Did George Lucas Lie To Us?

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by TheAnointedOne, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, yeah? That was the whole point I was making. Thanks for helping out.

Any time. :p

I do have one question about this. If none of this is developed in the movies, how do you know it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, (at least not this time, ) I'm simply wondering if the idea isn't developed, how do you know that's what it was meant to be? Maybe all it ever was supposed to be was a name. I'm not saying that's the case, but if it's not developed, then how do we know what you have hypothesized is accurate?

If you're not saying it's the case, then why bother bringing it up?

Actually, I have two questions. How do you know this won't all be addressed in the next chapter of the story, and a few of you are getting all bent out of shape over nothing? Just a thought.

If it is, then it is. If it isn't, then I was "getting all bent out of shape" for a reason. :p I doubt ten minutes out of my day discussing a topic I like (the shoddiness of the Prequels) will be a tragic loss if I'm wrong (which I doubt).

Ah, but like it or not, not everything that some people think should be fleshed uot actually needs to be fleshed out. The entire series is chock-full of ideas that have holes in them for the viewer to fill in. It is sort of interactive that way, which is why I think the fan fiction has flourished over the years. And to an extent, why there are so many EU novels and stories, and why most of them sell pretty decently.

As was said earlier in this thread, it's absurd to find the beauty of Star Wars lies in its holes and fallacies.

Actually, despite what Uncle George might often claim, and even though he did have a loose backstory scribled on a cocktail napkin somewhere, it wasn't really starting in the middle originally. At least not as far as we the viewers knew. There was no "EPISODE IV" when it was first released. That wasn't added until '79, two years later. It was just Star Wars at first, and Vader was the Dark Lord of the Sith before it became the middle of the story.

Yes, I know, "The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, Episode I, The Star Wars," yadda yadda yadda.

Once again, you do not know that it has been abandoned. All you really know is it hasn't been done the way you think it should have been done. And the starting in the middle thing didn't hold water back in '77 either, as I explained above, but no one had a problem with it then.

Well, seeing as how it was an idea with great potential that went no where in the first two movies, I highly doubt Lucas is going to revisit it and develop it in the third installment.

It wasn't a foolish decision, just not one YOU are happy with.

How keen of you to state the obvious. :p

It's not the way you wanted it to go, and that's fine. You have the right to feel that way. Some things haven't gone the way I was hoping they would either. But I'm not letting that ruin the film for me either. I'm not getting hung on on extremely minor details to the point that I have to spend four pages arguing about them. It's just not worth it. (Even though this IS kind of a long post. )

Actually, I didn't really "expect" anything with these movies. I went into them with a clean slate, eliminated all ideas and expectations. The ideas I've shown on what I think are based on items that I feel Lucas blundered on by failing to delve deeper.

But there HAS ben a constant villain - Palpatine. He's the villain throughout the entire story.

But the heroes need a constant villain to develop anamosity against. The conflict is what generates growth.

Now this is something I just don't understand. And I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I just don't get the reasoning here. MOST movies you only have the one film to become emotionally invested in the
  2. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Well, seeing as how most movies aren't meant to go past one movie

What?

Have you SEEN Hollywood lately? Movie executives would love it if they could figure out ways to make sequels without the risky investment of the original film.

They've been planning Legally Blonde 3 and LB2 isn't out yet.

There's been talk of Hulk 2 already, as well...

Maybe back in the day sequels were not the going thing. Nowadays, if you make your money back on part 1, you go for part 2 for the hell of it.

Oh, wait, there's no snow

[face_laugh] That line's great! I'm stifling a laugh right now (I'm at work!)...

Rick McCallum loves you!
  3. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What?

Have you SEEN Hollywood lately? Movie executives would love it if they could figure out ways to make sequels without the risky investment of the original film.

They've been planning Legally Blonde 3 and LB2 isn't out yet.

There's been talk of Hulk 2 already, as well...

