main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Han use the force?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alomanuma_Topha, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Did Han use the force when he dodged Greedo's laser blast? If you look at it in slow motion, there's no way a normal person could dodge that fast. If he did use the force that would explain a lot- like perhaps he used the force to kill boba fett in ROTJ. I always assumed it was luck, but after watching ANH again and han says "I call it luck" and ben says "In my experience there's no such thing as luck". This kinda prooves that Han uses the force to kill Boba Fett.

2. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    No, he didn't. He didn't actually dodge anything. George just decided to give Greedo the eyesight of Mr. Magoo when he did the SE of ANH. [face_plain]

»Who dares wins«

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    What Eva_Pilot said. It was just bad editing. That is one of the main reasons so many fans have a problem with this particular change. Han has no way of using the Force.

4. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    What Eva_Pilot said. It was just bad editing. That is one of the main reasons so many fans have a problem with this particular change. Han has no way of using the Force.

... because he doesn't have enough mediclorians? I don't think we're ever told Han's mediclorian count, so how would you know?

5. imapilotyoureapilot

imapilotyoureapilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    I like this theory, but I have a different one.

I think that in the cantina, Obi Wan is the one who pushes Han out of the way. However, in ROTJ, Luke is actually using the force to kill Boba Fett, but he did it in such a way as to make Han feel better about himself.

Still, Han can fly really well, and based on both Luke and the young Annakin, only pilots who are really, really in tune with the force can fly that well. So perhaps Han has that aspect of the force and just has never chosen to follow that path. But man, he would be the coolest jedi ever if he did!

6. Eva_Pilot04

Nov 15, 2001
    Han was never intended to have Force ability. The OT and the SE predate the entire concept of midichlorians by a comfortable margin. To paraphrase the man himself, Greedo shooting first was nothing more than an attempt to make Han seem "good" throughout the entire trilogy, rather than, you know, developing as a character... because that would just be ridiculous. That whole character development thing is wayyyyyy overrated. [face_plain]

»Who dares wins«

7. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    This isn't intended to be a thread discussing whether Han should've shot first. Now that he doesn't shoot first (and according to Lucas, always did), it seems to prove that Han can use the force and did use the force to dodge the laser blast. Same goes for killing Fett because "there's no such thing as luck".

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    ... because he doesn't have enough mediclorians? I don't think we're ever told Han's mediclorian count, so how would you know?

Like what was said above, midichlorians were only present in TPM. Why? Lucas needed a way to show the symbiotic relationship. They were not needed in the OT.

Now, here's another twist on things. If Han was Force sensitive, he would have been found and trained. Han was alive before the events of AOTC(during the height of the Jedi) and he was born on a core planet(Corellia). But, he was not found. Which means, Han is not Force sensitve. Maybe there is a thing as luck.

9. Eva_Pilot04

Nov 15, 2001
    Just watch the scene. He doesn't dodge anything. Whether Greedo was incredibly near sighted, hungover, or just the galaxy's worst shot, he missed Han by quite a wide margin. There was no dodging. The only part of Han that moved during that scene was his finger when he shot Greedo. End of story. ;)

»Who dares wins«

10. imapilotyoureapilot

imapilotyoureapilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    "Like what was said above, midichlorians were only present in TPM. Why? Lucas needed a way to show the symbiotic relationship. They were not needed in the OT. "

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you saying that after TPM the midicholorians all go away? Where do they go? And how does the force work without them?

I'm really getting confused.

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm really getting confused.

Sorry, my bad. I worded that wrong.

I meant, they are not needed for the rest of the story to be told. Just as an introduction to the Force in TPM. They never go away. And, what I am saying for the context of this thread is that it is irrelevant for them to just bring it up somewhere in the OT to test Han, or any of the other characters for that matter.

12. Eva_Pilot04

Nov 15, 2001
    As was said by Qui-Gon, midi-chlorians are present in all living things. Assuming that "midichlorian" is just the GFFA word for "mitochondria", simply having them doesn't give you access to the force. I'd assume that a Jedi's cells have an unusually high concentration in each of them.

But that's beside the point. Regardless of the rather annoying concept of midichlorians, had Han had any Force potential at all, surely Obi-Wan, Vader, or Luke (by ROTJ) would have sensed it. They didn't, and as far as I know there's no indication we'll see anything indicating it in the Ultimate Editions. Han simply was never, nor will he ever be Force sensitive.

»Who dares wins«

13. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    simply having them doesn't give you access to the force

Han simply was never, nor will he ever be Force sensitive.

