ass", something Jar Jar had never, ever been before, always having been "clumsy" or a fool, or worse, a fool who follows a fool (Qui Gon). The "general" after "bombad" only means that Jar Jar now had the general authority to be a bad ass across the underworld of Naboo.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.