main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ewan seems fine with the idea of doing Obi again.

2. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    Many other would've done it right. ALl of the scenes that required these emotions were portrayed extremly basically and amateurish by Christensen. Insecurity scene - make a teenage virgin face. Pride - hold the air in chest, pump pumpu pump! Regret - look down. It's like watching a bad play and it's puzzling to me, considering that both Christensen and Portman delivered many decent/natural performances in plenty other movies, even if not genious/remarkable.

3. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Haruss

I disagree. I've watched many movies from many genres and time periods, and frankly I just find myself being unconvinced by most modern performances. I think SW generally had a strong cast(hopefully they can continue that good trend in the ST), and for me Hayden completely nailed down what Anakin was supposed to be like. I saw nuances in his performance, not basic executions. I liked him in shattered Glass too, though that's the only other movie from him I've seen. I find your evaluation of Hayden's performance(virgin face, hold the air in chest, etc) very amusing though. :p

Portman, on the other hand, had a more inconsistent performance in the trilogy, though. I thought she had a very 'plastic' performance in TPM-I didn't buy her scenes at all, yet I found she had high highs and down downs in AOTC, and performed the best in ROTS. Character wise, the only movie I've appreciated her in was AOTC though.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  4. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, some of them certainly did, like Liam Neeson or Christopher Lee confirmed:

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-liam-neeson-wants-to-return-as-qui-gon-107494863626.html

http://www.gamesradar.com/the-total-film-interview-christopher-lee/

Hayden was also at George's wedding last summer, so it doesn't appear that he feels much resentment towards Lucas(film). I also have the feeling that actors nowadays, in general, have a bit less trouble with being associated with certain roles. It's not that bad, after all, if you're a good actor.

Fortunately for her, that "fear" didn't remotely become reality and her Star Wars "networking" might even have given her some work afterwards. I highly doubt, for example, that she (as an American actress) would have been cast for the very "British" V for Vendetta if that film's director (James McTeigue) hadn't known her from being George Lucas' assistant on AOTC.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Hayden is cute, lots of women find him attractive, he was tasked to combine the Jake lloyd Anakin with the James Earl Jones Vader and he only had 2 movies to do it. To go from the Yippie Anakin to the Vader who chocks Imperial officers would take a lot of cutting and pasting. Prior to the PT the only image we had of Anakin Skywalker was Luke removing his helmet and mask in ROTJ. I say he did an OK job. Just as ok as Harrison Ford playing Han.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think that the badly written nature of the Prequels and their reception was not good for most of the actors who appeared in those movies. Only Natalie Portman and Liam Neeson haven't been limited in their later careers by them. Nothing against Ewan McGregor, Hayden, or anyone else, but they may feel constricted. Probably Hayden more so than Ewan.

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    He had his moments, I felt he was much better in RoTS than in AoTC. He had the most difficult role and the fact that he was acting with someone who had no chemistry with him makes it even harder. Add poorly written scripts, etc. and there you go.

While I dislike many things about the way Anakin/Vader was handled in the prequels, Hayden has his moments and when he has those moments i fully believe he is who he is.