main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did ILM work on Spaceballs?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by CBright7831, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I was listening to the Mel Brooks commentary on the Spaceballs DVD, and he said ILM worked on the movie, but I was looking through ILM's services, and I didn't see it.

Did they work on it?

http://www.ilm.com/ilm_services.html

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes, they did work on it, though the bulk of the work was done by Apogee. ILM created the dancing Alien chestburster near the end of the film. It was a quick job.

Their list is not complete. I have a much better one, which I check with them and I help them correct theirs. For example, not long ago they were not listing Gangs of New York as well. Maybe time to give em a shout.

3. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Speaking of which, who worked on the speciall effects for the Alien movies?

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Different teams and facilities worked on the 4 films. In general terms:

Makeup FX:

Alien: Carlo rambaldi and H.R. Giger.
    Aliens: Stan Winston Studio.
    Alien 3: Amalgamated Dynamics (Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr., which worked for Winston previously).
    Alien Resurrection: Amalgamated Dynamics.

Special and Visual Effects:

Alien: Brian Johnson and Nick Allder (they headede the UK miniature unit).
    Aliens: Fantasy II (the Skotaks, Gateway, most dropship shots, atmosphere processor, lots of other stuff), Arkadon (motion control), LA Effects Group (opticals), Peerless (motion control and opticals), John Richardson and Brian Johnson.
    Alien 3: Boss Film (Richard Edlund, most VFX work in the film), George Gibbs
    Alien Resurrection: Blue Sky Studios/VIFX (Richard Hollander, CG aliens and effects), Duboi (Pitof, many composites, ship interiors and some CG and ship effects), Hunter Gratzner (Matthew Gratzner, miniatures), Joe Viskocil.

For a detailed account I would recommend Cinefex's coverage. They have a special book (published by Titan) covering the first 3 films, while the issue for the fourth film is also available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.