Maybe back in the day sequels were not the going thing. Nowadays, if you make your money back on part 1, you go for part 2 for the hell of it.

Yeah, story-wise, most movies aren't meant to go past the first part. Often is the case where it's either popular, or predicted to be popular, and the sequels are rushed into production to cash in on said popularity.

That line's great! I'm stifling a laugh right now (I'm at work!)...

Glad you liked it. I liked it too, but then again, I'm biased. :p
  4. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Nice way of dodging the question. If not to die so Anakin can turn to the Dark Side, what purpose does Dooku serve?

Well he didn't dodge the question, he said you ought to wait until the film is out to see what Dooku's purpose is.
    Besides he served a purpose of a) creating a separatist movement and b) starting the Clone Wars. And thats just from AOTC, his other purpose, well as JM said we will have to see.

Why should it matter if I "hate" the movies or not? Can't one be critical of movies? If you like a movie, does that mean you become completely blind of the flaws as one swears undying loyalty to its creator? Sorry, but I won't do that.

But neither do us fans. But there is a point where as a fan you accept the flaws for what they are and just enjoy the movie.
    Bashers (who are in the extreme minority I might add) like yourself somehow can't get over the flaws and continue to use those immaterial niggles as reasons to trash the prequels and complain for the sake of it.
    And most of the complaints I might add are short term complaints, like the the problem with Dooku only being in the last third of the movie, for example.

I most certainly don't swear underlying loyalty to Mr. Lucas, but I sure as hell love his films and get a kick from each viewing. Plus as I said above whatever flaws there are in the films, I ignore because they don't damage my enjoyment.
  5. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Well he didn't dodge the question, he said you ought to wait until the film is out to see what Dooku's purpose is.

Besides he served a purpose of a) creating a separatist movement and b) starting the Clone Wars. And thats just from AOTC, his other purpose, well as JM said we will have to see.

Yes, I know: Then what purpose does Dooku serve? If not to die at Anakin's hand as a means of turning fully to the Dark Side and devoting his loyalty to Palpatine, then what? Cause a breach in the Galaxy? Done.

But neither do us fans. But there is a point where as a fan you accept the flaws for what they are and just enjoy the movie. Bashers (who are in the extreme minority I might add) like yourself somehow can't get over the flaws and continue to use those immaterial niggles as reasons to trash the prequels and complain for the sake of it.

That is simply too absurd and ridiculous for me to validate with a direct response pertaining to the idea.

And most of the complaints I might add are short term complaints, like the the problem with Dooku only being in the last third of the movie, for example.

And don't you think there are technical issues with that dealing with writing?

I most certainly don't swear underlying loyalty to Mr. Lucas, but I sure as hell love his films and get a kick from each viewing. Plus as I said above whatever flaws there are in the films, I ignore because they don't damage my enjoyment.

The Dark Side clouds all. :p
  6. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    That is simply too absurd and ridiculous for me to validate with a direct response pertaining to the idea.

Hmmm I must be pretty close to mark then.

And don't you think there are technical issues with that dealing with writing?

Nope since I don't care.

The Dark Side clouds all.

Somehow I knew you would latch on to the "I ignore" bit of my comment (besides you'd have nothing to respond about :p ), and you misunderstood the context, which is wonderful.
    Just because I ignore the flaws when I watch the films doesn't mean I don't know there are flaws in the films, just that I don't let them ruin my enjoyment.
  7. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Yes, the Dark Side DOES cloud us all.

whatever flaws there are in the films, I ignore because they don't damage my enjoyment.

That sums up my feelings on SW as a whole, and not just individual films.

I don't pretend SW's flaws don't exist. It's been a muddled mess since 1977. But it's my kind of muddled mess. And whether there's an obvious (and poor) matte job in ANH or a bad line in AOTC, I'll live.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  8. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmm I must be pretty close to mark then.

Not really, your comment was inciteful and polarizing; insinuating that you are a fan and I'm not because I don't appreciate the films in the same way. That sort of idiotic posting is what generates hostility at the boards.

