main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Murglak Dany

Murglak Dany Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2013
    I, personally, loved Hayden as Anakin; his emotion and look captivated what Lucas was going for and I couldn't have thought of someone better to play the role. And despite him, maybe, seeming a bit jaded at times, I can't help but feel this was only due to George's diction. Hayden's an amazing actor, and an amazing Anakin- at that.

2. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Hayden is not a bad actor (he's good at shattered Glass) but his acting was very wooden but i blame more the dialogue he had to deliver

3. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013

I think he did a phenomenal job as Anakin, it was perfect to me. The issue I think people have with Hayden/Anakin is not with the actor or acting, but with the character. They're just not into his character or they can't understand why Anakin would sound emotionally unstable full with anger on mustafar.

Andy Wylde and kainee like this.
  4. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    The dude was charged with bringing Lucas' dialogue to life AND portraying the downfall of the most iconic character in the saga. It's a tall order. I think given the material he did as good a job as anyone could. Even Liam and Ewan struggled at times and we know they are pros! Chalk it up to Lucas and his subpar dialogue. A visionary, he was. A poet, he was not.

“I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Fett

5. Isabella Skywalker

Isabella Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2013
    I tought he did a great job in ROTS, but the problem wasn't him in the PT, it was the screenplay.
    In my opinion he's underated.

Poor Greedo and kainee like this.
  6. Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2013
    Maybe I am... From a certain point of view :)

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You are not Freeman!!!

8. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I think he did a pretty good job. I especially liked his body language, very reminiscent of Darth Vader in parts of ROTS, particularly when he was speaking with Palpatine.

Andy Wylde, kainee and minnishe like this.
  9. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
  10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He somehow combined a hint of Jake's innocence with a large portion of JEJ speaking cadence.

Brilliant lad. For some reason I like those scenes best that everyone hates. I love how he delivers in the fireplace scene, for instance.

He's Anakin.

11. Darthsith500

Darthsith500 Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2013
    He did good in ROTS. In AOTC he was pretty bad though.

12. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013
    Hayden get's too much hate. He's a decent actor. No Ewan or Ian. But decent. I've liked him in other films I've seen him in.

People are blaming him for what is really GL's fault. Bad writing. Bad directing. Too much green-screen acting. etc.

What's bad is Hayden hadn't made a name for himself before this..so he's suffered for it.

It reminds me of Jeremy Irons. He's a good actor. But watch his performance in the first Dungeons and Dragons movie (if you can stomach it) he's TERRIBLE in it. Why? the directors and script.

Same with Hayden. Again. He's not a great actor. But he's decent. And certainly undeserving of the hate he get's if you actually take 2 seconds to think about the dialogue and director he had.

vinsanity, Yanksfan and kainee like this.
  13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Lol. Hayden Christensen is not a good actor. He's average at best. If he's such a good actor, then why isn't he in any lead roles lately, or movies for that matter? Sure the dialogue was goofy, and he was poorly directed at times, but it wouldn't made a difference, because he was all wrong for the part, anyway.

14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think I'm a minority, but I always thought Hayden's AOTC performance was the stronger of the two.

15. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Either he or the director were horrible. It doesn't matter any longer

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I think Hayden's a good actor. Certainly not in the same league as Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, or Ian McDiarmid, but definitely on the same level as Mark Hamill and Natalie Portman. In large part, I think the difficulties people have with Anakin's character have more to do with the way he was written than how Hayden portrays him. There's a lot of things that Hayden does that I feel build upon the work of other actors -- how he incorporates small details from Jake Lloyd's performance (the look he gives Mace Windu for example) and James Earl Jones cadence with Prowse's posture and hand gestures.

Anakin was a difficult character to play, but I think Hayden gave it his all and gave George what he wanted -- which is all that I feel can reasonably be asked of him.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I like Hayden as Anakin, but some of his dialogue wasn't the best...but judging on voice alone Matt Lanter is a great Anakin and would of thought it interesting to have him in the films instead of Hayden.

18. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    In a word, he was awful.

No charisma, he brought nothing to the role. I couldn't care less when he started moaning about hating the Jedi. A good actor would have made his downfall moving.

19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I just watched it. Funny thing, I found it very moving, especially because of his acting and presence!

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    He wasn't bad in AOTC, but he was horrible in ROTS. I go back and forth on who to blame: Lucas's directing? or Hayden's acting?

21. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    add Lucas's writing on that

Carbon1985 likes this.
  22. TOPGUNxICEMAN

TOPGUNxICEMAN Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2013
    in attack of the clones i feel like he tried to hard but in ROTS he did a great job.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    They could have put Anakin in the suit during TPM and people would still say Hayden was terrible.;)

:p

Andy Wylde and kainee like this.
  24. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I guess I go with what everyone is saying... Yes... Yes he did

25. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    He hasn't been in many movies... save for Jumper and Shattered Glass maybe... because Star Wars ruined his career. See: Carrie Fisher. Nobody can see him as anything other than that Emo kid from Star Wars.