main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did GL invent Sith Rule of 2 or did EU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_Leeda, Dec 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Vader is described as a Dark Lord of the Sith in the first page of the ANH novel, although the term was never used in the OT. I read the Marvel comics as a kid, and every so often someone would write in asking what a Sith Lord was.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I never said Darth Bane wasn't canon, Commander Antilles. I simply said he was EU, because he wasn't mentioned in the films at all.

3. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    EU is not canon. TPM novel is secondary canon. So that means Darth Bane is canon.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Where do you get the idea that the EU is not canon? I am genuinely curious.

Besides, the TPM novel is EU.

5. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    "Sith" first appears in Lucas' early drafts, where the Jedi Bendu battled the Knights of Sith. It survived in the final draft, where Vader is referred to as a Dark Lord of the Sith (not in dialogue though, just in describing the character). Since the novelization is based off the screenplay, Dark Lord of the Sith was used to describe Vader there as well.

6. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    "Where do you get the idea that the EU is not canon? I am genuinely curious.

Besides, the TPM novel is EU.

The TPM novel is canon unless contradicted by the movies. Therefore Darth Bane is canon. EU is not canon. You can ask any administrator that. Haven't you learned this by now, or are you still living in your own little world?

7. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    GL invented the rule of two -

EU comics regarding the sith such as the golden age of sith, rise of the sith empire and fall of the sith empire were published before TPM existed.

splinter in the minds eye is what empire strikes back would have been like if star wars(now know as ANH) hadnt been such a huge hit. its the only EU book with that type of distintion.

the EU always rises to the challenge of filling the gaps about things that lucas never bothers going into detail about.

8. poweranger

Apr 21, 2002
    another theme that plays a part in the movies vs EU is the lost twenty...

supposedly only twenty jedi in the history of the order, left the jedi. which leaves me clueless as to where that fits in with the entire sith order theme. dooku is supposedly number twenty i think.

9. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    The TPM novel is canon unless contradicted by the movies.

But the TPM novel is EU. It's not a movie, it's a book and it's based on the characters and situations from the movie. Then by your definition how can it be canon?

Oh, and I think GL did come up with the rule of 2.

10. poweranger

Apr 21, 2002
    all movie novelizations are granted canon status becuase they are based on the actual screenplays - just as the films are - in most cases the novels get to include details that the films are unable to include. so while the film expands on the screenplay visually, the novels expand those same ideas in a book style. the books get to keep ideas that will never make it to the big screen.

while bane's origins are explained in the EU, the character is a lucas idea. the gap between movie trilogies gave opprotunity for confusion over sith. in the EU world a dark jedi named exar kun was created for a novel trilogy. then a comic book series was released that explained exar's origin in detail. then yet another comic book series was released(about the sith) that pre-dated exar by several centuries. all of these stories were written before episode one was released.

when the EU attempted to fill in the gaps regarding dark side users, they created an entire empire of the sith(apart from the jedi) that tore itself apart with civil wars...but the knowledge the sith teaching was never destroyed. many centuries later others, including exar kun, picked up on that same teaching only to be stopped by the jedi.

at this point things get mixed up, because once all these stories were published THEN GL revealed his grand design for episode one. so the EU had to write a new story around a darksider called bane.(years after exar kun's defeat in the comics) a new story that would satisfy the rule of two. so both bane and the rule of two were invented by GL, but the EU gets the credit for actually going into detail on the character. why? because GL tends to leave alot unexplained.
    before episode one, EU never followed the rule of two.

here's the list of comics i came across:
    (in order of events)

golden age of the sith
    fall of the sith[empire]
    nadd uprising
    dark lords of the sith
    sith war
    redemption
    jedi vs sith

all of these are listed as tales of the jedi. thats the bulk of darkside nfo not including games and other sw stuff. all of the stories listed above take place before episode one. jedi vs sith contains bane's origin story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.