main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    In fairness to Hayden, he didn't even know that he would be included in ROTJ. The footage of him was from a costume test that George used for the film. Much like Sebastian Shaw, Lucas didn't give Hayden any indication that this footage was going to be put in the film.

kainee likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The debate about Hayden being in ROTJ got its own thread at least a few times, and I can see both sides of that one.

3. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    He had the look of Anakin Skywalker but not the acting or personality.

4. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013

I disagree. I think he nailed it; knocked it out of the park. What would a kid who knows he's the chosen one, more powerful than the rest act like? Realistically, it would be like Anakin acted. I think the unrealistic option would be for him to act like Jesus Christ, which is what most people wanted him to be.

kainee likes this.
  5. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    If he knew he was soo powerful why did he spend half the trilogy crying??

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  6. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

Why did he cry about his mother being raped and murdered? Gee, I don't know...

Why was he upset about being held back by the Jedi? Palpatine is in one ear constantly inflating his ego, and the Jedi are in the other holding him back. As I said, it's quite obvious a real person would act like Anakin - not saint like, especially when we consider his past. He was a slave, raised in bondage. He was sick of being told what he could and couldn't do. He wasn't raised by the Jedi to be a beacon of goodness, like Obi-Wan.

7. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Raped? I missed that part. He was whining and crying before he found his mom

8. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

I thought it was implied, but it is irrelevant. Is murder not enough for you?

And heaven forbid a teenager acting like one - I'm sure you never whined about anything. Lucas made Anakin interesting, not just some cardboard cut-out of "goodness."

9. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    You're right..... Lucas just made him a cardboard cut-out period.

10. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

What does that even mean? I assume you don't even know because you can't say anything with any real detail. Anakin was anything but a cookie-cutter character. In anything, I'd argue he was the most complex character in the entire Star Wars saga... which is actually pretty obvious.

11. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Complex??? Anakin was done in the most linear way possible (in the prequels). Count Dooku was more complex. I always believed that Anakin would be a great, honorable Jedi Knight just like Obi Wan then tragically fall to darkside. In the prequels I never got the impression Anakin was ever much of a good guy. I had NO desire to root for him, esp. after seeing episode 2. In episode 3 you started to see signs that he may possibly become this great, honorable hero, but he flicks a switch and becomes Darth Vader.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

I think we have to agree to disagree. Anakin was torn in many different directions, and that was where his complexity comes from. Dooku's character was painted to completion by the end of Episode II. I'm glad you didn't root for Anakin, you want cardboard cut-out heroes across the board - I just don't find that very interesting. And if you think he just "flicked a switch" to become Vader out of the blue, I think you seriously need to watch the PT again, because you clearly failed to grasp the point of the entire trilogy.

kainee likes this.
  13. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    You want details?

Episode 1 - He's only there to say yipee and accidently blow up the main starship.... while acting like he's playing a video game

Episode 2 - You see Anakin on screen for maybe 5 mins before he starts taking Obi Wans head off with his whining. Throughout the movie he downtalks people in the most spoiled way. Disobeys orders, totally screws things up, and makes situations worse. Gets himself and padme captured, gets fried, gets his butt handed to him by Dooku and loses an arm.

Episode 3 - Kills unarmed Dooku in cold blood, as far as I'm concerned he's already Darth Vader in the beginning of the movie. Getting burned later is just a formality. More crying, then disobeys orders once again to save Palpatine after he just turned him in, totally screws up the galaxy for decades. More crying. Kills some kids. Kills some unarmed separatists. More crying. Get his butt handed to him by Obi Wan without ever landing a mark on him. Cries NOOOO. Yeah what a great and powerful character.

14. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    It's almost like Darth Vader in the OT is a totally different character underneath the suit

15. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013
    Anakin was a slave from a backwater desert wasteland prophesized to become the greatest Jedi of all time. He isn't some happy go lucky nit-wit who is a model of goodness. He is a slave for the first ten years of his life, and knows what a ****** universe it is. He feels like he can do anything a master could do at a very young age, because he could. He is being held back. It's like being stuck in the first grade until you are 20. Would that not make you whiny? I don't even accept that he is, as it is just small bits here and there, that betray what is really going on in his mind. He executes Dooku because of Palpatine. If a soldier had a gun to Bin Laden and was told to execute him by Obama, do you think he would hesitate? Oh wait, that happened and they didn't... I guess US soldiers following orders are tantamount to Sith Lords...

