main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did I somehow see the wrong version of AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by kenoidewi, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
  2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    See, I cannot ever consider the AFI as the only one that counts, because to begin with, we have only North Americans for the most part making that list.

And second, do not be fooled. Made up 0f 1,500 members? Well, over half those members are actors. Tom Cruise and Travolta and Mel Gibson are some of the actors that are part of the AFI panel. Trust me, their opinions are not gold.

And the rest... well. I don't think so. Because it is an eternal cycle. Our previous generation for instance. The films they grew up with all the way into the 70's got forwned upon and bashed by the older generation. And now that generation is frowning upon and bashing the films we are growing up with and seeing to this day. It is a never ending cycle. I can tell you, that when we are in our 50's, we will be frowning upon the films our kids and grandkids grow up with and watch.

It's not fair, but what can we do.

And opinions are opinions. I, as well as you I imagine, worked hard for my degree and to gather knowledge. As I am sure you did, right?

Trust me, their opinions are not more vaild than ours. Ours is just as valid.

Opinions are just that. Opinions.

But I respect your opinion if you feel that way.

But hey, I agree with you on Touch of Evil. It is better than CK. CK is overrated. I still marvel at the technical aspects of that film and how it was shot. But that to me, is just one part. To me, the heart of the film is the script. And I have to really love the story if it sets out to provide us with something grand. As a writer at heart, we are underrated. I guess that is why it pisses me off to no end when I see a film review going on and on and on on how the director is a genius for giving us such a rich and wonderful and complex story. And I am like, "Thank the writer! Without him, you have no movie nor the thinks you liked! You would just have a beautifuly shot film!"

Sure, SW scripts are simple. But it sets out to do just that. Lucas is not trying to write 'Spartacus". It is a fun film. That is it. Sure, I can see hidden meanings in the film, but that is because he uses an age old story arc to tell his story. But in the core, it is just a fun fantasy movie.

I just go to have a good time when I see a SW movie and Lucas gave me that. At least to me.

So, it doesn't bother me if someone else did not like it. I know that I got my 8 bucks worth.

Anyway.

Shindler's List is your top choice for best film of all time?

Mine is a tie between "Vertigo" and "The Last Temptation of Christ".

Hmmm, I would add "Rushmore" or "Royal Tenenbaums" to number 2, but I still cannot decide which one of the two like better,

I wasn't to crazy about Shindler's List. I mean, I am just sick of watching films and shows on WW2 and the Holocaust. And I'm a Jew. I'm still tired of them. I just thought that Steven inserted some moments of pretension in the film. I mean, I am not saying it was a bad movie. But to me, I could take it or leave it.

My favorite war films are "Paths of Glory", "Thin Red Line" and "Glory".

Plus, I think Steven's "Empire of the Sun" is his true underrated classic.

Anyway. Star Wars is not on my list. Why? Because I put them on another level.

It is like, I have my list and then another list just for the SW films. Because they are my favorites and it would be unfair of me to throw them into the list.

And although I love them all, I rank them all on that list:

1 - ANH/TPM
    2 - AOTC
    3 - ROTJ
    4 - ESB (yup, dead last. Loved it. But WAY overrated and too much sci-fi, too little fantasy)

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    My favorite film is the 1977 Star Wars. It is pure joy, magic, and perfection.

4. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    why do people forget that these comments they make are the same ones made about the originals, yet the prequel bashers love the originals for the SAME reasons they hate the prequels....face it, they all have the same bad dialogue, actually, you know what IT'S NOT BAD....you want bad, watch a straight to video movie or a cinemax flick, JESUS CHRIST....there's far, far worse out there....saying this is bad is just ignorant...and judgemental....

5. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Rushmore Rules!!!

*cough*

I just wanted to say that.
    One of the best comedies out there.

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I agree. Rushmore is a great film. And so is The Royal T's.

But not as good as Rushmore. Don' think Owen Wilson and Wes Anderson can top themselves with that one.

7. SithLord328

SithLord328 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    You know what, YOU SUCK!!!! This movie ruled!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.