So you're saying that Han may have had a high mediclorian count but for some reason can't ever use the force? Why not? Perhaps there's another requirement for being able to use the force? Maybe it's in someone's genes. If a Jedi father passes the X gene to their kids, then they will have the X gene and have force powers. That would be cool.

14. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Good god, stop even saying "midichlorian". That concept is so unbelievably ridiculous. As far as I care, Qui-Gon was high when he talked about it to Anakin and Obi-Wan was just playing along.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Perhaps there's another requirement for being able to use the force? Maybe it's in someone's genes. If a Jedi father passes the X gene to their kids, then they will have the X gene and have force powers. That would be cool.

There's not another way. And plus, even if the gene theory is true, it will not always guarantee the offspring will be a Jedi. There's always that slight chance that that particular trait could skip a generation.

16. Eva_Pilot04

Nov 15, 2001
    It is ridiculous, but unfortunately it's part of star wars now. [face_plain]

As for the other question, I think it would be safe to assume high midichlorian count is only a yardstick to measure how strong in the Force a potential Jedi can be. Since terrestrial mitochondria are basically a cell's source of energy, having unusually high concentrations of them will give you more energy to use the force or some other such nonsense.

I'd like to think there's still some sort of mystical element that gives Jedi their abilities regardless of the dreaded midis. If there must be some scientific explanation, I guess the gene thing works... to a degree anyway. Bah. [face_plain]

»Who dares wins«

17. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    How about they just made it up to explain something they have no comprehension of? Yes, that'll fit nicely. I'm so glad none of the Old Republic Jedi passed that knowledge on to Luke.

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps Solo just used his extensive collection of smuggler wits to "dodge the bullet" so to speak?

I'm sure Han kept at least one eye on that blaster, moreso the finger that was resting on the trigger. So it is quite possible that Solo saw that Greedo was about to fire and dodged in the nick of time? That's what I've always thought anyways, not that Greedo had bad aim, but rather Solo guessed when Greedo was going to shoot.

19. Eva_Pilot04

Nov 15, 2001
    Yeah, but he never moved. :p

»Who dares wins«

20. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    Even if Han hadn't suffered a massive siezure causing a massive muscle spasm, jerking him to the right, Greedo would have missed his shot by a margin of almost a foot.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    There's a thread discussing midichlorians in the OT already, so I hate to clutter up another one, but one small point. The Old Republic Jedi were wrong about a lot of things, which explains why the Force got tired of them and let them be purged. Is it possible their attempts to assign quantitative value to Force ability via midichlorians was just as ill-sighted, and that was why Yoda never bothered to mention it to Luke as far as we know?

because he doesn't have enough mediclorians? I don't think we're ever told Han's mediclorian count, so how would you know?

On the off chance Han had a high midichlorian count (which is a rare trait), it still wouldn't make a difference. If what we've been told in the PT is correct, midichlorian concentration measures potential, not developed ability. Luke always had a high count, we assume, but he couldn't do very much until he was trained.

22. Etaoin_Shrdlu

Etaoin_Shrdlu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes, Han used the force. He doesn't like to admit he has the ability to use the force because he views it as "Hokey Nonsense" so he calls it Luck. He uses "The Luck" when he is captured by Vader at Cloud City. How else could he have gotten to his blaster so quickly? When he was being tortured, he used the luck to dull the pain down enough to just feel "terrible". He used it when he quickly concluded that he actually did love Leia, he used it when he concluded Jabba was near in RotJ, and during the skiff battles the "luck" told him to hit Boba's Jett pack. There are countless incidents in which Han unknowingly uses the force ("luck"). After all the force is an energy field created by all living things and it Binds us and penetrates us and surrounds us, as it does Han.

J/k :p

23. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Did Han use the force when he dodged Greedo's laser blast?

Hah! Perhaps in the Ultra Edition (or whatever it's called) Lucas will now make Solo into a Jedi! Yes, it now makes sense!

[face_plain]

:p

24. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Still, Han can fly really well, and based on both Luke and the young Annakin, only pilots who are really, really in tune with the force can fly that well.

"Cool" as the Force is, must it be used to lessen the accomplishments of non-Jedi? Han is a smuggler, and is used to dodging Imperials (and anyone else who might be annoyed with him). It is in no way hard to believe that he got to be a good pilot on his own. Also, if you could, I'd like an example of anywhere in the movies where Luke's piloting ability is related to his Force sensitivity.

25. Etaoin_Shrdlu

Etaoin_Shrdlu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2004
    Also, if you could, I'd like an example of anywhere in the movies where Luke's piloting ability is related to his Force sensitivity.

When Luke was flying down the Death Star trench: Ben is guiding him through the force. Even Vader can sense it: "The Force is strong with this one."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.