main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did General Grievous Know....

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER-OF-EVIL, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    If this has been talked about specifically then you can re-direct me to the available Thread.

But if not then here goes.

Ive just watched ROTS and read LOE and ROTS novel and a curious thought came to my mind.

Did General Grievous know about Order 66?

Thats my simple question, i hope you have a fun time discussing it.

M-O-E

2. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I kind of doubt it. I mean he told Kenobi something like "no matter what you will lose..." I guess that could be a reference to Order 66. But still Grevious didn't even know Palpatine was Sidious. He was used as a tool by the Sith to lead the CIS military forces. So for him to know about order 66 wouldnt make sense. Sidious wanted Grevious to believe that it was a legitmare war/cause he was fighting for, not that it was simply a war to conquer the galaxy for the sith.

3. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    In the movie he seems to not know. I could see him playing along but from watching the movie and reading the novelization he didn't know.

4. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    I have to agree with the "Tool" theory. I think Grievous only knew what Sidious wanted him to, and that was probably as LITTLE as possible. One of those type of things that the less people who knew about it, the less things could become complicated. I am on the train of thought that only Sidious himself knew about Order 66, until it was delivered to the galaxy.

As far as Grievous telling Obi-Wan "Army or Not, You Must Realize, You are Doomed." That was just Grievous being a tad bit arrogant. Saying he'd kill Kenobi no matter how much help Obi-Wan had.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Nope, I highly doubt that he knew about that.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think he didn't know. He was on a need to know basis and he was not going to be the bearer of such information.

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Agreed, plus I would like to add, what difference would it have made to the story even if he did? Its completely irrelevant. Nothing would have changed.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I also don't believe he knew. Grievous' function was a tool to continue the war by leading the CIS. Order 66 wasn't a part of that and was more a part of Sidious' master plan (to which I also believ Grievous was ignorant) and therefore he wasn't informed.

9. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    He didn't know! As already mentioned: he was on a "need to know basis"; and that was exactly what happened.

10. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

General Grievous COULDN'T know about order 66. He didn't even know that Palpatine is Sidious. grievous woudl have to know that in order to be aware of order 66. The clone wars cartoon backs this up. The ROTS novel backs this up. It's clear in the movie that he is just another separatist leader. He is completely unaware that Sidious is the leader of both sides in the war.

The only way Grievous would know that Order 66 existed and/or was coming is if he knew that Palpy is sids. He would need to realize that Sidious is in charge of the republic military (i.e. he is Palpatine). Probably nobody except Palpatine, the clones, and (maybe) Dooku knew of order 66 ever being discussed and set up. Because Grievous was just another pawn in the Darth Sidious game of manipulation, Sidious would never tell him such critical information. If he doesn't trust Grievous enough to let him know that he's Palpatine, he wouldn't let him know about his specific plan to kill all of the Jedi knights in that specific way.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Grievous was under the impression that the war would be won by the Confederacy. What he didn't know that the other Separatist Council did know, was that they were never going to legitmately win the war. They were just going to play along until Lord Sidious and Lord Tyranus told them that the war was over, which would then allow them to live in peace. Only Sidious knew the whole plan. Dooku knew of Order 66, but not anyone else.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, Grievous should've known he was being played along when Sidious first words to him were "Oh whatever, the war will be over soon!" despite losing Dooku and having their ultra-special secret war-winning mission derailed by a mere two Jedi.

13. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    But Sidious told him there was help on the way, in the form of a new apprentice, "one far younger and more powerful" than Dooku. If only Grevious had known that it was Anakin Skywalker he was refering to.

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm going to strongly say he didn't know. That was an order by the sith, something Grievous was not affiliated with besides doing work for them. It was just a general command in the wars to go for Jedi anywaise, they did pose the biggest threat.

Besides Grievous had his own like order 66 by whiping out a bunch of jedi as sport.

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    New apprentice is nice....but at what cost? Dooku wasn't just an apprentice, it was his charisma that held the Separatists (the irony) together. Sidious would be hard-pressed to find someone to replace him--unless he never intended for the Separatist movement to live much longer. With their leader dead, a good chunk of their fleet burned out of the sky and no Chancellor Palpatine, there was really nothing to be optimistic about.

16. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    It is hard to figure out what everybody knew. I don't believe that Grievous would have been let in on Order 66 because he may have realized that his own death would have been a part of the grand scheme.

Grievous, unlike Dooku, may not have been directly under Sidious' power. Dooku, on the other hand, embarked upon a mission at the request of Sidious which put him into direct confrontation with one of the few Jedi who were powerful enough to kill him. (Just as Vader brought Luke to the Death Star at the request of Sidious)

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Grevious doesn't know. Hell, in the book he threatened to kill Palpatine live on the Holonet unless he was allowed to leave Couruscant's orbit.

18. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I'll put another twist to the question, did Dooku know of Order 66 since it was he who placed the order prentending to be Syfo-Dyas to the cloners on Kamino?

19. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    I don't think Dooku knew about 66 either. Sidious would give certain basic instructions to key people, but they didn't know what the final end result would be. He may have told Dooku to place an order, but Dooku would probably be left to make his own conclusions. Of course he knew about the clone wars and everything. But I think Order 66 was to high of a thing for Sidious to trust ANYBODY to know about it.

The trade federation, his apprentices, the senate, they all had a purpose to him. But they only knew what they needed to, to serve their purposes. They where all parts in a giant machine. Each turning in its own way. That machine finally became the Empire.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He knew. There's no reason for Dooku to not know. But this is a separate thread topic.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. I don't know if he knew the specifics of Order 66, but I think he would have been smart enough to realize that the Jedi would never submit to being ruled by a Sith Lord and that Sidious would have to neutralize them, which means that Dooku knew, or at least very strongly suspected what his master was planning regarding the Order.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He didn't say that help was on the way. He said that it doesn't matter that they lost Dooku in the raid. There would be a replacement on his way.

23. Biddybot

Biddybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    I can't see any reason why Grievous would have known anything about Order 66. From Sidious's point of view, Grievous was just as expendable as any of his other Separatist lackeys and I've no doubt Sidious planned all along for Grievous to be dead by the war's end...one way or the other. It would therefore have been pointless to have involved Grievous, as pointless as involving Nute Gunray or Poggle the Lesser or any of the rest of that lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.