main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did I somehow see the wrong version of AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by kenoidewi, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    DarthHomer mentioned that nobody is a "good guy" in the Matrix (which, believe it or not, I've never seen). That is one of my problems with AOTC. With the exception of Obi-Wan, there aren't any good guys in AOTC. This especially takes all the emotion out of the big battle. I just don't care who wins. Should I root for Palpatine's Army Number One, or should I root for Palpatine's Army Number Two? Meh. They're all bad guys.

Compare this with the clean-cut line in the OT between the good Rebellion and the evil Empire.

2. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    I think I see where this post is going. You all seem to be running in circles with your arguments. It has been mentioned that at the end, its just bad guys fighting bad guys. Isn't that a twist? Isn't that just what some of you have been talking about in the Matrix?

Actually, I think that raises quite big moral questions, because whoever really wins the battle, innocents end up dying. That is one of the biggest issues facing our world today. Superpowers duke it out, and the little man gets squashed in the meantime. The PT is just as chock full of thoughtful parts, you just have to think about it for a while.

Most of you old posters have grown up thinking about the OT, so you have figured out most of the subliminal images and issues in it. Now, we can take the time and see the same thing in the PT. I'm sure if the series' release had been reversed, you would think that the OT had become a cartoon. Just because you are not enchanted by the story as you were as a child doesn't mean that the deeper meaning isn't there. I'm sure the younger generation of viewers has no problem with the series, and most of them have seen the OT as well. Truly remarkable the mind of a child is...

3. JohnRavenwood

JohnRavenwood Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I have to admit that I agree with alot of what Kenoid wrote. Aside from special effects, I felt TPM was better than AOTC in alot of ways. TPM had it's problems, but it still felt like SW... a lesser SW than the OT, but SW none the less. Excluding maybe 5 scenes, AOTC had none of that feeling. AOTC reminded of another movie sequel/prequel from my childhood that had me walking out of the theater saying "what the ****." If anyone reading this was a kid in the 80's, they probably can remember how loved the original Highlander movie was. Long before the series or sequels it had a huge cult following--it still does. However, when Highlander II came out it had none of the magic that the first film had. The story line was lame and written poorly... it felt like my little brother could have came up with the ideas for the film. Half way through the flick people were walking out saying "this sucks, how ****ing stupid." I don't think AOTC was nearly as bad as that, but it did remind me of that huge disappointment that Highlander II was to me. AOtc was a fun flick for a matinee, but it was disappointing as a SW movie. Oh yeah, I wish GL hadn't driven the point home in ANH SE with the Han greedo scene. I liked it much better with Han firing first.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh yeah, I wish GL hadn't driven the point home in ANH SE with the Han greedo scene. I liked it much better with Han firing first.

Yea well, whatcha gonna do? It's all about political correctness...which I HATE. That same sensibility got Spielberg to replace guns with walkie-talkies in the ET Special Edition [face_plain]

5. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Well I saw AOTC 5 times and have loved it at each and every viewing. My favorite though was when I took my two grandsons, age 7 and 9, they laughed at all the 3PO and R2 parts and loved all the action. They reminded me of their father and his brother when they saw their first Star Wars movie.
    I have very eclectic taste in movies, from the rediculous to the sophisticated. I have only one criteria, I must like at least one character, one person or character has to take me through this land of make believe and make me care what happens to them.
    I know it is not much to ask but you would be surprised at how many popular films had no one I could relate to or care about.
    AOTC had Obi Wan, my favorite Star Wars character from ANH. My favorite Star Wars line is one of Obi's," Mos Eisley spaceport you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany--we must be cautious".
    I still love that line. I still love Obi Wan.

6. Elenctic

Elenctic Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    in response to the person who said that AOTC and TPM were cartoonish: its hard to see how the betrayal and fall of democracy is in anyway childish. Here you have a story of a militant threat (along with its necessary economics) that threatens an entire civilization and in response to that threat the democracy willing slides into power fanatical fascism. The stark differences between good and evil in the OT are only made more tragic in the PT - for evil is portrayed in complex ways -what was once good is made evil and what was once thought evil is now good. GL has nicely added a new dimension and certainly some poetic and tragic sensibilities to the entire saga - I for one say kudos.

7. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    It is amazing how this thread is continually unburied from way down in the depths of JC heck... I mean like page 10 of this forum and greater. ;)

8. padwanborderdispute

padwanborderdispute Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2002
    I have read almost all your postings and have to say that deep down I have to agree with a little piece of what each of you had to say. I think that it all comes down to the fact that some are going to love, like or even adore the movie and some are going to hate, dislike or even dispise the movie completely. We are all different and have our own opinions. I for one loved the movie and found it far better than TPM and ROTJ. Remember each to his/her own and keep expressing those opinions (as long as they do not degrade anyone elses).
    Am I the only one that feels that way?

9. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    padwanborderdispute

Nope, I feel that way also. While I don't agree with many of the things that detractors of the film say on this forum I will admit that many of the things they have problems with don't sit well with me either. I can see where both sides are coming from however I tend to align myself with the pro-AOTC group on more issues than I do with the anti-AOTC group.

10. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    why would any fan of star wars settle for a sub-par movie? its not like lucas doesnt have the power to get the best possible writers, actors, directors that he can.

seems like the only thing he bothers to put any effort into getting good people for is special effects.

if you settle for mediocre, you are only hurting yourself.

well guess what? i wont settle for mediocre and george lucas can kiss my big white hiney with his huge ego and inability to see that he is ruining something great he created that hoards of people used to love.

ill wait for episode III to come out on video if i even bother to go see it at all.

the rest of you can settle for less.

11. EmperorHasNoClones

EmperorHasNoClones Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    DrEvazan

Well I am glad he didn't get the best possible actors. If any of the principle charecters had been played by really famous actors, I would have been upset. I see Star Wars to get lost in another galaxy. The last thing I need are reminders that im am watching actors following a script. Anonymous faces are good things.

As for you accusations of mediocrity, I would have to remind you that if AOTC was made as an A movie, it certainly would not have fit in with the rest of the Star Wars films. There is a certain degree of continuity GL needs to maintain.

12. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    I hate the fact that C-3PO and R2-D2 are in AOTC. It is just so gratuitous.

They don't do anything, anything at all in the film. They just hang around.

Oh, wait. R2 does do one thing. He saves Padme in that video game part. But that doesn't count because the entire droid foundry thing should have been slashed right out of the final cut and left lying on the cutting-room floor. When Anakin and Padme went through the door, instead of their little jaunt in the foundry they should have been immediately captured by Jango Fett.

13. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Guy, I find it very interesting after reading through this thread that most of the TPM bashers have remained AOTC bashers.

I find it wierd because EVERY person I know that was dissapointed by TPM, loved AOTC.

And EVERY single person I know (even though some liked TPM) still thought AOTC was WAY better.

One hardcore fan I know, who openly HATES TPM with a passion, said that he loves AOTC and finds it unfathomable how any fan of the OT could dislike AOTC.

I just find it odd, how some of you seem to just want to hate these movies instead of giving them a chance. The guy I know who hates TPM and loves AOTC, I have alot of respect for because he is open minded. You people are obviously not. Grow up.

14. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    HAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Like you have never seen Christoper Lee, Samuel L. Jackson or Jimmy Smits before.

LMAO!!!!!

15. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I felt the same way, the 1st hour and a half was a total waste of time, if i wanted to see some political thriller/titanic movie i would of seen one. Wanted too see a Sw movie and felt disapointed. ep 3 will be awesome that i do know.

16. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    so tired of the "the OT was bad so the PT has to be bad too" argument.

the OT wasnt bad... it has faults but they are monor compared to the faults in the PT. the PT suffers from major story, character, style and acting faults. IMO.

there is a big difference between films that are slightly flawed in ways that dont affect the enjoyment of the film as a whole, and major flaws that take away from the emotional impact and overall quality of a film.

i find it hard to understand why people cant see the difference between the OT and the PT.

there is hokey acting, or light acting in the OT... but its certainly not bad acting.

but the acting in the PT is just that, BAD. its bad within the context of the films as opposed to the acting in the OT which fits the context of the films. its a different type of acting... in the OT its "gee whiz and wow" type of preformances and in the PT its stiff lifeless and heartless performances. IMO

why cant you see the difference?

17. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Because IMO there is none! Because you are looking at the OT through rose-colored glasses. Not good acting in the OT is labelled as "hokey", which is supposed to be a good thing, while not good acting in the PT is labelled as "bad". The dialog may have decreased your enjoyment, but it sure didn't decrease mine.

Why do you insist that everyone subscribe to your opinion? It is your opinion that the acting was bad. It is my opinion that the acting was perfectly fine. The OT had some real clunkers of acting. It has some scenes that are bad. Same with the PT. By saying comments such as "why can't you see the difference?" you assume that there is a difference. I saw no difference. In other words, to me, there was no difference. Got that? No difference at all.

Get one thing straight: Your opinion is not gospel. If you think the PT is bad, or the acting is bad, that does not mean that it really is. That only means that you think it is. Got it? I sure hope so.

18. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    To be honest I'm liking the prequels more.

*shrugs*

19. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Because IMO there is none! Because you are looking at the OT through rose-colored glasses.

This argument might make sense if none of us had been able to see the OT since its theatrical release. Thanks to video and cable TV however, we are able to constantly review and analyze the OT. The faults (and strengths) in both trilogies are as clear as day. It's not like people are relying on a hazy memory of something they've seen one time over 25 years ago.

Just like Hitler and the Nazis, let any thread on AOTC board go on for long enough, and eventually someone will mention "rose-colored glasses". Lame.

20. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    Lord_Hydronium
    Get one thing straight: Your opinion is not gospel. If you think the PT is good, or the acting is good, that does not mean that it really is. That only means that you think it is. Got it? I sure hope so.

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I clearly stated that all of my statements were opinion. Notice the word opinion in bold in the context of "It is my opinion that the acting was perfectly fine." Stressing the concept that what I state is an opinion, not fact, not gospel, not the ultimate truth. You, on the other hand, were stating your opinion as fact.

And tell me, do you really think that you're unbiased towards the OT? Come on! You label bad acting as "hokey and light", as if "hokey" was a good thing. Yet acting in the PT that you don't like you call "bad". Do you think you just might be biased?

22. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    A big problem with AOTC is that it is kind of "blah". It isn't a terrible film, but neither is it anything to write home about. It certainly never gave me any feelings of "Star Wars magic".

I think CGI killed this one.

23. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    Hmm.. I happen to like TPM better than AOTC. I am one of the few who actually saw PT first before OT, and I can say..if OT released today, everyone will bashed it MORE than AOTC.

24. Darth_Hater

Darth_Hater Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    Just the fact that some of you PT haters, admit that the OT has flaws, makes your arguments a mute point.

How can you say a certain scene in AOTC makes you cringe and then not mention the "space slug" scene in TESB.

How can you say the acting is horrible in the PT and not mention lines like Han's"well one things for sure, we're all gonna be a lot thinner." and Lukes reaction to Vader,"Noooo Noo."

Don't tell me Star Wars hasn't always been about special effects. It has.

Yes there is a great story there, which by the way could not survive without any one of the 6 parts, but who watches Star Wars only for the character development?

Don't tell me that when you were a kid in 1977, or whenevere you first saw it, you came out of the theater talking about the scenes where you can see the eagerness in Luke's eyes.

You were goin' crazy about how cool the Death Star scene was. And you all know it.

Spare me the "George has lost it" routine.

YOU HAVE LOST IT. And it's your own fault.

EDIT: HAPPY FREAKING FOURTH ! ! !

25. Benwan

Benwan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2001
    AOTC is a great movie. It is just as good as ESB and better than ANH, ROTJ, and TPM. My brother who is only a casual Star Wars fan has seen it twice in theaters and loves it. So have all of my other friends and family that have seen it.

I think it's time to give all of the bashing and unwarrented criticism a break. It's really getting old.

A satisfied fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.