I'm sorry you see him as constantly crying. I know you are speaking from hyperbole but if that is your honest insight, nothing can change that. You don't like Anakin and certainly don't try to understand him. He is realistic, and I love every ounce of the character Lucas gave us.

And I agree after Episode I he wasn't easy to root for, and I'm glad for this. Lucas didn't just rehash the OT, he gave us something completely fresh which added depth to the OT and made it even more incredible.

16. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Hayden's Anakin was never a version people could easily root for (unlike Luke or Han) before he became Darth Vader. I remember watching Attack of the Clones on opening night and an hour in thinking that the Anakin - Obi wan duel might be in this movie!

VanishingReality likes this.
  17. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I disagree. Anakin clearly displays some cynicism, pride, and a good dose of fear in this film. He flinches away from Watto as he's called in to look after the shop. He is well aware that the only reason he's lasted so long is because he's so good at fixing things. He wants to prove himself and be helpful -- such as when he puts himself forward to race the podracer. He's afraid for his mother and worries about not seeing her again. There's actually some pretty subtle Vader hints too -- such as when Watto insults Qui-Gon, Anakin puffs his nine-year-old chest out and crosses his arms. Far from being one-dimensional, Anakin in TPM lays the foundation for all of Anakin's personality, emotional problems, and relationships in AOTC.

I always liked those scenes because it was clear that Anakin wanted to impress Padmé and was embarrassed at being caught not listening to Obi-Wan. He and Obi-Wan don't always get along perfectly, but I saw that as realistic -- Anakin is difficult because he's arrogant and powerful (and he knows it and it is constantly told to him) and he's also well aware that Obi-Wan doesn't believe in him or have a great deal of faith in him. I don't think it's a coincidence, for instance, that when Anakin is angry about being unable to save his mother -- about not being the "most powerful Jedi ever" -- that he is paralleling what Palpatine told him earlier in the film:

I see you becomming the greatest of all the Jedi, Anakin. Even more powerful than Master Yoda.

Plus, the film is an important piece of the puzzle in understanding Anakin's character arc. Whereas TPM lays the foundation for Anakin's fall -- his separation from his mother, the Jedi's coldness, his attachments, his relationship with Palpatine from a young/vulnerable age, Obi-Wan's lack of faith in him, his past as a slave, etc, AOTC lays out Anakin's character flaws, his personal failings that make him susceptible to the Dark Side -- his arrogance, his desire for power, his fear of losing loved ones, his impatience, his dissatisfaction with the political system, his need to be in control, his tendency to challenge authority. And it's in this film that this takes place because Anakin in ROTS has begun to make progress against his own flaws -- he's more apt to apologize, he understands his own flaws, he tries to do the right thing, much more readily. He matures, basically. Which is more realistic, I think. AOTC is basically a film in which Anakin has to face a lot of difficulties and fails -- he fails to catch Padmé's assassin, he fails to save his mother, he fails to save Padmé in the droid factory, he fails to save Obi-Wan, he fails to stop Dooku. That, to me, is good writing, because these failures either augment his successes in ROTS (his defeat of Dooku and rescue of Obi-Wan in that film) or play into his dilemmas (his failure to save his mother clearly feeds his fear of losing Padmé.)

I don't agree that killing unarmed Dooku is equivalent to being Darth Vader, sorry. He was a soldier who was ordered by his head of state to kill the leader of the opposition. Morally questionable? Sure. But I would no more condemn Anakin for that act than I would condemn the soldiers who killed Osama bin Laden on the US President's orders.

