main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Han and Chewie really play chess together?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Naboo1, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    It seems to me Han wouldn't be the type to play chess. If he'd lost, he'd probably be the type to moan and whine.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I know quite a few people that doesn't seem the type to play chess. I guess that looks and attitude can be decieving at times.

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Han probably let Chewie win all the time because Han still has both his arms.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Han and Chewie probably played a lot of Djarik, it is one of the few items of entertainment that is on the Falcon.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Han probably let Chewie win all the time because Han still has both his arms.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

And he tells the droids that because he has firsthand experience, right? :p

Seriously - why would you (EV) say there was no other entertainment on the Falcon? We never even see most of the ship, so we don't know what they have. I assume they get holonet and whatever sort of entertainment is broadcast in the GFFA, since there's a receiver dish for transmissions.

Also, you misspelled dejarik. You're a bad EU fan. ;)

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    It's not Chess per se, but dejarik. It's a game where holographic monsters roam around a field killing each other. There's strategy involved, but also monsters ripping each other to shreds. Anyways, in a profession where there are plenty of long, boring hyperspace jumps and nothing to do, it seems pretty evident that they'd have to do something, and playing dejarik chess is one of the things they can do to pass the time. :)

I assume they get holonet and whatever sort of entertainment is broadcast in the GFFA, since there's a receiver dish for transmissions.

Isn't the dish for comms? I also think the Falcon is a little small for full HoloNet access, judging from comments in the X-wing series.

7. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Heh Mara, you caught me. [face_blush]

You're right there could be other forms of entertainment on the Falcon, but if I'm not mistaken one can't pick up the holonet in hyperspace. I'm sure the Falcon had holodrama's as well. EU of course.

At the very least their entertainment could've been keeping the Falcon working, that seems to be a job that takes a lot of time and energy.

8. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Han plays a game of Dejarik against Blue Max in HAN SOLO AND THE LOST LEGACY, so I guess he would play it if he felt like it.

9. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Let me get this straight.

Han doesn't look like someone who would play chess.

BUT CHEWIE DOES?!

[face_laugh]

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Han was scared to play, since Chewie might rip his arms off.

11. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    BUT CHEWIE DOES?!

Sure! We're shown in ANH that Chewbacca likes to play games of chance.

BUT, we know that Chewie doesn't like to risk his life in situations where he thinks that the outcome may be grim. Chewbacca probably likes chess for the fact that

A. He knows about every possible outcome.

B. It's one of the few things associated with his adventures on the Falcon that don't involve risking his life.

12. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    No, I was saying "CHEWIE LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE WHO PLAYS CHESS?!"

[face_laugh]

13. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    haha!! Just remembered something. In the ANH radio drama, Luke is also suprised to the find the Dejarik board.

Luke: "You know what I was surprised to find back in the crews' quarters? A holographic gameboard. I wouldn't think Solo'd be the type to play."

:)

14. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Han would probably only play when he's really really bored. And he'll try to win only when Chewie is in a very good mood :p

15. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "I assume they get holonet and whatever sort of entertainment is broadcast in the GFFA, since there's a receiver dish for transmissions. "

I don't know about the holonet but he dish is part of the sensor suite not communications. Go check out Han Solo at Star's End.

The Falcon could crew up to six so I'm sure it had some form of entertainment other that dejarik. Perhaps Solo had a huge collection of twi'lek girly mags.

16. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    The Falcon was equipped with military grade shields, military grade sensor suites, military grade concussion missiles, so I'm assumming it is also equipped with the holonet.

I've read Star's End and in fact, I know it has the holonet as I recall him watching the news at one point in the EU.

17. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    Han was scared to play, since Chewie might rip his arms off.

Chewie would NEVER rip Han's arms off. Not even if Han beats him in chess. Han probably witnessed someone else doing that, hence the knowledge :p

18. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    When you get to the point when you are arguing about the whys and wherefores of a seven-foot tall gun-toting spaceship co-pilot who looks like Bigfoot playing holographic chess, you have to agree that we are all ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!!! :)

They lock people in padded rooms for less, people! :)

19. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "I know it has the holonet as I recall him watching the news at one point in the EU. "

I thought the holonet was for communications? Hmmm hazy memory,,,I could be wrong. I haven'te EU'd in a while.

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Chewie would NEVER rip Han's arms off.

Chewie wouldn't rip off anyone's arms unless they were threatening his and Han's life. Han was just trying to scare Threepio.

21. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    The HoloNet is for communications, hence the 6 o'clock news would be on the HoloNet... ;)

22. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    I meant like communicating, talking, written text,you know radio like? Not a news broadcast of an anchor you nut. :p

23. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    I believe the scene in STARS' END, when the Falcon is hiding behind the asteroid, it's just an audio transmission Han intercepts. But I know that in THE HUTT GAMBIT, he also receives an automated visual welcome from Bail Organa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.