main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

did leia forgive vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sable de luz, Dec 26, 2015.

?

did leia forgive her father?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  1. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    To much vader in him I recall her saying.

Its clear Luke did forgive his father. But Leia was tortoured by him, knew far more about what he did as an enemy pre BY, and watch how he gave a s... about tarkin laying to her, and whipping alderaan (whit her whole family)

The vader reference its enough for me, but Im not sure if it was her or hans. anyway she did not say no.

2. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    I voted no, but I think Leia has mixed feelings regarding her father. I wonder how Ben's turn to the Darkside affected Leia's view on Anakin.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    She still believes there is good in Ben, so I would answer yes she forgave Vader. She had healed that wound and embraced the Force. She believes Ben can be still be saved like Vader(with as a Sith Lord was more evil than Ben). Plus she blames Snoke for corrupting him, so she's like attributing Ben's evil actions to him rather than her son. Motherly love for their son stuff. But with Han dead, killed by Kylo Ren, its unclear. Maybe Kylo being killed is the only way to save Ben, or maybe Leia felt Rey not delivering the death blow to her son as Jedi-like and still a chance for him to come back to the light/good side..

4. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Her father? Or Vader? I'm sure she forgave her father but not Vader.
    The movies appear to differentiate other wise she would have said too much of my father in him instead of Vader.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    What does that have to do with The Force Awakens?

6. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    quoting the force awakens lines

asking at the force awakens point

having a son that worships vader

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  7. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    What is there to discuss though?

You can't extrapolate much from one line, did she forgive her father? Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Blackstone

Blackstone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Oh I think she forgave her father Anakin Skywalker, but not his other personality, Darth Vader.

Deliveranze likes this.
  9. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I honestly don't think we've seen enough of Leia's reaction to learning Anakin/Vader was her father to come to any sort of conclusion. The one line in TFA acknowledges their link, and by referring to him as "Vader" may also acknowledge that she might feel he had two sides to him - one good and one bad - but otherwise...

jakobitis89 likes this.
  10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    She may have come to understand why Anakin made the choices he did, might have forgiven him for that, but she'll never forgive Vader. It wouldn't surprise me if she made the the names two distinctly different individuals. The Anakin that was her father vs. Vader, the monster that terrorized the galaxy for 24 years.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  11. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    a monster luke did not see.

and he tortoured her!!!

and held her while her whole planet was blown off, with his family

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't think she likes him, but I think she would recognize that he did do good in his final moments by killing Sheev and saving his son.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Wrong forum. Enjoy your new home. Best of luck to you.

14. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Came to terms is probably the more accurate description. She probably came to understand why he did all the things he did but never truly forgave him totally. Though I am sure her views will be made clear in films to come.

15. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Surely not, she watched him and felt him doing far to many terrible things, and never had the father daughter moment like luke. There is nothing for her to base her forgiveness on other than lukes account of events, which she might not even believe..

16. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Unless he showed up to her in ghostly form to explain himself (which I know happened in a book that is now irrelevant), I doubt she has the warm-fuzzies toward him. She may have forgiven him as a moral act (even though she didn't train as a Jedi, it seems she believes in the Force and holds to the light side of it, which would indicate that she would have to let go of anger/bitterness/hatred toward her father). It's not clear how much she knows about Anakin and what lead to his downfall -even though part of his motivation, if you think about it, was to protect her - but my take is that Anakin Skywalker doesn't mean that much to her. He didn't raise her, she didn't know him, and all he ever did to her when they did interact was torture or hurt her. Personally I would like to see some interaction between the two characters in upcoming films or literature because it's an interesting dynamic.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    han said that not leia.

18. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I don't think anyone but Luke forgave Vader. No one else ever even saw his good side. I'm actually wondering if this will be a topic in the new Sequel Trilogy. Luke is the only one that actually witnessed what happened at the end between Vader and the Emperor. The entire rest of the galaxy probably only knows him as the Empire's chief agent of terror.

Imagine if let's say the entire world knew your father as Hitler's top lieutenant and chief agent of terror/genocide/etc and you were the only person on the planet who knew that your father actually killed Hitler at the end.

DaddlerTheDalek and jakobitis89 like this.
  19. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

I feel like Luke, through their connection in the force, would be able to share his experience with Leia. I'm not saying she would forgive him completely, but I feel like there would be some healing there.

20. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    I've always wondered this Aha

21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Just another reason to have The Chosen One come back. I would love a conversation between the two of them. [face_thinking]

AniLukeRey, Lulu Mars and MattOrgana like this.
  22. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I believe there is an EU book about this called Tatooine Ghost. I just purchased it not long ago and am highly interested in reading it. It has been very highly praised.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  23. sabbakk

sabbakk Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2014
    I would say that by TFA, having gone through losing her son to the dark side and finding that she still couldn't quite give up on him because she knew how and why that happened, Leia came to at least understand Anakin - after all, he was a prominent Jedi during the Clone Wars, and his goodness as such is undeniable. If she didn't before, after Ben turned she must have recognized that there must have been more to Anakin's fall than just that he was born evil. I'm sure she's reconciled with what her father was. Not sure it counts as forgiveness for what he'd done.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not so much that she forgives him - but that she's taking the first steps that way - and is now prepared to have kids.

IamZam likes this.
  25. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yeah, that seems to be the premise of the book. I know she discovers some things that challenge her notion of Vader. As far as I know, that entails some debate over forgiveness. Hopefully you didn't spoil it too much (please). I am looking forward to reading it soon!