main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did Genndy care about the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by basiloregano3004, Mar 29, 2015.

1. basiloregano3004

basiloregano3004 Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2015
    A lot of us have complained about Dave Filoni and/or Lucas messing with the EU in TCW (Even Piell, anyone?). Conversely, I've seen some fans praise the Clone Wars microseries for sticking closer the EU and not having as many contradictions. But the thing is, was it really that much better?

If you watch CW more closely, you'll see that Genndy didn't really consider the EU when he was writing the show. For example, when Ventress meets Anakin on Yavin IV, it seems like this is their first meaning, when the EU says otherwise. And of course, there's Vol. II vs LoE with Nelvaan instead of Tythe and the Battle of Coruscant being rather different.

Now, I'm not saying Genndy HAD to follow the EU while creating his show. But do you really think he took it into consideration any more than Filoni?

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Considering the production and length of the microseries he never really had a chance to contradict the EU in a significant way. However, he did include some fan favorite EU characters in the series like K'Kruhk. Also, the microseries being a part of the Clone Wars multimedia project, Gendy and the others (book and comic authors) were taking in consideration each others work. How successful it was regarding contradictions is another question...

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    He used some planet invented by Zahn. How many points does one get when they reference Zahn?

Also Saesee was an awesome pilot, which started as a Republic comics thing IIRC. Vol. II was years later, so it was either coincidence or an intentional reference. I've always assumed the latter.

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Harder to coordinate I would think... the scripts for that show would have been written while Republic was coming out, no?

They played by the rules of what those EU planets were though, Ilum coming pretty much straight from Jude Watson (I think?) In fact Watson was well represented at that time with Siri popping up in Jedi Starfighter... can't believe they kept both that and Adi's reverse-grip.

Point is I think they worked with what was given and what they could at the time, which is also why Volume II doesn't line-up with LoE (more's the pity, Luceno's version is even more gripping and dare I say it "epic") whereas the second show chucked out a lot of well established stuff FOR NO RAISIN it would seem.

If memory serves it was part of the Episode I stuff, like the scrapbook and the Visual Dictionary and whatnot. It was nestled among that stuff that was common across all material, like Adi being the child of diplomats and chillaxing with Valorum, and also Ki-Adi-Mundi being the only Jedi Knight on the council.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    how did they accomplish this without a story group

6. basiloregano3004

basiloregano3004 Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2015
    True, he did use K'Kruhk from the EU. But it seems like Genndy intended for him to die on Hypori, and not go into hibernation like Chee later said. This would've been a massive contradiction to the EU.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    he didn't get cut in half or thrown down a reactor so it's ok, the clones were just careless

8. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Or extremely savy in knowing they were dealing with super op OG Grievous and knew to just cut there losses.

It is funny though, re watching his introduction and realizing the only Jedi he actually managed to kill in that fight where Shaggy the Padawan and Ki Adi Mundi-Lite. Even before ROTS and TCW Grievous was getting gimped.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    the clones were displaying early tendencies toward humanocentrism. aayla looks more human than k'kruhk

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

Eh, only after the fact. At the time it was reasonable to think that K'Kruhk bit the dust and perhaps Aayla too.

Doesn't matter, it was still great and was, for that brief shining moment, the great physical antagonist of the prequel era, well supported by the other EU material featuring him.

Then ROTS came out.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reason the CW microseries was particularly different from LoE is it was based on an older draft of LoE.

Revanfan1, mes520 and spicer like this.
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Yah, hence the Talz and the Ithorian, the bunker, etc.

I think the thing I miss the most was the Mace/Grievous showdown on the train.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    If you listen to the audio commentaries on the microseries DVDs, it's pretty clear that Gennedy isn't really the kind of person for whom the greater EU would hold a lot of meaning or interest. He's thinking strictly in terms of crazy kinetic action scenes and sight gags and dramatic images, not character histories or any kind of timeline. Not a bad thing if you're working on bite-sized cartoons, really, but worth pointing out here..

It's also clear that they were working on incredibly tight deadlines for both volumes, all the while trying to do the best job possible and fitting in tons of last-minute stuff they hadn't planned on. (Grievous being a good example of this.) That doesn't leave a lot of room for coordination with other parts of the EU.

As to whether it better respected the EU more than the greater Clone Wars series...I seem to remember people disliking the microseries quite a bit around here, both for its contradictions with the ongoing comic and novel storylines and what was considered to be over-the-top action sequences. But once TCW came out, people seemed to look more kindly on the microseries in retrospect. :p

I may even have said something along those lines myself back in the day. But ultimately, I think the cartoon has been ill-served since it came out. The EU sort of hand-waved away the way in which Ventress appears and Anakin is promoted to Knighthood in favor of the comics, though giving the microseries precedence would have better prepared the Clone Wars timeline for the arrival of TCW. And even though TCW took much of its design and story cues (not to mention a voice actor or two) from the microseries, it's since been inexplicably marginalized into Legends along with the rest of the EU. There's no reason they shouldn't at least be included on the Clone Wars Seasons 1 and 6 box sets, or streaming on Netflix, but it seems destined to fade into obscurity like all the pre-TCW television projects. :(

TC

Abadacus, Gamiel, Darth_Duck and 2 others like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It didn't need to be. All it was meant to be was a tie in between Clones and Sith, which with the exception of Grevious (though his version to Lucas version was far better) was pretty good.
    Remember much of the Prequel verse at that time had not been written so there was not much to contradict anyway.

TalonCard I disagree I think it will hold up longer that the TV show Clone wars for the simple fact it has a beginning, a middle and an end. Which TCW show does not have, that and a 3 year war seems to fit for it far better than the however many seasons TCW was attempting to do.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In answer to the last question, yes, I think the original Clone Wars show stuck more closely to the EU than TCW did and fit better with the EU material that came before and after it.

Plus as fett 4 already said, it was not all over the place the way TCW was.

fett 4 likes this.
  16. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    The microseries at least made efforts to stay coherent with the movies (Scary Grievous aside, but Genndy can't be blamed for that). And it helped that the popular Dark Horse comics fit very well with the events of the original cartoon. The gap between AOTC and ROTS is very well expanded upon, from Anakin's apprenticeship to knighthood way up to Order 66. And at least Tartakovsky was able to juggle side character storylines without losing track of who the main characters were.

I think the differences between LoE and the microseries were resolved (kind of) with Evasive Action comic.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    All I know is at the time when the Clone Wars microseries first aired I was only reading post-ROTJ EU and it got me to finally delve into PT era stuff. It is curious to think if Genndy cared about the EU, but the microseries certainly meshed better with the EU than the Filoni Clone Wars did. It's one of the many reasons I prefer it (both are great shows though!).

18. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think back in the day when I actually cared significantly about continuity, I was one of those people who were annoyed that the Microseries and LoE didn't quite mesh right. But that was the old me; these days, I appreciate both the Gennedy material and TCW without worrying about how such and such affected canon. And yeah, it's a bit of a shame that the Microseries will probably find itself overlooked as time goes on.

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The microseries took an EU planet named Muunilinst that was associated with banking and made it the headquarters of the Muun species who were the leaders of the Banking Clan. That's a way more logical retcon/integration with the EU than anything the 3D series did.

Revanfan1, fett 4, Dante1120 and 5 others like this.
  20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Was the whole "ithorians have 4 throats" thing only in the microseries because if that's the case if Genndy is too be believed that ithorian in the Mos Eisly cantina in EP IV could have reduced the place to rubble with a burp:p

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

Momaw Nadon isn't a Jedi Ithorian, though.