main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did George do it for the money?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

Well okay its gone now, it won't bother you anymore. It wasn't too bait Jedi, it was an analogy to this entire thread.

In my oppinion this thread comes down to jealousy, George loves his movies and it's quite obvious. If he didn't he would have cut his losses after TPM.

I know I'm never going to be as rich or famous as George and I'm okay with that.

2. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    I honestly believe that (despite the fact that the man contradicts his OT scripts on a frequent basis) Lucas cares about the fans and wants to show the public what his completed work was supposed to be like. That is also why I do not think he will make sequels- he made the prequels simply because he wanted the viewer to see the intended cycle, not to extend the series beyond its shell-life. Whether Hollywood will continue it is up for grabs. But I digress. He had enough money before the prequels to leave his grandchildren's children well off, and even though it may have had a small part just look at LucasFilms Ltd. The stockholders there and the revenue it produces in other medias has produced a pretty penny. And Forbes Magazine has measured the Star Wars films to have grossed over $20 billion dollars in total revenue (that's also counting items outside the immeadiate films). For a guy who delves more into the Bhuddist teachings than most Bhuddists today, it's a little out of character to crave for more cash; don't you think so?

In summation...if you're so dissatisfied with the man making so much money don't bother giving him more by buying the merchandise and watching the films. No one is forcing you to...usually...

3. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    Kinda fun to revisit old threads.

I felt compelled to chime in because of the "arrogance" comment here. Yes, GL wrote/produced/directed all the PT films. But he did'nt do it ALL by himself. If anything, GL is quite willing and capable of collaborating with others. He co-wrote AOTC with Jonathan Hales and supposedly had help w/ ROTS from an uncredited Tom Stoppard. I also seem to recall that GL had originally asked Lawrence Kasdan to help w/ TPM screenplay. Kasdan turned him down after reading the early treatment-saying it was fine the way it was and any contribution Kasdan made would simply dilute GL's vision.

In non-writing stuff, basically ALL the creatures, ships and environments in ALL the SW films are actually designed by others. GL simply puts his visions, ideas and suggestions concerning the various story elements out there and lets others run with them. GL does have final say on all of the design aspects, but it isn't like it's GL himself doing the concept art, maquette sculpts, etc.

Anyway, getting off-topic here. Yes he did it for the money (wouldn't any of us?). But I do not believe for a second that GL's primary motivation was to see his checking account expand exponentially. He did it for the love of the SW story and his own need to expand upon the technology of movie-making. If that means he also makes a few bucks on t-shirts and action figures to finance his future-good for him!

4. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    He did it for his art. If it were for the money, he would have catered to everyone's wants and wishes. Instead he made awesome films his own way, and that's why i love star wars. There is already enough made-for-the-masses films out there. i own very few dvd's,most films are only worth seeing once, but star wars is forever.

5. Jedi_Jack_Bauer

Jedi_Jack_Bauer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 2, 2006
    This is a silly debate, George Lucas rules!!!

6. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    60% for the money
    40% for his ego (it wouldn't hurt to have jillions of fans worship him again...)

7. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Did George Do It For The Money?

IMO he wanted to tell the story. He wanted to appeal to a new generation and Put Star Wars back up there in every one's minds and lets face it he knew he would get great revenue in return. For his credibility, he is a successful producer and director with Star Wars EP IV but he didn't direct ESB or ROTJ. So whats he done to get the credibility as a director? Ed the duck? [face_whistling]. The PT helps put him back up there even though Star Wars is not renown for it's acting and direction I still think it helps, plus it gives Lucas another 3 films to go in the top 25 all time Box Office.

70% Wanting to tell his story/ Appeal to a new generation.
    30% For the Money/Credibility.

8. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    No. George had plenty of money before. He always said he'd go back "at some point and tell the rest of the story."

9. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Have you ever read about the making of those films? Lucas didn't exactly go on vacation during the making of them. He was still just as in-charge creatively as he was with any of the SW films and deserves plenty of credit for both. There's even an anecdote out there somewhere about how George stepped in and took over during the shooting of a scene in Jabba's palace because he didn't like the way the director was setting it up.

10. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    No, but some SW collectors do.

11. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I think it's ridiculous to say that Lucas did it for the money! He spent almost ten years of hard work making the prequels. If Lucas had did it only for the money he would have sat down as Executive Producer and hired other people as screenwriters and directors for the movies. When he did everything himself instead that proves how he cared about making them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.