main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Cameo's drag down the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sinnion, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    I know it was fun to see the millenium falcon, ET, GL, and all that cool stuff, but i feel this took a toll on the PT.

I think it drags it down because i feel almost distracted and feel like its interrupting the whole movie(and when i get in the zone if watching a movie i don't like being interrupted [face_laugh])

But did anyone feel the same about cameo's and it affecting the films?

2. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    I don't think so. the Cameo's you mention only lasted a few seconds. If you didn't look quick enough you'd miss them.

3. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Naw. Most of it was sublt enough that you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it.

4. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Drag it down? A few second long cameos? Most are really subtle, only crazy fans like us would really pick up on all of them. I actually quite like them. It reminds you of the history of the films and it's a little glimpse of those who make them. Plus I feel cool that I'm able to point them out to others who never noticed. :p

5. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Hey, look on the bright side: at least N'Sync was never in AOTC! :cool:

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Grasping at straws? I suppose cameos also dragged down the OT and E.T. and Lord of the Rings?

7. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    OMG Peter Jackson is in ALL THREE LOTRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMG!

8. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Not knowing if Keanu Reeves was in ep-II or not really ruins it for me.

9. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Exactly. I would haved asked Chewie to rip my arms off and beat me with them had those guys actually made it on screen!
    [face_praying]

10. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    If you have that kind of persuasiveness with Chewie, better to ask him to rip off their arms and beat them with 'em!

Just sayin'... :D

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    No all the RETCON's did that...[face_thinking]

12. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    I think its stupid the way Lucas put his kids in the movies.

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Would anything be different if they weren't? If no one had every said anything, no one would be the wiser. It's not like they had any lines or anything. And I thought his son was a great little Jedi there.

14. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Where exactly are these found in the PT> I have never seen any of them.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    -In TPM, Lucas children are found in the scene where Anakin's working on getting his podracer started. His oldest daugther is in AOTC as a Twi'lek in the nightclub and a Senator in the background when Palpatine is brought back to Coruscant and is talking to Mace. His younger daughter is in that scene. His son was a Padawan seen walking around the Temple in AOTC and is shot in front of Bail, in ROTS.

-Lucas is seen as Baron Papanoida in ROTS, when Anakin is rushing into Palpatine's balcony at the theatre.

-A couple of YT-1300 Corellian ships, much like the Falcon, are seen at the landing strip on Naboo in AOTC. The Falcon itself is seen when Anakin, Obi-wan and Palpatine arrive by the airspeeder to where the senators and Mace are. It's when you see their speeder come in for a landing.

-Members of N'Sync were slated to be seen in the Geonosis Arena, but were cut due to fan protest. Don't think they ever got to film their cameos.

-An X-wing and a TIE Fighter are seen during the Coruscant chase in AOTC, but you have to look real carefully.

-Episode I: Podracer game is played in the nightclub in AOTC.

-Indiana Jones is seen walking up the stairs at the arena, during the podrace. Someone dressed as him, not Ford himself.

-The "2001" escape pod is seen in the background of Watto's junkyard.

-The evil robot used in a number of sci-fi films and made an appearence on "Lost In Space", battling the good robot with the Robinson family, is seen in Watto's store.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    Well said.

R.I.P. Zett.....@};-

17. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    What everyone keeps missing now is even though they are cameos to you and you may like them, the saga will be watched 1-6 by newcomers, and they aren't cameos anymore, and that is why an introduction to a character is very important in any film.

Jabbas cameo in TPM is not needed, and neither in ANH SE. The great thing about Jabba in ROTJ, is you hear about this guy for 2 movies, now when watching QuiGon talk about him in TPM, you hear about him all the way at the beginning. By finally revealing him in ROTJ builds the anticipation of what is the big deal with this guy? I know it worked for me cause all the through the OT years, when they finally showed Jabba on screen in ROTJ, I was utterly fascinated.

Same with Jango Fett and Boba Fett, they were there cause Lucas knew he was a cult favorite, Lucas even says it in ROTJ commentary, as if he knew Fett would be this loved, he would have given him a cooler death in ROTJ.

Boba Fett was cool in the OT, but he had that mystery, and sometimes mystery and not knowing a characters past makes him that much more interesting. It always bothered me that Boba Fetts story got fleshed out in AOTC more than Uncle Owens.

Chewbacca was another one that just wasn't needed in the PT cause it was the same as Boba Fett, trying to appease the OT fans who love him. The only chance of Kashykk working would have been in ROTJ, and once Lucas chose the Ewoks, Chewbacca should have never appeared in ROTS. As I said before, sometimes less is more with secondary characters.

