main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    There are some dull moments in AOTC but other than that he was great. He nailed ep. 3 imo.

Alienware likes this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If the intent was an unlikable, annoying, uncharismatic knob end who had to be portrayed as woodenly as possible? Then he definitely nailed it :)

Ditolus likes this.
  3. KakaraB

KakaraB Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2015
    Look at his face in that picture. He's the best looking man I ever saw.
    [​IMG]

Ewan McGregor wasn't that handsome. He was handsome, for sure, but not beautiful like Anakin Skywalker. He was too much of a bearded manly man. Not the smooth and delicate features, no facial hair, and long brown hair of Hayden Christensen, that Adonis, that Greek God.[/quote]

But he was in episode 1 TPM, without Hayden being in there made him most handsome especially him being without the bearded manly man he was in ll and lll,Lol. But I think even Hayden wasn't delivering the best dialogue that was expected still he was meant for this role and only he could play such a character. I can't imagine how much it must have meant to him to have the role as Anakin/Darth Vader. His personality and admirable good looks resemble what kind of character Anakin is. A confused and troubled character. With experience, Hayden will improve, but he just wasn't that experienced at the time. If Rachel Bilson would just stop using him and Hayden would just come to his senses that she's not the only person for him, he could have a chance of meeting someone that can bring him back to life, cause he looks miserable with her. There's a reason why some celeb relationships don't work. Instead of getting hooked up with someone he met on a movie set, he should go out looking for other people even if they're regular people.

Hayden does have a soft look in his features and a masculine look too. If you look at his astrological chart, His sign(sun sign) is an Aries. He is a Scorpio moon but no one knows his rising sign cause theres no record of his time of birth. He makes his presence known even if he means to be a private guy which is understandable. I wish I new him personally but I don't so astrology offers me the best information I can get on him personally.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He did an outstanding job! When I see him in Star Wars, I see Anakin, not an actor.

xezene and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  5. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I think he did ok he needed to show anger in his role Lucas made him every distant at times I can see him making a force ghost appearance in at least the second or third movie.

6. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i didnt like hayden's performance at all. and i dont think most star wars fans did either. it was poor casting. i also think george's directing is hugely responsible for hayden's wooden performance.

Jcuk likes this.
  7. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I thought Hayden did a fine job. He is Anakin Skywalker to me!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    I was disappointed in AotC but after seeing RotS it made much more sense to mje and I can appreciate the performance in the two films as a whole. I actually think his performance in AotC was very good. Undoubtedly some of the dialogue, particularly in AotC was a problem and doesn't help.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Hayden did a decent job with less than stellar material. I can't help but love the little stutter he does when he says in Ep III "I..I could overthrow him"

AshiusX likes this.
  10. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, I always thought Hayden's body language and facial expressions were great - some of the dialogue, not so much, but overall IMO he did a good job of conveying the character's emotions and inner conflict.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    You know what happens when you assume things, don't you? ;)
    Seriously, I think we should keep in mind that a large part of the fanbase isn't even old enough to acknowledge the fact that their favorite heroes are portrayed by actors.

I agree with you that the director is ultimately responsible for the artistic quality of the movie. IMO, Lucas did a great job, though.

12. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I thought overall he did a good job. I liked that in AOTC he was a bit on the bratty side and didn't abide by the rules. It shows he wasn't being completely indoctrinated by the Jedi way or its order. Then in ROTS I really felt that he was going thru some real pain an internal struggle with himself. He really brought that out in the movie pretty well. I like watching his progression from the first episode to the third one.

13. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    He seems to be somewhat underrated as an actor. But he's had some great roles and Anakin was one of them. Was any actor with as large a role perfect? Nah, but in their weakest moments, all were adequate to me, including Hayden.

14. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    McGregor and McDiarmid also had a ton of ****/ham material to work on and were "directed" but the same director and they MADE it work (minus Ewan in Episode 1, he wasn't good in that one). So none of the excuses fly for Christensen and Portman, they just delivered bad performances

Jcuk likes this.
  15. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I don't think excuses are necessary - I genuinely did like his performance, most of the time.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Honestly, after Ian McDiarmid's Palpatine, I thought Hayden had the best performance in the entire saga. He had remarkable facial emoting. His eyes could convey all his inward nuances- I often see him transmitting mixed signals non-verbally. And he just gives a general rare impression of genuineness often not seen in actors. For all the talk of Anakin being miscast, I think another actor would have made the character more one-dimensional. How many would have rightly combined isolation, pride, humility, regret, wistfulness and foredoom? The right dosage of arrogance and insecurity? The 'larger than life' quality mixed with melancholy? If not for Hayden's acting I fear we would have been left with Sociopath Jr, Han Solo 2 or James Bond 2. No offense to any of those characters, but what was required to play Anakin was a larger pool of emotional complexes.

xezene, Samnz, skygawker and 4 others like this.
  17. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    natalie portman said after star wars she was afraid she'd never get another job.

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Now, THERE's a post I can get behind!!! ^:)^

Preach it, Empress!!! :cool:

L110 and Empress Shatterpoint like this.
  19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Honestly, I found him pretty wooden in AOTC, though I thought he improved a little in ROTS. Then again, I did't find the script to be very good as it made him completely unlikable for me, at least in AOTC. I have't seen much of his other work so I can't judge his acting in those, but just watching the PT I found him to be a rather mediocre actor, I don't hate the guy as I'm sure with the right script he could turn in a decent performance.

Jcuk likes this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think Hayden Christensen is a good actor. I've seen him in a few other movies, such as Shattered Glass. He was given terrible dialogue and other material in Episode II. He wasn't given the best in Episode III, but he made it work. I think he would have preferred to work with a better written version of Anakin like we saw in The Clone Wars. In fact, I've heard that he suggested that Anakin be rewritten to be more of a character in the films, but Lucas apparently shot his ideas down. I don't blame Hayden for the way Anakin is written. He did the best he could.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    I think he is a very good actor.
    He has good facial expressions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    who can even look like this
    [​IMG]

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I think Hayden did a great job as Anakin, his acting wasn't the strongest it could be, but no actor could pull off some of those terribly written lines.

In my head, Anakin is Hayden and vice versa. I remember hearing a rumour that Leo had wanted to do episode II and III, and I'm sure he's thankful now that he didn't touch the PT, but I don't even think Leo could've delivered some of that dialogue well....and that's talking about one of the best actors in the business.

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Absolutely. I don't think Leo would have enjoyed it.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Who's to say Hayden did either?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I truly don't think any of the actors did, I can't see it being overly enjoyable to work solely with green screens and bad writing. Plus GL being over your shoulder telling you you're delivery of lines like "I wish I could wish away my feelings" is all off. I think Hayden appreciated what SW did for him, and who wouldn't want to play a young Darth Vader as a man in Hollywood....but even the most professional of actors have their limits. Ewan, who's such an amazing and well established actor, was amazing as Obi Wan...but I'm sure he's glad it's over and done with, and would probably cringe being known solely as "Obi Wan" when he has such a great resume of movies under his belt. I feel like Hayden would feel the same, and his portfolio is only 1/6 as impressive as Ewans.