main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did it happen or was it just a dream?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JabbasBounty, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbasBounty

JabbasBounty Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2006
    Why does Luke say to R2-D2 in Empire Strikes back, that he had a memory of being on the planet Dagobah or that maybe he has seen it in a dream? Did Lucas cut a scene out of ROTS, which has to do with Luke going to Dagobah when he was a new born? :confused:

2. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    what luke could feel was yodas presance, it wasnt dagobath

if you rember yoda was there when he was born

welcome to the boards

3. JabbasBounty

JabbasBounty Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks for your answer, I was always wondering about that.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Agreed. He sensed Yoda's presence, though of course he was unaware of ever having been around Yoda before.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    See the thing about that is he also should have sensed a familiar presence in the droids on Tatooine. They were on Polis Massa as well.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    They weren't living beings capable of using the Force.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was a scene cut where we see Yoda arrive on Dagobah, but it via the escape pod that he used on Kashyyyk. Obi-wan probably used Grievous' ship to go to Tatooine and then sold it, so he could have the funds to set up shop on Tatooine. Luke's memory of Dagobah stems from seeing it in a vision, while he was unconcsious on Hoth. That's why it seems like it's out of a dream to him. The something familiar is probably Yoda. He wouldn't recognize the droids since Jedi and Sith do not sense inorganic life.

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    You have a point there Mousely. You know me trying to find every nook and cranny to discuss.

9. Kryptonian_Sith

Kryptonian_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    But a Jedi and/or Sith would be able to sense the energy powering the droids. So a Force sensitive would be able to sense droids if they "looked" in the right place.

On a different note, I seem to recall reading somewhere that if a Jedi/Sith got really emotional they would leave an imprint of emotions on what ever they were in contact with at the time. Example: Anakin's rage and anger when he felt betrayed on Mustafar would leave an impression on his lightsaber. Twenty years later Luke picks up the lightsaber and suddenly senses great pain and anger as he holds it. I know, I know; that never happened, but it was an example. Anyhow, is the above text correct? Can Force impressions be left on inanimate objects?

10. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Im not shure about that. Perhaps with the cave on Dagobah there was someone with great anger causing its darkside presence so maybe the same could happen with Anakin's sword, but Luke didn't feel anything so I doubt it.

And yes, he sensed Yoda. I like this idea and it makes sense to me so thats what I say to explain it.

11. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Yes, he was sensing Yoda.

On the "not being able to sense inorganic things". I don't think that is true. Didn't Yoda say the Force flows through EVERYTHING?

12. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    "I feel like..."
    "Like I'm being watched!"

"This one, a long time have I watched."

13. OLDirtyJedi

OLDirtyJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    Yoda's presence and nothing more really, other than perhaps the strong presence of the Force associated with Yoda, so essentially just Yoda.

14. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

When he first met R2D2 and C3PO, he had no training in the force whatsoever. Take Luke at the time he met the droids and drop him on Degobah at that moment. He would have been screaming "This isn't the Tachi Station!" By ESB he had been trained to search his feelings and be more aware of his surroundings. He was able to sense....something "Old friends long gone."

Carnage

15. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Plus, even if the droids have some kind of energy signature that a Jedi can sense, it would seem to me that Yoda's would be incredibly higher and easier to detect.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nothing has ever been said in the films or the books about Force users sensing anything from droids. Nothing about sensing power from them or the Force surrounding them. It appears to only be from all living and organic things.

The old friends long gone, which looks like it refers to seeing and hearing the dead like Obi-wan or Qui-gon. When Luke first arrives, he says it's like a dream. Well, we know Jedi can see things in dreams that are really visions. The something familiar might still refer to his vision or it might refer to Yoda. It's never clearly stated.

In the eu, a Force user can leave some type of imprint. But not with objects in particular. Luke can sense Obi-wan's presense in his old hovel. He can feel the good that used to emenate (sp) from the Jedi Master. Same with Yoda's old home on Dagobah. Leia could sense where Palpatine died on Endor and where Anakin went ballistic on the Tusken Raiders. As well as the pain and suffering from those who had been tortured in that one Tusken building. Luke could, as shown in the film, sense the evil in the tree cave. But it is the eu that states that a Dark Jedi Master had died there fighting Yoda.

The films don't really use this at all. Just the eu.

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Luke said "There's something familiar about this place..." That would mean Dagobah, not Yoda. I don't believe he was sensing Yoda. I don't believe this line was meant to be taken literally.

18. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    What's a Dagobath?

Welcome to the boards.

19. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    That's a great insight. I had always thought that the familiarity was probably Yoda but only because of the force. It never dawned on me about Yoda being there when he was born. Great insight.

20. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    Yoda went there after the twins were born and taught Obi to talk to QIU-Gon. To see a dream I could believe. He was like his father!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.