Yes, the Dark Side DOES cloud us all.

It's fun, isn't it? [face_devil]

That sums up my feelings on SW as a whole, and not just individual films.

I don't pretend SW's flaws don't exist. It's been a muddled mess since 1977. But it's my kind of muddled mess. And whether there's an obvious (and poor) matte job in ANH or a bad line in AOTC, I'll live.

Exactly. It's all in fun.
  9. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Not really, your comment was inciteful and polarizing; insinuating that you are a fan and I'm not because I don't appreciate the films in the same way. That sort of idiotic posting is what generates hostility at the boards.

Well not to be more offending but it sometimes feels like you guys aren't fans by the way you act (maybe a change of image? "We bash because we love" might be an idea :p ).

But in any case, I must be close to the mark about what I said AFTER that comment. Otherwise you wouldnt have focused on the offending comment.
  10. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Stop with all this "close to the mark" talk. Otherwise we'll end up continuing the whole ESB conversation and then someone's sister will kiss them on the mouth and none of us want that.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  11. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  12. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Stop with all this "close to the mark" talk. Otherwise we'll end up continuing the whole ESB conversation and then someone's sister will kiss them on the mouth and none of us want that.

*starts to walk away from the conversation, then runs like hell* :p

Ok I'll not mention those four words again, "I promise" :p
  13. Jedi-Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    If you're not saying it's the case, then why bother bringing it up?

Um...I didn't bring it up. I was simply responding to your post.

If it is, then it is. If it isn't, then I was "getting all bent out of shape" for a reason. I doubt ten minutes out of my day discussing a topic I like (the shoddiness of the Prequels) will be a tragic loss if I'm wrong (which I doubt).

Hey, it's your life. But then again, in my opinion you have already been wrong about the last two movies, so I'm not really worried about the next one.

As was said earlier in this thread, it's absurd to find the beauty of Star Wars lies in its holes and fallacies.

I'm sorry, someone SAID that was absurd? I didn't know that. I guess it MUST be absurd then.

Wait a minute.

"It's not absurd!"

There, now someone has SAID that it's not absurd. So someone can now look back at this and use the argument that it's already been stated earlier in this thread that it's NOT absurd to find the beauty of Star Wars lies in its supposed holes and fallacies.

Oh, dear. NOW what are we to do?

Yes, I know, "The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, Episode I, The Star Wars," yadda yadda yadda.

Well, if you know, why are you trying to say otherwise? Hmmm.

Well, seeing as how it was an idea with great potential that went no where in the first two movies, I highly doubt Lucas is going to revisit it and develop it in the third installment.

It may well be an idea with great potential, but that does not make it essential to the story. It is entirely possible that it has already accomplished what it was intended to. If you don't agree with it that's your problem, just like it would be MY problem if I don't agree with it. And doubting something will happen and KNOWING something won't happen are two entirely differnt things. You may be correct and the idea will not be revisited, but then as has been mentioned, maybe it doesn't need to be revisited.

How keen of you to state the obvious.

Again, if it's so obvious, why did you state otherwise in the post I was responding to?

Actually, I didn't really "expect" anything with these movies. I went into them with a clean slate, eliminated all ideas and expectations. The ideas I've shown on what I think are based on items that I feel Lucas blundered on by failing to delve deeper.

Okay, everybody expected SOMETHING with these movies. It's inevitable. You expect something every time you go see ANY movie. And it just so happens that more was expected of these movies. No one went into the theater that night, (or whatever time of day,) with a 'clean slate.' You had to have some expectations or you wouldn't have been there, and you wouldn't still be complaining about things relating TPM to the older movies after four years. I know I had expectations, and thankfully most of them were met, so I don't have a problem and am able to enjoy the movie.

But the heroes need a constant villain to develop anamosity against. The conflict is what generates growth.

There were constant villains. They don't necessarily need ONE single villain the whole time. They need adversity to grow, and that was provided, just not in the way you would have prefered. That sometimes happens when you're not the one writing the story.

