main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Kylo Ren want to kill Rey?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Z.R., Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z.R.

Z.R. Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2017
    There's one thing I didn't get about this movie.
    Did he?
    Sorry if this topic already had been discussed, just refer me there.
    I didn't watch the end of the movie with whole attention, maybe that's why I still don't have the answer.

He attacks the Rebel base and says that nobody should be taken as a captive, but killed instead. Did he think she was there, or he somehow knew that she wasn't? Then he orders to shoot down the Millenium Falcon(this moment I missed), right? Does he think she's there? If he is not sure that she isn't there, it seems like he wants to kill her(or at least doesn't care). At the last moment with the dice he doesn't seem to be suprised (or angry that he didn't actually kill her, or happy that it actually didn't work out) when he sees her. And he also said to Luke that he'll destroy her.
    In "The Force Awakens" he seems not to want to kill her.
    So what do you think, did he, or not, or he just doesn't care?
    What do you think? If you can bring proofs why yes, or why not, would be great.
    Maybe I missed some other important details?
    I would like to discuss this aspect - yes or no?

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yes. He got mad that she didn't want to join him. He wants to destroy everything, including her. He says as much to Luke.

Shadao likes this.
  3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    "I'll destroy her. And you. And all of it."

themoth, Christopher Blair and Shadao like this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    He offered her the chance to join him on The Supremacy. To which she declined.
    And also, he learned that his Force connection with her had been architected by Snoke all along.
    He no longer cares. As far as he’s concerned, she can perish along with the rest of them

themoth, Shadao and 11-4D like this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Apparently nobody saw the end of the film where clearly he was reaching out to her yet again and was sad she is so angry with him. Then again there is no longer thinking in these movies nor do any previous episode matter anymore therefore I fully expect Kylo to be a mix of The Joker meets King Henry VIII in Episode IX which done right could be very interesting.

nonesuch, Shadao and yanote like this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    he was planning on partnering up with her (and probably killing Snoke) since their meeting in Takodana. Rey refused him once in the heat of battle, so he let it slide. He gave her a more cool headed chance to choose after the Throne Room fight, and she refused again. After two shots I don't think he'll give her a third. One of Snoke's lessons to Kylo was that sentimentality is what killed Darth Vader. He won't get sentimental over Rey like Vader did to Luke.

Jcuk and 11-4D like this.
  7. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I don't think so. I think she is more upset with him than the contrary.

Luke02 likes this.
  8. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I think we will see him go all out in rage on her in 9, even though he won't stand a chance against her just like the other two times.

9. Z.R.

Z.R. Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2017
    I thought about it, too. Could be. But to me episods 7 and 8 are a bit contradicting each other. And about beeing sentimental, I think he was crying when trying to convince her to join him(after Snoke's death). Wasn't he, or he's just a great actor?

10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    After she didn't accept his offer on the Supermacy, Yes.
    I hope the symbolic closing of the Millenium Falcon doors meet the same for any further romance; his mortality will be in her hands in IX.

wobbits likes this.
  11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I certainly think the way TLJ ended means there’ll be no Reylo rubbish in IX.
    And also no chance of a redemption arc for Kylo. He’s gone..

wobbits and 11-4D like this.
  12. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Luke showing up really pushed his buttons. Which is why I'm surprised that people have made the "Ghost Luke will be trolling Kylo in IX prediction". That would be the stupidest thing for Luke to do, since it just pushes him to be more angry and evil.

Ultimately, he just goes back to being a lonely and conflicted man in the end. However, since he is positioned as the top villain, something else is gonna have to force him to snap at some point once again in IX.
    "No one's ever really gone"

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    His expression during their final force bond is anything but "I don't care."

And the idea of that IX being about Rey just needing to find the chance to kill him, well she already refused to in the throne room. That's a massive plot hole if she just wants to end him in IX.

Yora, nonesuch and Varouneire like this.
  14. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    He may want to but can’t because they are each other’s “balance” in strength and she brings the good out of him. They’re turning into two lovers on opposing factions who only understand each other.

Sit back fellas, Romeo and Juliet in space is playing out in front of us.

Earth Jedi, Yora and nonesuch like this.
  15. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Bringing him back(Kylo), which I have thought from the release of tfa, would also undermine lukes character(again)

16. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't see how his redemption or lack thereof is directly related to Luke's character. Luke said it's out of his hands.

Yora likes this.
  17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Not really it isn’t. Rey mistakenly believes she can turn Ben back to the light.
    And narratively that is HER failure in The Last Jedi.
    IF come IX we discover Kylo still harbours a belief that he can convince Rey to join him?
    I’ll genuinely sit there with a ‘going through the motions’ mindset for the rest of it.
    Emotionally numb..

18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    She had the chance to kill him after he showed his ambitions, yet she didn't.

The plot of IX isn't going to be the straightforward kill or be killed plot. Star Wars has never been that boring.

Ruffmeian, Yora, nonesuch and 3 others like this.
  19. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    How is he not connected to Kylos turn. So now they make him arrogant too? Because by that logic Luke enters the picture because he believes there's no way Kylo can be saved and if he thinks it's impossible it must mean no one else can think its possible therefore Kylo must be destroyed?

20. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    He wants to want to.

Ruffmeian, Earth Jedi, Yora and 5 others like this.
  21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I didn't say he's not connected to Kylo's turn. Luke's view is he is unable to help Kylo come back because Kylo blames him for his fall. That doesn't mean Kylo is incapable of coming back for others, like Leia or Rey, for example.

Yora likes this.
  22. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Exactly, which would make Luke look stupid insinuating that destroying him was the only way. Maybe he should have thought things through a little bit more lol.

23. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    But Luke does admit he was wrong there. Yoda taught him the future is always in motion. But Luke freaked out and despaired of Ben before the future had solidified. That was a mistake.

Yora likes this.
  24. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Which makes the choice all the more baffling because we see him go against Yoda in empire in order to save his friends, and again in jedi when he confronts Vader. Luke reaches a point where Yoda could be learning from him. His understanding of the force eclipses his master at this point.

25. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    This is the best way to put it.

Just like he wants to embrace the dark side. But he's weak. He can't fully commit to being evil. Which is why he's reckless and unpredictable. He's so insecure about his not being evil that he will do extra evil stuff to prove his evilness.

Yora and rorow1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.