main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did George do it for the money?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i was suprised to learn that the prequels were made, in an interview with lucas, so he could make his 'arty' films for the next 20 years and not worry about them making money. do you think that was a good reason to make them?

2. DARTHDREDD71

DARTHDREDD71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    George made the films because he wanted to.The man was loaded already before he made ep 1.

3. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    Probably no.

4. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Actually, I think he did do it alittle for the money, but who can blame him. In an interview with Charlie Rose last September, he said he had to make a decision in the early 90's. In the 80's, he had gone through a divorce and it took him many years after that to break even as a company. He said he could do the prequels, and that would be the safe bet to make money and give him the freedom to do whatever he wants after that. By now making so much money off the prequels, no studio will ever have to dictate to him what to do.

I was suprised how candid he was about this subject. I believe in his mind he wanted to do the prequels, because he loves Star Wars, plus the financial gain from it would be astronomical. To me it was a no-brainer. I was suprised that Lucasfilm was not as profitable in the late 80's/early 90's as Lucas said it was. The prequels definitely have given the Lucas Empire the financial security for a long time.

You can never get into someones head, so I am just specualting, but I do think it was several factors other than money: Love of the series, Star Wars was his baby, and that the technology had evolved so much he was giddy about doing a trilogy that he could execute anything on screen. But there is no doubt money was definitely a factor.

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Come on, now.

6. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
  7. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    No, a lot of SW fans wanted a PT, largely for what happened in ep 3

8. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    No, he did it all for the Wookiee.

9. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
  10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    If he did it for the money, he wouldn't invest in new technology (something he did.) If he truly was in it for profits, then he would do it with models and puppets. Instead he chose to pioneer new technology which was a major risk. So he didn't do this for the money, you are taking his quote out of context.

-Seldon

11. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    ^agreed completely. I'd like to add, judging from how many people watch Star Wars only for the action scenes, he could have made this money a lot more easily than spending an awful amount of time and effort in creating all those cross-references, forward- and backward-continuities, citations of classical movies, symbolisms and references to all kinds of religions and mythology. After all, it seems that at least 90 percent of the viewers don't even notice half of what he put into it.

12. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    no. he did it for the girls.

13. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Did he do it for the money? Mais bien sur!

14. AmosMoses

AmosMoses Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2005
    and if he did it for the money? so what.
    Why do I go to work very day? To make people happy, of course.
    If Lucas can make 3 films that will set him up for life, then I'm fine with it.

15. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    really seldon sid it pretty well. the real reason he made the pt was to present new tecnology. to reestablish his team as the frontrunners in this game of making movies. and he was able to showcase this new tecnology in a format that EVERYBODY would go and see. sure he wanted to make money. but don't we all. even buddist monks ask for money.

16. DarthJebediah

DarthJebediah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    If he did it for the money, he probably would'nt have that enourmous chin. Because God knows, I woulda gotten rid of that thing years ago.

My guess is this: Poonani.

17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    No, he didn't.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    That isn't exactly what I said.
    I said if he wanted to do it for the money, he wouldn't invest in new and risky technology. CGI costs a lot of money, he could do the films in a much cheaper, and older way. The fact that he didn't, is a support for why he wasn't only interested in money.

While he wanted to improve technology, I don't believe that was his only reason for making the prequels. Part of it is the need to tell the backstory. For love of the story and the fans.

-Seldon

19. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Where did he say that?

As far as I know, he said that, now with the PT done, he can make arty films for the rest of his life and not worry about them making money.

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Exactly!
    mynameismyown has taken the quote out of context.

-Seldon

21. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    and I agree with you. but your point about the tecnology was dead on. keep in mind he did have other motivations in making these films. yeas he did it for the fans. but he really did it to continue the develpoment of new tecnologies. to prove that a movie can be made in your own home reletivly inexpensivly. sure the budgets are staggering on these films. but the tecnology he is employing is going to be less expensive then traditional filmmaking.

what the pt represents to me is a turning point in filmmaking. if you can imagine it you can put it on the screen. writers, producers, directors are no longer limited to what they can see and feel. look at what robert rodregriez did with sin city. he is taking lucas innovations to the next level. the invention of his digital camera. is far more signiffigent then most give him credit for. this is a camera that never runsout of film but aactually has the look of film. anybody that works with both will usually tell you they can see a difference. but with this camera the differences are that it is more detailed then film.

the pt changed the way a film can be shot. and edited. this will have profound effects on future filmmakers. I love the scene on mustafar anakin and obi wan are both facing the camera, mediem shot of anakin, obi wan stands furter away, behind anakin. both are in perfect focus. before this there would have been a line down the center of the film, where it was cut, look at a lot of scorsase films or oliver stone films, mostly ones shot by robert richardson. lots of duel focus. but in ROTS there are tons of shots like this where everything is in focus. it gives everything a lush background. feels more real. thats just one aspect.

22. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Dude, Lucas was filthy rich after the originals. This is really a ridculous thread. He did it for the fans. He did for his own gratification. He had a story from the beginning so he wanted to finish it. In his view, it is all one movie, not six.

23. DarthJebediah

Jun 28, 2005
    Yeah, he really was filthy rich. I mean he bought Skywalker Ranch just after his earnings for A New Hope. Multiply that by 3, and there really is no need for MORE money. He did it because he felt compelled to, for the fans and for himself. Simple as that.

MOD EDIT: Let's keep it clean.

24. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    and he lost a lot of that money in his divorce. hence all the stuff about non attachment. it applys to people, things, and money.

but I agree he did not do it for the money. but I don't fool my self into thinking he did it just for the fans.

25. DarthJebediah

Jun 28, 2005
    I still think he should get a chin or three removed. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.