Well, seeing as how most movies aren't meant to go past one movie, it's kind of all or nothing. Star Wars is a series of movies that, supposedly, make up one story as they go along. We follow a set of characters as they grow, and to have the main character and his foe not have a prominent role until the last 2/3 of the movie is indeed sloppy writing.

Oh, please tell me you didn't seriously mean that? Not meant to go past one movie? Every movie that is released in theaters the studios are tracking the box office to see about the viability of a franchise. They even admit to making some movies solely for the purpose of creating a franchise. This is why Warner Brothers is so desperate to get Superman o
  14. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Um...I didn't bring it up. I was simply responding to your post.

Don't you remember what you said? "Maybe all it ever was supposed to be was a name. I'm not saying that's the case..." You brought up the notion of it just being a name, now you're saying you didn't? Make up your mind.

Hey, it's your life. But then again, in my opinion you have already been wrong about the last two movies, so I'm not really worried about the next one.

Um, okay... that's good. To use a Durwudian quote: "So?"

I'm sorry, someone SAID that was absurd? I didn't know that. I guess it MUST be absurd then.

Wait a minute.

"It's not absurd!"

There, now someone has SAID that it's not absurd. So someone can now look back at this and use the argument that it's already been stated earlier in this thread that it's NOT absurd to find the beauty of Star Wars lies in its supposed holes and fallacies.

So, it's not absurd to find the beauty of Star Wars in its holes and fallacies? Interesting. To more flaws it has, the more you like it then. No wonder you love the PT so much.

Well, if you know, why are you trying to say otherwise? Hmmm.

Because it IS a fourth chapter, it has been for over twenty years, twenty times longer than it was a "first chapter." It's the first chapter of the OT, and still heavily flawed as it used an amaturish approach to development.

It may well be an idea with great potential, but that does not make it essential to the story. It is entirely possible that it has already accomplished what it was intended to. If you don't agree with it that's your problem, just like it would be MY problem if I don't agree with it. And doubting something will happen and KNOWING something won't happen are two entirely differnt things. You may be correct and the idea will not be revisited, but then as has been mentioned, maybe it doesn't need to be revisited.

That's right, if it isn't mentioned, it is left undeveloped and unfleshed. It would have been pointless.

Again, if it's so obvious, why did you state otherwise in the post I was responding to?

Note to self: Do not even bother attempting to use wit and humor on Jedi Monkey.

Okay, everybody expected SOMETHING with these movies. It's inevitable. You expect something every time you go see ANY movie. And it just so happens that more was expected of these movies. No one went into the theater that night, (or whatever time of day,) with a 'clean slate.' You had to have some expectations or you wouldn't have been there, and you wouldn't still be complaining about things relating TPM to the older movies after four years. I know I had expectations, and thankfully most of them were met, so I don't have a problem and am able to enjoy the movie.

Story-wise, I erased all preconcieved notions I had of what this film would tell, so I was ready to absorb what Lucas had to offer. Execution-wise, I was at least expecting a well-written, well-acted. well-directed film.

There were constant villains. They don't necessarily need ONE single villain the whole time. They need adversity to grow, and that was provided, just not in the way you would have prefered. That sometimes happens when you're not the one writing the story.

What purpose do you have for saying that I did not write the story? I know I didn't write the story.

Oh, please tell me you didn't seriously mean that? Not meant to go past one movie? Every movie that is released in theaters the studios are tracking the box office to see about the viability of a franchise. They even admit to making some movies solely for the purpose of creating a franchise. This is why Warner Brothers is so desperate to get Superman off the ground. And it's also the reason they are having trouble finding someone to don the tights.
  15. Jedi-Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't you remember what you said? "Maybe all it ever was supposed to be was a name. I'm not saying that's the case..." You brought up the notion of it just being a name, now you're saying you didn't? Make up your mind.

