main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Chewie shoot to kill?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Django211, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    When Chewie shot Kylo do you think he intended to kill him? He had to have known Ben his whole life and I would imagine at some point was pretty close to him. We don't yet know the whole story of Ben's fall to the dark side but being so close to Han, Chewie must have known Han's feelings toward his son. I'm curious to hear opinions.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Shooting him at all with the bowcaster is intent to kill. Ben lived simply due to the will of the force. It's not his time.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Chewy was mad...

Matthew_Wolverine likes this.
  4. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Never make a wookie angry

5. Godzilla2099

Godzilla2099 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    That bowcaster is the equivalent of a grenade launcher. You fire that thing, its shoot to kill. Wookies aren't exactly known for patience. He just watched his best friend killed. Chewie's Reaction was understandable. At this point, I'm not even sure a lightsaber can deflect that shot properly? Wouldn't it simply explode if a Jedi tried to deflect it?

It was a long range shot so I'm not sure if that weakened the impact.. Still, it probably took everything Ben Solo had to keep his insides from spilling all over the place. He's a physical and mental wreck.

6. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    It must have been an awful moment for Chewie. Han was like his brother and Ben must have been like his nephew. It was definitely a shot to kill, but not one Chewie was happy to take.

I have to say, this film gave a lot of respect to Chewie.

7. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013

He shot to kill, it was a very long shot. I think once Kylo killed Han what ever love Chewie had for Ben was done. He Shot to kill!

8. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013

I would have had Chewie Approach Leia with the bad news. I don't even think Leia had met Rey yet! It would have been more emotional if Chewie were the one hugging Leia!

Gixen and Jedi Daniel like this.
  9. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

Does Chewie blame Leia for Han conforting their son? Han wanted nothing to do with Kylo outside Maz's tavern.

10. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    One thing is sure as hell clear...Chewie. Shot. First.

11. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013

I think Han knew that Kylo was a lost cause! Yet, unfortunately, he tried to reach him one last time.

12. TROR

TROR Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Kylo Ren murdered everyone in Luke's Jedi Training Academy. One of those training there was Chewie's child, Lumpy. So when Chewie saw his best buddy die, and having his own child murdered by the same person, it was absolutely a shoot to kill.

C Creepio and Jedirush2112 like this.
  13. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013

Where did you get that Lumpy was in the Academy? From the EU that no longer exists?

14. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    At that distance, I'm surprised he even scored a hit. Lee Harvey Oswald couldn't have made that shot if he fired three times. Yeah, Chewie was going for the kill. He did kill about 5 stormtroopers right after and then blow the place to piece remember.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Chewie shot to kill no question. His best friend was murdered before his eyes. It was time for Kylo to pay. It might be my favorite Chewie moment in the whole saga.

Seagoat, Revanfan1, arjank and 3 others like this.
  16. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999

Yeah, Chewie really was great in this movie!

Revanfan1, arjank, dan1210 and 2 others like this.
  17. dartharis1980

dartharis1980 Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2003
    I think 'Uncle' Chewie wanted to damage Ben/Kylo and lashed out but we know that Chewie is a great marksman so I'm wondering why he didn't aim for the head? I think he held back from killing him and just responded emotionally as opposed to measured like an assassin and notice that he didn't take a second shot but shot up stormtroopers then focus don the job at hand. I'm just not sure Chewie had the heart to kill he's nephew outright unlike he's 'nephew' murdering he's father though he would have been justified...

Sarge likes this.
  18. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    As I said in another thread,

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think Chewie's vengeful response was simply lashing out in anger, trying to wipe out what he has just seen. And I bet his hands weren't as steady as he would have wished when he took that shot, otherwise it probably would have Mauled Kylo.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  20. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

When did Kylo shoot?

21. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I love Chewie in TFA.....I really do......but man......do I wish kasdan/JJ could have wrote a quick line for Ben .....like "Chewie !" .....when shot by him......

I do imagine Chewie as the "favorite" uncle when Ben was a child.......so this should have been a very intense moment between them....the ultimate betrayal......

nitpicking.....since that scene is already in my top 5....

Sarge likes this.
  22. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Yeah, great scene. When Han was killed by Kylo I immediately thought about Chewie....I was thinking `Chewie is gonna kill you if he could`And then Chewie shot Kylo, and I was thinking `you deserved it`

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Poor Ol' Chewy. That moment not just made Han a tragic hero, but also rubbed off on Chewy as well. He has to find a way to go on. But Han did say Chewy liked Rey, so the two of them being pilots together will make him happier.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  24. FollowTheLight

FollowTheLight Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    A shot to kill, no question - nephew or no nephew ... he'd just seen his lifelong friend killed and only the extreme range prevented a more accurate shot.

If there'd been a shot of Chewie hugging Leia after Han was killed, I think I'd have been a sobbing mess on the floor ...

25. Maxum

Maxum Jedi Knight

Nov 25, 2015

I think he was shooting to kill. As much as Ben is the son of his best friend, for Chewie, Han is more important. Also, once Ben killed Han, it showed Chewie that Ben was too far gone. Chewie's anger, pain, grief, and desire for revenge all kicked in at once.

Seagoat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.