main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Kylo Ren actually consider leaving with Han Solo?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luke Skyjogger, Jan 2, 2016.

?

Did Kylo Ren really consider leaving the dark side and reuniting with Han Solo?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke Skyjogger

Luke Skyjogger Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2016
    I have heard some say Kylo Ren had planned all along to stab Han without any doubts in the death scene on the bridge. However, I believe Kylo Ren legitimately considers turning to the light and leaving Starkiller Base with Han. His father's lecture and warning that Snoke is only using him really gets through to Kylo, and you can see the struggle in his expression. Then, Kylo, a skilled agent of the dark side, offers up his lightsaber to the enemy!

Why doesn't Kylo turn? Important symbolism occurs just after Kylo offers up his lightsaber when all of the energy of the sun is completely consumed and the light vanishes. With the sudden absence of the light Kylo seems to remember his mission to be a master of the dark side, and he tightens his grip on the lightsaber. As Han tries to take it from him, Kylo only struggles and in the darkness finally makes the consequential decision. As Kylo makes the fatal blow he thanks Han for allowing him to master the dark side, but the stab appears reluctant. He knows he has to commit the act, but he doesn't make an angry blow like that on Lor San Tekka. He simply ignites the saber, conflicted.

I do not believe it was a coincidence that the light of the sun went out just before Kylo's decision. Is that what it took to remind him of his place in the dark side? Do you believe Kylo gave great consideration to turn to the light side in that scene and reunite with Han?

Oakessteve likes this.
  2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Kylo felt his choice was forced on him, much like Vader did. Vader learned his lesson too late... Hopefully his grandson won't make the same mistake.

3. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Think he was planning on killing Han from the start, but his choice to follow through was made 'easier' when the literal light from the sun was extinguished.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  4. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    This is what happened... He actually needed help in the physical act of doing it...

one of the best things they did at least how i interpreted it.... Kylo asks him something like "help me, i dont know if i have the strength to do what i must" and he hands out his saber. Han thinks this is a gester for him to give up the saber so he takes it in his hand and it holds there for a moment and when Han turns it toward himself and tries to pull it away Kylo holds it there and Han finally realizes that he was asking him to help him physically do it by pointing the saber at himself and thats when Kylo simply pushes the button and says "Thank you"

StarKiller81 likes this.
  5. MaggieSolo

MaggieSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2009
    I don't think Kylo was tempted to turn to the light side in that moment, but I do believe it was a difficult thing to do, to kill his own father. He hesitates because he doesn't want to do it, and he still struggles with the light side but I believe the most he would have done is left Han Solo alive and walked away, still dark side struggling against light. Not changing sides. The darkness may well have reminded him of his task though.

6. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, I think Kylo considered it. And I also think if it had been Leia on that bridge and not Han, he would have come home.

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I doubt it, Kylo was responsible for just genociding untold numbers of lifeforms with the Starkiller just prior to his old man bumping into him. Why would he care or be brought back with just seeing the face of the man he clearly despised.

8. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

I think he struggled with it, as it shows that he wasn't happy with what he did after Han had fallen into the abyss.

Funny you should mention the genocide -- I thought there was a part in the movie which showed Kylo wasn't fully on board with this. When Hux was telling Snoke that the "weapon was ready" and that "it was time to use it", Kylo's head makes a turn to look at him, almost as if wanting to disagree. Before Nux departs after getting the green light from Snoke the two look at each other again as if Hux was signaling Kylo "I got my way and you didn't".

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    One has to wonder if the situation would have played out the same if it was Leia that confronted him instead.

10. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Is it Kylo that kills his father or is it Ben that does it? He very pointedly drops the Kylo helmet with a loud clonk before killing Han. On the other hand maybe that's just part of the ruse, i e pretending that he is ready to come to the light side again (just like he pretends to be ready to hand over the light saber).

11. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I do think Kylo was conflicted on the bridge, and if he is eventually redeemed then more people will start to view this scene differently in retrospect. What matters for now though is that Kylo did have enough conviction to kill Han and that's what he did. I think we will see Kylo double down and seep farther and farther into darkness before he is eventually redeemed.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Discuss in the Han and/or Kylo thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.