And it's clear we don't look at the prequels the same way, but it seems to me that Darth Vader was never meant to be a "great and powerful" character. Instead, with PT, Lucas shows how hollow and empty the "power" of the Dark Side is. In the end, Darth Vader isn't some sort of unstoppable force. He's a frightened, broken, selfish man who was too weak to do what was right. And that's a powerful statement about the nature of evil -- that it is childish, that it is pathetic. There's a reason Lucas chose to portray Darth Vader unmasked in ROTJ as an old, weak, visibly scarred man -- and it wasn't so that we would be frightened of him or in awe of his power. It was so that we could see his pitiful nature and realize that this is what the Dark Side does to us.

I think it's brilliant, personally.

Darth Raiden, Zer0, kainee and 9 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well said, PiettsHat.

I've read the last several posts and am still trying to figure out what's wrong with crying. It's something normal people do when they're upset; I'd be far more concerned about the mental stability of someone who never cries, not even when they're alone, not even when something tragic happens (like one's mother being kidnapped and tortured to death).

There were no tears in TPM and there actually should have been. In the novelization, Anakin cried when he left his mother, on the ship when Padme found him and covered him with a blanket, and at Qui-Gon's funeral. Those are normal places for tears, especially from a nine-year-old. It's not like he cried when Sebulba insulted him or anything. And even if he had, I don't think a kid that age should be condemned for crying when his feelings are hurt. He wasn't an adult. The lack of tears was an issue with either Jake Lloyd's acting or Lucas' direction, but they were actually supposed to be there.

AOTC: The whining is a separate issue, and there were scenes when I wanted to slap him, but...he's still immature and in the scene where he back-talks Obi-Wan, he is desperate to impress Padme and has no idea what the hell to do. He doesn't want to be told to "learn his place" in front of the woman he likes. I've posted this before--this is what I think happened to Anakin in that scene:

Padme: "I don't want more security, I want answers, I want to know who is trying to kill me."

Obi-Wan: [Cue in the adults from the Peanuts cartoons] "Wah wah WAH wah"

Anakin: "We will find out who is trying to kill you, Padme."

Leave out Obi-Wan's line and Anakin's response makes perfect sense. I don't think he even heard Obi-Wan, I think he was too focused on Padme.

He behaved badly in that scene and in the scene in Jamillia's throne room but I understand his motivations.

As far as crying, I'm pretty sure the only time he cried in that movie was after Shmi died, and I would think something was seriously wrong with him if he hadn't cried then.

ROTS: The only tears came when he was alone (OK, Padme was with him in the first scene but he thought she was asleep) and he cried twice over fear that Padme was going to die and once over regret that he had behaved so horribly, or regret that he thought he had to commit murder in order to save Padme. He was not in a position to "own" being the bad guy just yet--he only joined the Dark Side because he was so desperate to save Padme's life and he wasn't enjoying his "initiation" at all.

I think he was a ****ing idiot to believe Palpatine in the first place but I don't think the regret or the tears were out of place.

Yes, Anakin in the prequels was very different from Vader in ANH and ESB but I never liked Vader in ANH or ESB, I thought his violent behavior was gratuitous. I'd rather see a character's motives for behaving badly than see him behaving badly just because he's the second most powerful man in the galaxy and he can. I was not a fan of the character until ROTJ.

19. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    My friends and I never saw those redeeming qualities in Anakin that were imposed in Return of the Jedi.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You'd have to be more specific.

What I saw in ROTJ was a man who loved his son enough to finally set aside the evil behavior/service to an evil man which had defined his life over the past 20 years, although he knew he would die by saving Luke.

I could see Anakin in the PT doing the same thing for someone he loved--in fact that was his intention in ROTS, although his methods were bass-ackwards and stupid.

Also I take into account that Anakin was twice as old in ROTJ. I am closer to his ROTJ age than his ROTS age and even under the best of circumstances, those 20 years change a person

21. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Personally I think Hayden did a great job as Anakin.

kainee and FRAGWAGON like this.
  22. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    Me to the best part is the fact that he didnt try to be vader too early those making stupid fanservice

Darth Raiden likes this.
  23. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Yeah! It's not as if Luke ever whined or cried is it? :oops:

24. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    OT quoque fallacy...[face_shame_on_you]

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012