The sandpeople were the only legitimate OT secondary character that worked in the PT, cause they were a plot point, and now when watching the OT, it confirms their true terror as they try to kill Luke as they did his Grandmom 20 years before.

Everyone here must unlearn what you have learned, they are not cameos anymore in the PT, they are the first reveal of these characters, including the main characters too. Yoda acting like a fool on Dagobah in ESB, Vader storming through the door in ANH, The Emperors big reveal via Hologram in ESB, and ObiWans howling to introduce himself as some old hermit in ANH are not introductions anymore, they are just continuations of the character arc, and that is why watching the OT first is very different with everyone of those characters that appeared in the PT.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Those... aren't cameos. Those are characters within the films. Cameos are actors or people outside the world of the films appearing in the film. Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, George Lucas. The ships and other things that appear, like the 2001 pod, would be called easter eggs. The appearance of Jabba or Boba/Jango... those would be part of the films and not cameos or easter eggs at all.

19. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Well, they've never really said it was the Falcon. Just some ship that looks like the Falcon. I thought putting ET in was neat. The 2001 space pod is also in Watto's junkyard.

I thought cameos would be like Uncle and Aunt Beru, Threepio, Boba Fett, etc.

Jabba was most defintaly a cameo as was Bib Fortuna, since they really didn't have anything to do with the plot - Anakin was owned by Gardulla, right?

Members of N'Sync were slated to be seen in the Geonosis Arena, but were cut due to fan protest. Don't think they ever got to film their cameos.

I always thought this was just a rumor that got wildly out of control?

Jabbas cameo in TPM is not needed, and neither in ANH SE.

But Jabba was always part of the ANH story. Cut or not.

It always bothered me that Boba Fetts story got fleshed out in AOTC more than Uncle Owens.

Why? Why is Uncle Owen so important. He raised Luke, not Anakin.

20. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006

No, they didnt

21. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    cameos = good

22. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Cameos, whatever the definition one might have, are part of the fun of watching the PT. The little scenic Easter Egg type things. Like the 2001 Pod, the ET Senators, The Falcon, and such. It causes one to pay attention to the details.

And yes they sometimes distract from the overall experience. A whole array of "Did I see what I thought I saw?" moments can create distraction. But also when finding those details out are the purpose for watching the film. Than it is a wonderfull part of the adventure. The more one sees of a movie, the more is revealed. Like the time I thought I saw Palpatine in the smoke on Mustafar.
    I watched The Passion of the Christ the other day and noticed someone on a foot bridge, as Jesus is carrying the Cross, that looked a lot like Obi-Wan Kenobi. I stopped the DVD and went back and forth a few times. It is fun to see little details like that and others in many movies.

23. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Regardless of what you call them, this thread is about those little jokey elements added into the films, such as those listed by Sinister above. And yes, it's been confirmed in the Making of RotS book that it is the actual Falcon in RotS.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Jabba is in TPM is a cameo, but only to set up the fact that he runs the planet. That's why he is there. He'd have to be there for the Boonta Eve because it involves gambling and since he is the lord of Tatooine, he has to be there. In ANH, Jabba was supposed to be there. Lucas didn't have the time to build the puppet and so it was dropped, but he always wanted him there. And when he finally could do it, he did it. Jabba's scene is also important because look at how the dialogue is. It clearly sets up that if Han does not pay off his debt, he will be in so much trouble. Boba's cameo there was forshadowing of TESB and ROTJ, but also building off his and Jango's role in AOTC. Newcommers will remember how much of a badass Jango was and now that Boba is there and has issues with Jedi, he could become a formidable threat.

Boba got more backstory because Lucas had plans for him since TESB. Owen, not so much, because Owen has never had much of a backstory in every draft. In all but one draft, his role was just to raise Luke and die.

The Falcon (yes it is, confirmed by ILM) was just a gift to Lucas.

And why should Kashyyyk only be confined to ROTJ? That doesn't make sense. Yeah, I know all about Lucas original intention. That's why Kashyyyk is different from Endor. Lucas even made it clear after ANH, that the Wookiees were technologically advanced. Different from their original incarnation. The battle is quite different as the Wookiees use blasters and vehicles to fight with. As to Chewbacca fighting alongside Tarful and being there with Yoda, it makes sense that he was there. He's a Wookiee defending his homeworld.

25. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Tarful as a character isn't even mentioned in the movie. He's not even listed in the credits. Even Chewbacca doesn't have his own credit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.