main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Did GL sell because...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bashar, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    Does anyone else think that the deal with the new studio facilities they were attempting to build in Marin County being blocked lead to the sell to Disney?

It sure looked like they were setting up to do movies in house.

By all accounts this deal had been floated but not really talked about in full until very recently. I think they planned to the movies in hours with Kathleen helming them, perhaps distributed by Disney. I even think they planned on announcing them at CVI (based on the feeling that the big announcement at the closing ceremonies wasn't exactly the BIG announcement promised) but didn't for one reason or another.

As soon as the deal with the new facilities was halted, I think talks of the sale started in earnest, and here we are today.

If that's the case, thanks a lot people of Marin County (either sarcastically or genuinely depending on how you see it).

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It may have been a contributing factor, but not the sole reason. As GL implied, LFL needed not only fundings to be able to realize their artistic visions, but they also needed to be in a safe place where their artistic visions wouldn't be tampered with. The Disney deal will make sure of that - and give Disney an endless supply of money, along with the means to expand their own businesses to mind-blowing heights (since they'll be able to use Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Willow etc to their heart's content).

It's a win-win situation
    /LM

3. AdrianPatrick

AdrianPatrick Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    When I heard the news, I was just thinking, I hope GL's health is okay.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Oh, he's fine. At least as far as we know [face_worried]
    Seriously, he just seems happy to retire and let it all go. Relieved. People usually feel that way when they reach that point on life.
    I hope he gets to enjoy a long, happy retirement.

"I'm getting too old for this sort of thing"
    /LM