main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Jimmy's death effect anyone emotionally? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by andur_black, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andur_black

andur_black Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2001
    Personally I've always felt connected to Jimmy. We are the same age brown hair, blue eyes, look the same (on the Conquest cover). And he's just cool!!! When they killed him I didn't throw my book across the room, I was affected like a close friend had just died. A lump rose in my throat and my eyes teared up. I don't cry over anything... ever but this almost made me. The same thing happened when Leia gave her speech. I just want to know if I'm alone in how I was affected.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    obviously yes

3. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Yup. Nearly cried. It made my crush think I'm very sensitive because we were reading the books together.

4. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Okay, maybe I'll admit I my eyes started to get watery, but not when he died. It happened when I read Leia's rection.

5. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    You look like a cross between a dog and a camel?

6. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
  7. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    somewhat but i realize he is a character in a book.

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Oh yeah, I got really into the battle scene, and then when I read that last sentence 'By then Anakin was gone,' I just sat there, reading it over and over. I'm still in shock. I'll admit, I got a little teary eyed, too. Especially when Luke found out, and told them Anakin died for a purpose. I mean, I've been reading these books for five years, it's hard not to show some emotion when one of the characters dies. I'm about ready to tear Jaina's throat out for dishonoring Anakin's memory like she did.

9. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I was saddened. But I realize that this is a story in which the broad structural framework for the series has been laid out well in advance. I'm only here for the ride. This may sound trite, but like any ride, there will be ups and downs.

10. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    This is strange. I'm actually talking about my feelings with other men.

I need to go find a woman and say I cried when Anakin died.

Bye.

11. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    My reaction: I put the book down for about 30 seconds and said "Wow". That is a big reaction for me.

12. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I know what you mean, it really hit hard.

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The big emotional scene in the book for me was when Borsk shot down Shesh, stood up to Nom Anor, and back the Jedi. That was the put the book down for a moment and mutter goddamn part for me.

14. andur_black

andur_black Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2001
    Yeah my g/f had the same response when she saw me show a little emotion.

Who says men can't discuss our emotions. We have them just like women do... just not as openly.

15. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    The girl I was reading the book said "He does have balls somewhere in that fur..."

Sorry if that's inappropriate language.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    His death scene didn't affect me very much (since i knew it was coming and had heard part of the audio book sample) but Leia and Han's reaction brought me to tears.

17. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    I'm okay with talking about my emotions with guys. Sometimes it's nice. I was just surprised we were all being so insightful. It's kind of wierding me out.

Still, I think women are better at it. That's the reason why I like them so much. Aong other things. ;)

18. X-AverySolo

X-AverySolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    You guys are not alone!! i almost bawled my eyes out and broke into sobs. that would have been a bad thing, too, because i stayed up all night reading and it was, like, 4:00am. but yes, it affected me deeply and i became depressed for a short while.

19. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    I know how that is. I faked sick the next day just to finish the book. It wasn't hard; I had stayed up all night and looked very poorly, so my mom bought it.

20. BaronReno

BaronReno Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    The big emotional scene for me was the death of Borsk Fey'lya. I thought Anakin's death was very well done, but I'll be darned if I didn't just feel bummed when I knew he was going to kick the bucket. Sucks, too, because once Tsavong Lah and Viqi were talking about killing him, I just had this bad feeling he was gonna die. And then that feeling dragged on for like 500 more pages...........and then finally he died. Very sad, very tense. He shall be missed...

21. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Yes, I got a little misty. I thought it was about as sad as Phanan's death, but not quite as sad as when Face read Phanan's letter.

22. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    I knew about Anakin's death, so I didn't cry when he died but I cried when I read Leia's reaction. I put the book down and sat there sniffling to myself, and my brother walks in and stares at me, then the book, then and goes tells my dad never to buy me a star wars book again. That made me laugh, but I started crying again...I get too attached to book characters. It was like my best friend died or something. I was depressed ever since I found out he'd be killed, but now I'm hoping he'll be back and stuff so I feel better :) If he's not...then...damnit.

23. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    ummm...nope, not at all.

24. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    "I thought it was about as sad as Phanan's death, but not quite as sad as when Face read Phanan's letter."

well said. I agree. Only two SW moments have moved me to the point of feeling quite sympathetic, morose, and emotionally empty (This is an extreme reaction for me considering Jimmy was a ficitonal character.)

1) Ton Phanan's death, the description of it and Face describing his emotions as he watched that artificial eye stare in 'child-like wonder at the stars' and the subsequent letter reading.

2) the heroic last stand of Anakin Solo as he died with harness on his back in Battel proud, solemn yet accepting that his flame could burn only so bright for so long, and again the subsequent reaction of Leia and Han was grisly, painful and a really dark moment of SW. Poor Leia, poor Han.

but crying? not quite...even in the state of hollow regret that i experienced, i still had enough perspective to realise it wasn't the end of the world.

25. Zyra

Zyra Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2001
    I wasn't exactly emotional when he died, but I did feel a little sad. I didn't know before, though I knew someone was going to die. For some reason I assumed it would be Jacen, especially since Anakin has been SO important lately. Then when he got injured I was like, "uh oh." It was just really sad having him deteriorate like that and just keep getting worse. And I agree obviously Han and Leia's reactions were very sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.