main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Dooku know that Anakin was going to turn

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BruceM, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Seriously, did Dook know anakin was going to turn to the dark side. A few ideas
    Dooku senses great fear in Anakin. If someone was never going to turn over, they would most likely not have fear.
    Perhaps Dooku cut off his arm and thought that he was preparing anakin for some sort of major damage?
    If Dooku knew Anakin would turn, why would he still remain loyal to sidious, even with the rule of two?

2. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

I think Dooku's realization of the true plan came a bit too late. At least his torso got to keep the feet on it!!!

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    No.
    Dooku believed what Sidious fed him.
    He was told it was a test for Anakin, and that Kenobi was to be eliminated.
    He did his part, only realize how foolish it was to trust his Master.
    Dooku's last thought before dying?

"Treachery, is the way of the Sith..."

Es la verdad...@};-

4. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Yeah, I agree. This is weird, SSS...this is two threads we are in agreement on...IF Dooku had any idea that Anakin was going to turn, it would have been such that He would be the master, and Anakin be his apprentice, not that Anakin would be Sidious's. If he thought that Anakin would be a Sith, and that Sidious would be his master, then Dooku was a moron for sticking around. Rule of Two, and all. Its not hard to tell if you are being squeezed out, if they flat out tell you that you are being squeezed, which is exactly what would have been happening if Dooku thought Anakin would be a Sith.

5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Must be my birthday, cuz we never see eye to eye.[face_laugh]

I liked this line, especially: "If he thought that Anakin would be a Sith, and that Sidious would be his master, then Dooku was a moron for sticking around." If only because I think Dooku was a moron for trusting Sidious in the first place. I can just hear Master talking to Apprentice: "Hey Tyrannus, if you get pwned, I'll step in. Even though I'll be electro-handcuffed to the chair, I'll save you... trust me."

;)

6. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Good point. If dooku was as powerful as he was, he would have sensed palpatine as sidious, then would have really gotten pissed off when Palpatine states the line "Kill him, kill him now". And even if dooku didnt figure it out yet, palpatine gave dooku some sort of look after he said the line I just typed.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    There was a whole plan between Sidious and Dooku on getting Anakin to turn, of course what Dooku believed the plan was, was not what Sidious really had in mind. They set up Palpatine's kidnapping to try and encourage improper feelings and actions in Anakin. The plan was to get Obi-Wan and Anakin to mount a rescue mission, Dooku would kill Obi-Wan, and then Anakin would arrest Dooku. There was also a plan on what Dooku would do in jail. With Anakin turning to the dark side, he could be a powerful ally, not a replacement for Dooku, or so said Sidious. The real plan went off as seen in the movie although Dooku was not aware that Sidious did indeed intend to replace him with Anakin.

8. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    UMMM....Dooku already knew Palpatine was Sidious. Did you not get that the whole Palpatine abduction thing was staged? The whole thing was designed to lure Kenobi and Skywalker there...Dooku thought it was to eliminate them both, Sidious didn't bother to correct him...And, as soon as Sidious says "Kill him, kill him now" Dooku shoots him a look of betrayal...only then did he realize that Anakin was the prize, not him. Dooku was operating under a false sense of security the whole time. He believed he was there to kill Anakin, and remain the apprentice.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Once again.

"Palpatine has told Dooku. 'I have somebody who I think will be a great Sith Lord and I think we can get him to join us. But we need to test him. So we're going to setup a situation where you fight him. If he gets the best of you, then I'll stop the fight and he'll have passed the test. If you get the best of him, then we'll let him go, and we'll let him stew for a few more years until he's ready.' But behind it, obviously, is Palpatine's real intention: If Anakin is good enough, Anakin can kill Dooku and become Palpatine's new apprentice. But he didn't tell Dooku that."

--George Lucas, The Making Of ROTS; Page 41.

Dooku was tricked into thinking that the rule of two would be abandoned. That's all it was.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Obviously he knew, he probably just thought Anakin would be left to him to train ala Asajj ventress.

At the end of aotc he clearly says ''the boy has started, my master'' meaning he has already started his transition and to collect his anger and fear to use to his advantage. In rots his speech while they're in a saber lock.

He knew there was something about Anakin that intrigued his master,may have even heard the word before he left the order that they had found the chosen one and it was Skywalker.But you can see in his face he never knew part of the plan was for him to be killed by Anakin.

11. DarthZizou

DarthZizou Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2006
    Dooku knew he would turn, but he'd have to be tested. And he didn't think Anakin would take his place. Dooku said something in the ROTS novel about Anakin being a sort of Sith general for an Imperial Army (which he later sort of became) but not a Dark Lord.

12. Darth_Cerus

Darth_Cerus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    Umm, pretty sure he says "The war has started."

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep. He said war...

INT. CORUSCANT, SECRET LANDING PLATFORM - DAWN
    The ramp lowers. COUNT DOOKU emerges and walks to where the hooded figure of DARTH SIDIOUS stands waiting. COUNT DOOKU bows.

COUNT DOOKU
    The Force is with us, my Master.

DARTH SIDIOUS
    Welcome home, Lord Tyranus. You have
    done well.

COUNT DOOKU
    I bring you good news, my Lord.
    The war has begun.

DARTH SIDIOUS
    Excellent.
    (smiling)
    Everything is going as planned.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Dooku didn't know that Anakin was going to be converted until late into the Clone Wars. For the longest time, he was under the impression that he was to die. Which is why Asajj Ventress was recruited by Dooku to kill Anakin. However, Sidious used her to further antagonize Anakin in battle. To test his skills. To get him to use the dark side more and more. Once Anakin became a Jedi Knight, Dooku was informed of the truth. Well, that which he needed to hear.

15. J_Gonn_Jinn

J_Gonn_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    I really wish Asajj Ventress didnt exist, just like Xisor or whatever hes called its ridiculous that such a chracter can exist between films, canon or not

16. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Why? Asajj is a pretty cool character and doesn't really change anything in the films, but adds a bit of depth to characters that are in the films.

17. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    That would totally change the outcome of this thread, now would it?

18. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Hey, that's different from LOE - Palps wanted to spare a failed Anakin??? :eek:

19. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Then that would give away his secret, unless of course Anakin was knocked unconsious, then palpatine saved him from dooku.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    James Luceno hadn't read "The Making Of ROTS", thus he didn't know that he should write it differently.

21. Darth-Spider-Queen

Darth-Spider-Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    My guess he wanted to turn him to his own apprentice after he failed to convert Obi-Wan. Probably to bring down Tyranus and become a Sith Master.

22. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Wait, what?

23. jadenkorr81

jadenkorr81 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2006
    Dooku knew that Palps and Sids were the same person. He knew since he turned Sith.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was the fact that Palpatine was Sidious that allowed Dooku to even entertain the notion of joining the Sith. He had reason to trust Palpatine and thus go along with his decisions, without trying to stab him in the back.

25. jadenkorr81

jadenkorr81 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2006
    yep..

It would be interesting to see a Tales story based on if Dooku failed in his efforts to be trained as a Sith. That would be a sweet duel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.