Uh, yeah. I know what I said. It was a reply to something you posted. When did I try to say I didn't say any of that stuff? I didn't. The only thing I said about it was I was replying to your post, which I was? How was I changing my mind? It's okay, I'll give you time with this one, because it simply didn't happen.

Um, okay... that's good. To use a Durwudian quote: "So?"

Well, that was a snappy response. Very deep. Obviously a lot of thought went into it. You should feel good.

So, it's not absurd to find the beauty of Star Wars in its holes and fallacies? Interesting. To more flaws it has, the more you like it then. No wonder you love the PT so much.

Wow. So much to respond to here. First off, I believe I said supposed holes and fallacies. YOU look at them as holes, while some of us look at them as opportunities to expand upon the story ourselves. Kinda the way some of the fan fiction here does.

The more flaws it has, the more I like it? Thank you for telling me about myself. I was just kinda wandering through life aimlessly, not certain of what I should like. How fortunate you came along to help me out. I will be sure to name my next child after you out of appreciation.

And yes, I do greatly enjoy TPM and AOTC. I love all five of the Star Wars films, flaws and all. I don't see where one has more flaws than another, so why shouldn't I love them all?

Because it IS a fourth chapter, it has been for over twenty years, twenty times longer than it was a "first chapter." It's the first chapter of the OT, and still heavily flawed as it used an amaturish approach to development.

Yes, it is a fourth chapter. I didn't realize there was any question about this. NOW. BUT, back when it was released, for the first two years it was simply Star Wars, and people were speculating on what Star Wars 2 might hold for us. And the word Sith WAS associated with Darth Vader. Whether it was in the movie or not, the word has been associated with the character from the beginning. You can clap your hands over your ears and try to ignore anything outside of the movie if you want to, but that won't change the fact that Vader was called the Dark Lord of the Sith right from the beginning.

I don't know if I am reading the second half of that correctly though. It seems now it is not enough to bash the newer movies, but now we will begin bashing the one that started it all as well?!? Again, If I am misreading that, I apologize. And it's flawed because of the way it was developed? THAT'S a new argument. I'll give you credit for that. I've never heard that one before. But, what exactly was so 'wrong' about the way it was developed?

That's right, if it isn't mentioned, it is left undeveloped and unfleshed. It would have been pointless.

Being given a name is pointless? Why is that? It's entirely possible that the only reason Sith was even introduced was to give a name to these guys. And if that's all it was, then mission accomplished and we can move on with the story now.

Note to self: Do not even bother attempting to use wit and humor on Jedi Monkey.

Hey I'm all for it if you wanna try and use wit and humor to avoid answering questions you have no real answer for. But here's a little tip for ya; if you're going to try that, be sure to actually include the wit and humor in the post. It makes it easier for the rest of us when reading it. Just some friendly advice.

Story-wise, I erased all preconcieved notions I had of what this film would tell, so I was ready to absorb what Lucas had to offer. Execution-wise, I was at least expecting a well-written, well-acted. well-directed film.

Hey, congratulations on being the only person in the civilized world who managed to do that. It's a shame you couldn't have sold your secret to som
  16. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    Once again, great responses Loco.

And I for one, will continue to comment and express my thoughts on the PT. People need to think outside th ebox on these forums. I have said this before: is ANYONE on here a sports fan??? I watch my favorite teams play regularly, own Jerseys, go to games, call radio stations to discuss them, post on the web, etc.. I am a die-hard fan. but if my team sucks this season, I will not hesitate to voice my concerns over the poor play, bad coaching, troublemakers..etc. I have no qualms about going on a message board and saying "this coach is terrible! Fire him!" or "that was a horrible trade, what kind of GM gives $80M to a guy whose knees are so bad he has playd 6 games in 2 years?"

Does this make me less of a fan? Of course not. The entire idea is absurd.

You can love a team and still come down hard on it. In fact, it is the most hard-core of fans who do come down the hardest.

