main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Dooku know that Anakin was going to turn

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BruceM, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hipig

hipig Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2007
    [face_pig] do you think that anikan did all that traning just to be on the dark side

2. acmilanboy

acmilanboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2005

3. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005

4. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    ^ In the commentary Lucas only mentions that Dooku doesn't know Palp's true plan and that he thinks his is just going to fight Anakin. This isn't very clear but Lucas has said elsewhere that Dooku knew of the plan to turn Anakin. Also, it is safe to assume, given Dooku's experience and wisdom, that he was aware of the rule of two. This is how I see it.

Dooku knew the rule, but thought that Palps would allow for another Sith, period. It is possible and it explains his actions. As said, with him knowing the plan to turn Anakin, there is no logical reason why he would fight him while believing that the rule would still be enforced. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean returning to a pre-bane era. The point is that Dooku (assuming he would not be betrayed) believed that Palps wanted another Sith to join them. Whether Dooku thinks this is a "good idea" or not is besides the point.

I know that Dooku knew of the Sith past and everything, but what could he do about it if Palps said that he wanted another Sith to join them? "Sorry master but that's not a good idea, remember the rule now." Yeah, I doubt it. Dooku just went along with it and didn't understand Palps true intention until it was too late.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine tricked a trusting Dooku, to get Anakin. When it came to Vader and Palpatine in the OT, no such trickery was necessary. Both wanted Luke to be anything but a Jedi. Both would want him for their own agenda. Palpatine knows that he cannot prevent Vader from trying to convert Luke, anymore than Vader can short of trying to kill him.

6. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    It sort of does. In the ROTS novelization, Dooku believes that what's left of the Jedi Order (since they're naturally going to put up a fight and lose tons of numbers) would be restructured into a Sith Army, with Anakin leading it.

Well, he probably couldn't have done anything about it, but that's beside the point. Dooku had no misgivings about it. He was dumb enough to walk right into the trap without so much as a single "master, are you sure having more than two Sith would ever work? Remember the old times."

Instead, we get:
    Sidious: "Let's have Anakin join our club. Set him up so we can audition him."
    Dooku: "Great!"
    Sidious: "Then we can have a Sith Army!"
    Dooku: "Even better! This is such a great idea."
    Sidious: "Tyranus, are you crying?"
    Dooku: "It's just such a beautiful idea... by the way I've suddenly come down with an incurable case of xenophobia. That has nothing to do with this, but I thought you should know. It seems the author saw me described as 'Machiavellian' and decided that every point presented in Machiavelli's 'The Prince' applied to me."
    Sidious: "Tyranus. Shut up now. Oh, look! Anakin's on his way. Remember the plan!"

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't follow the EU beyond little snippets of information I pick up from reading the boards here. But I want to say I heard (and hopefully someone can either confirm or deny this) that in one of the books it is mentioned that Dooku was looking forward to "retiring" after the empire was established. That pretty much if Dooku lost to Anakin, the idea would've been that Dooku would have been expelled as a Sith, but that no harm would come to him (which I took to mean this was the "amnesty" Dooku speaks of in the novelization(?)). Again, I'm pretty sure I heard that at some point, though I don't know the accuracy of the claim.

8. MN_JEDI

Nov 22, 2003
    It seems like this is turning into a debate, but we are actually saying the same thing just in different ways. We argree that
    Dooku believed that Sids would allow for another Sith to join them, bottem line. Right?

9. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Yes. My point, though, is that it makes no sense for him to have believed it would work, and makes him come across as a bigger fool than he should have.

10. MN_JEDI

Nov 22, 2003
    Ok gotcha. Yes, Dooku comes off as very trusting and should've known better, but that's probably the result of Sids' smooth talkin.

I also think that the films should've dug deeper into Dooku's character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.