main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Darth Sidious love Darth Maul?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Latorski, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I think Sidious loved Maul for the weapon he was, not as a person though. Sidious was only invested in Maul because he needed a weapon to help eradicate the Jedi, nothing more, he was not looking for emotional companionship.

I am sure that Sidious felt a sense of loss when Maul died, but I am sure it was only because of the time invested in the training, and the disappointment of losing his apprentice in the first throws of the conflict.

In essence Sidious loved Maul as much as a carpenter loves his favorite hammer, because Maul was not much more than that in the eyes of his Master.

did he really intend Dooku to be his Varsity apprentice or just a place-holder until he could turn Anakin, whose power he sensed at the end of Episode I?

I personally think that he intended Dooku to be his permanent replacement at the time he picked him, but Sith are opportunistic by nature. Once Sidious realized that the Jedi believed Anakin to be the choosen one, not to mention that Anakin was obviously powerful, Sidious then probably began to reconsider his choice of apprentices and plant the seeds for Anakins fall.

2. SKIMBLESHANKS

SKIMBLESHANKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    I completely agree with rumsmuggler

1.It would've been sick love for the killer he was.
    2.Yes it would be awsome if he cut down those troops.

3. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

It would have been great to see Palpatine weep at the funeral.

Some viewers think he is weeping for Qui-Gon, some think it's for Maul.

Woulda been fun.

4. Darth_Parcellor

Darth_Parcellor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    Sidious had to be pissed off about it at least. He trained the guy since childbirth and he couldnt even beat a Padawan? I think it was he motive to get rid of him down the line at some point though, if his plan all along was the start the Clone Wars.

5. SKIMBLESHANKS

SKIMBLESHANKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    Uhhhhhh dude

1. Maul takes out a Jedi Knight/Master.
    2. In reality Obiwan would not have beaten him.

6. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    uhhhh dude, in reality?

who said anythig about reality. this is in fact all fiction.

7. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    2. In reality Obiwan would not have beaten him.

Um, according to film reality Obi-Wan did beat Maul. ;)

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    According to the Darth Maul Journal, Sidious in fact often exhibited a form of tough love with Maul, up through the time of his death.

From an early age, Maul was put through the meatgrinder by his master, such as getting left alone on an inhospitable world to survive for a month; confronting Sidious himself at the end of it. Nowhere was there any room for pain or sympathy...even when tracking the Jedi down on Tatooine, Maul was afraid to report a leg injury that he'd sustained from a group of Tusken Raiders.

Tough love.

And Sidious ultimately realized that Maul had been trained perhaps TOO single-mindedly, with him not flexible enough to break off from the Jedi and instead pursue the Queen in the Theed hangar. His hatred had been far too strongly inculcated in his sprog-years for him to have recognized this.

Thus, Darth Sidious's decision to investigate potential apprentices who possess the virtue of patient constancy.

9. CETS4491

CETS4491 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2004
    no way darth maul was just a miniscual part of he sith plot

10. Freedom_Fighter

Freedom_Fighter Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    no i don't think sidious really cared about maul or anybody. he's just a user.

and maul wasn't his first apprentice. someone mentioned the thing where he was just sitting there laughing while vader was getting his butt kicked by luke, that's cuz he wanted luke to kill vader because then that would mean luke was even stronger than vader and he could take him on as his apprentice in place of vader. that's what sidious does, he's always just trying to find the most powerful companion, and if i'm not mistaken he did the same thing with maul. back when TPM first came out, they came out with some books that were like supposed to be journals of the main characters and i read maul's journal and it said that sidious actually had an apprentice before he met maul, and sidious made maul and this other apprentice fight and maul killed this apprentice and became sidious's new apprentice. so you see sidious doesn't really care about anything or anyone. he just cares about power.

11. lookatitthisway

lookatitthisway Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    if he didnt he wouldnt have screwed ani's pepe so much . losing someone you love leads to pure destruction . ive made my point .

12. Freedom_Fighter

Freedom_Fighter Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    i've got to correct something i said in an earlier post.

i was wrong, now that i think about it i think according to the journal Maul WAS his first apprentice, then sidious got interested in this other sith dude and he thought he might be stronger than maul, so he had those two fight and maul killed him. so i guess maul was still his first apprentice but that just shows how little he cares about maul. if this other apprentice dude had killed maul he wouldn't have given a rip, he'd just be happy he found a stronger apprentice.

13. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Do you mean the love of a man for a woman, or the love of a man for a fine cuban cigar?

14. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I disagree. I'm more then aware of the rules of the Sith and all, but in the case of Maul and Sidious I'd have to say that he did care.

For starters, as others have stated Sidious trained Maul since he was a child. He esentially took a boy under his wing and taught him.

The boy grew up into a powerful intellignt protoge that fully accepted the dark teachings, realized they had a destiny and had learned a Sith's patience.

He also accepted that eventually, -but with no hurry- that one day he would be the master and would carry on the tradition.

They were ready. They were ready to reveal themselves to the Jedi. They were ready to get revenge.

Then Obi-Wan came along and ruined that. Years of devotion wasted.

In a way, Sidious avenged Maul by securing the assistance of the master that taught not only the man Maul destroyed, but the apprentice of that man that took Maul from Sidious.

Add on top of that, Sidious quickly saw a fitting replacement by the means of young Anakin Skywalker, and as the movies show was very patient in his subtle training of Anakin.

Obviousily as Ep3 will show Anakin realizes he's been duped and looses everything he cared about, but at the same time fell into sway with Palpatine's point of view.

If not for the Skywalker twins, and Vader's proposal of an alliance to destroy Palpatine, I wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine would have continued to call Vader 'my friend' and meant it.

Even the darkest of villians needs a companion of sorts.

15. BlutEngel

BlutEngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    I've thought about this a few times. I assumed Sith have more of a mutual respect for each other rather than some sappy love feeling. Maybe Comradeship? Haven't thought about it further then that.

16. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I think Maul was simply Sidious's tool for destruction and eliminating the Jedi.

17. Darth_Mangle

Darth_Mangle Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 9, 2004
    Maul was just a person he could use to his advantage. Nothing more.

Same as Dooku. They are just stepping stones to the creation of the Empire.

18. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    It was pretty lame how Maul was beaten by Obi wan

19. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    If anything, he would have been angry at Maul for getting beaten and perhaps even happy with Obi-Wan for showing him how his ultimate killing machine wasn't up to snuff.

20. Mist_Devil

Mist_Devil Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    The sith are like boxes of kleenex to each other. Each individual is disposible and replacible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.