So could it be....that I am actually the biggest fan of the PT in this forum?? Yes!!
  17. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Bashers (who are in the extreme minority I might add) like yourself somehow can't get over the flaws and continue to use those immaterial niggles as reasons to trash the prequels and complain for the sake of it.

Not really. Burtola's post was too idiotic to legitimize with an actual response.

So what I said was idiotic huh? LMAO! Forgetting my little inappropriate comment you sweeped over the comment above, now why can that be? Because perhaps what I said was true?

EDIT:

It's only "insightful" if you're on the same side of the fence. What he said was clearly inciteful as he was making himself out as a "true fan" (my words, not his) because of the position he holds. It being different than mine, the implication is, he is a fan and I'm not. It's not that hard to see, Monkey.

Even though this is addressed to Monkey, I want to again apologise for my comment. You are no less a fan than me just because you don't like the prequels.

And it seems there are other people who have an almost blind devotion to these new movies and to Lucas that they try and cram their own ideas down other people's throats.

Excuse me? No one who likes the PT are blind devotees. Why do you negative people always spew this rubbish?
    Yeah so I was inciteful with my remark, but you're just as bad saying that rubbish.
    Most of us here like the PT because it is actually GOOD. Not because its a series made by George Lucas.
    If thats all you can comprehend from those of us who like the prequels, I seriously think you should re-evaluate your thinking.
  18. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So what I said was idiotic huh? LMAO! Forgetting my little inappropriate comment you sweeped over the comment above, now why can that be? Because perhaps what I said was true?

EDIT:

It's only "insightful" if you're on the same side of the fence. What he said was clearly inciteful as he was making himself out as a "true fan" (my words, not his) because of the position he holds. It being different than mine, the implication is, he is a fan and I'm not. It's not that hard to see, Monkey.

Even though this is addressed to Monkey, I want to again apologise for my comment. You are no less a fan than me just because you don't like the prequels.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Excuse me? No one who likes the PT are blind devotees. Why do you negative people always spew this rubbish?
    Yeah so I was inciteful with my remark, but you're just as bad saying that rubbish.
    Most of us here like the PT because it is actually GOOD. Not because its a series made by George Lucas. If thats all you can comprehend from those of us who like the prequels, I seriously think you should re-evaluate your thinking.

My remark was meant to show Monkey how inaccurate fan characterizations of other fans are. What I said was clearly inaccurate and you responded as you should, you were outraged. Why? Because what I said wasn't true, right? Just as how any one else would get upset when the "hate" issue comes up when talking about/with Bashers. I'm not talking about anyone specific, but the notion that we hate Star Wars and we only want to tear it down is totally false, just as that sample comment I made that got you to respond.
  19. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This thread has turned into the battle of the long-ass posts.
  20. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  21. Jedi-Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    Long-ass posts are FUN!
  22. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    We'll see if MOnkey ever admits to walking right into the trap in yuor post.. ;)

And I am still the Reigning #1 fan of the PT!!
  23. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL

While you may be the reigning #1 fan of the PT, I shall be the #2 reigning fan of the PT! :p
  24. Jedi-Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    We'll see if MOnkey ever admits to walking right into the trap in yuor post..

I'm sorry. Did you actually have something to add to the conversation? Or are you simply trying to add to your post count? Or perhaps you are saying this because you feel the argument Loco is trying to make cannot stand on its own without hiding traps in it? Hmmm?
  25. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm sorry. Did you actually have something to add to the conversation?

I suppose I could have said that to the people who felt "compelled" to increase their post counts by supporting you without adding anything at all to the discussion. But I didn't want to be rude.

Or are you simply trying to add to your post count? Or perhaps you are saying this because you feel the argument Loco is trying to make cannot stand on its own without hiding traps in it? Hmmm?

Hmm, I assume that's a "no."

It's okay, I know that for the most part, my argument was critical of the films while you had to resort to criticising me to make your points of defense. I understand, you were desperate and trying to hide it. It's all right, I have no hard feelings against you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.