main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

did leia forgive vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sable de luz, Dec 26, 2015.

?

did leia forgive her father?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Knowing that plot point doesn't really matter too much to the book's story as a whole - at least, if you're a long standing EU fan who already knows about Leia's descendents from books written earlier.

The important part is how Leia gets from stage A to stage B mentally.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    She named her son after Anakin's father; Ben's dark side was refereed to as "a bit Vader in him" - Leia clearly understood the difference between Anakin and Darth Vader. So yeah, I'm guessing she forgave her father.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    We will find out I hope. That's one thing I didn't like about the old EU, and one of the few things I disagree with MattOrgana about :p . I feel that it would be severely out of character for Leia to not forgive Anakin. She was willing to forgive SPOILER in TFA, why not Anakin too?

Deliveranze and MattOrgana like this.
  4. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015

You know, I was thinking about it this week and now I see things differently.

Now I think Ben's turn and her unconditional love for her son turn made Leia see that the Dark Side can seduce even good people.

I really believe Leia has come to terms with the idea that her father Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight and hero of the Clone Wars, a man who gave his life to save Luke and kill the Emperor (and who brought balance to the Force and ultimately helped save the galaxy) and Darth Vader, the monster, the machine, are not the same person (at least from a certain point view).

And the new canon must show a conversation between Leia and her father's Force ghost. Maybe Anakin comforting his daughter after Ben's turn.

5. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    If you watch her last two scenes with Han it's almost a mirror reverse of her scenes with Luke when he want off to try and redeem Vader. She is practically begging him to bring their son back, and Han is the one that points out, (prior to her asking) that there was too much Vader in him. She is convinced that there is still light in him, and he does appear conflicted at times. Han doesn't see it, though he wants to. He goes because she begged him to, and he loves his son. One could (and I'm sure people have) write books on this family dynamic alone.

As a mother and wife, she now understands more than ever, unconditional love of someone even when they've done horrible things. How that plays out now that her son has killed her husband, remains to be seen. But I can't wait to see how they do it.

I haven't read Tatootine Ghost for years, but if I remember right, she finds out more about Anakin and how he was a slave kid taken from his mother. Han seems to relate to this and is able to see where the kid was coming from and how hard it must have been for him. As a troubled kid, who made some poor, albeit non evil choices himself, he was able to see Anakin's POV.

I don't think she forgave Vader as much as she came to see Vader and Anakin as two different people, much the way she see's Ben and Kylo. She's forgiven Anakin, after all he could have killed Luke, but didn't. Instead he died to save his son, and took out Emperor Palpatine.

I think she has a better understanding, and has let her anger go. She knows what can happen when anger consumes one. However not that Kylo has killed Han we may see some anger yet, possibly even a skirting on the darkside as she tries to reconcile the actions and consequences of that day.

AniLukeRey and MattOrgana like this.
  6. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Yes, she probably forgave Anakin and recognized there was good in him, but I believe she'll always see Bail and Breha Organa as her true parents. She probably sees herself more as an Organa than as a Skywalker.

themoth, Allana_Rey and IamZam like this.
  7. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I have no idea, but I would think she would have to consider it since Ben is dark and she still sees the good in him. I would actually LOVE it if we see her interact with force ghost Anakin in one of these upcoming films, maybe for the first time??

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we won't know until it's addressed in films or other media.

9. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I think that much like Ben and Kylo she's come to see Anakin and Vader as two different people

Posted by HAL 9000 via Tapatalk

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    It took her a while, but she did forgive him. According to the EU, she read Shmi's diaries and found out what Anakin was like prior to his fall.

Kenneth Morgan and Deliveranze like this.
  11. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Please let this happen.

This particular relationship has always fascinated me.

AniLukeRey and Allana_Rey like this.
  12. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    She didn't really have a family-like relationship with Vader at any point so it's hard to say if she would have forgiven someone she barely knew or not.

Personally, I'm not sure if I would ever have gotten over my home planet and my adoptive family blowing up.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  13. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    if anyone could not forgive Vader, it should be Luke as he was left in the middle of nowhere to be raised. Leia was raised in riches and royalty so I dont think she ever held hostility towards her father.... About Alderaan, I'd be surprised if she could forgive that act fully though

14. AniLukeRey

Feb 6, 2016
    Was Vader actually in charge of Alderaan though? I felt like it was Tarkin who was in charge of that whole thing.

15. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I remember reading somewhere in the old EU, Leia learned to forgive Vader after reading her grandmother's diary.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm sure she forgave. I mean she did name her second son Anakin 4 crying out loud in Legends!

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think in both Legends and Canon she does indeed forgive Anakin. In Bloodline it is not explicility said but she is aware of hia redemption but does not understand how it could happen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    this is what the new books deal with. she believes what luke says but doesn't understand it.

themoth, AniLukeRey and Allana_Rey like this.
  19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    So the nucanon is turning Leia into a hardened unforgivable type?

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Perhaps she doesn't really feel a need to forgive him, since she never knew him as a father. I mean, since she grew up in a loving home, maybe she never felt like she missed her biological parents.
    Anyhow, I hope EpVIII or EpIX at least drops a hint regarding her feelings towards Anakin (and Padmé).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I doubt we'll ever hear the name Padmé again

22. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    In Bloodlines, I feel she is ambivalent to him at best. She considers Bail Organa to be her true father. She hated Vader and from what I could tell still hates "Vader."
    But it does seem that at the end she has something of an epiphany and realizes that his fall to the dark side might have been a little more complicated that just being greedy or lusting for power. As far as Padme, she seems very proud of that side of her heritage, inasmuch as she knows about it. But anyway there was no real resolution as far as Leia actively forgiving Anakin for what he did as Darth Vader. So I think that material could yet be explored, in future films or literature.

23. AniLukeRey

Feb 6, 2016
    More on Bloodline (which is a great read) and apparently a part of the new canon.

Skip if you don't want spoilers!!!!!

So 6 years before TFA only Leia, Luke, and Han know that Vader is Luke and Leia's father, and that he turned good at the end. Leia knows this because Luke tells her, and Luke gets very blissful when he speaks about Anakin. But Leia suffers from PTSD due to Vader...only Vader. Not Tarkin or Palpatine. I think that is quite significant, and my assumption is its precisely because Vader is her father that she has such a strong reaction to him over the other two.

BUT as the novel progresses, so does Leia's thoughts about him. In the beginning, she can't even think of him, she states that Bail is her only father. Later on, when it is revealed to the Senate who she is, she starts to acknowledge him as her father, and by the end of the novel she starts to realize that he could have had good intentions but fallen into evil.

So its a very clear progression in her thoughts about Anakin/Vader, and I think they are leading up to a confrontation between her and his ghost (she doesn't seem to know he is a ghost) at some point.

24. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    For me, I don't think there is a difference between Anakin and Vader for Leia. I don't think she ever forgave Vader, but merely grew to accept the fact that Vader was her father and the only thing Anakin means to her is that was Vader's former name. I think for Leia, she sees Anakin as her father in name only. To her Bail is her father as he was the one who raised her. With that dynamic, I cannot see her forgiving Vader for his acts. Without there being any sort of familial relationship between her and Vader, she would have no reason to be forgiving in any manner, unlike Luke who saw the human side of Vader, and who brought about the redemption of Anakin.

25. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Ok so Leia was tortured 4 hours but Luke lost a hand & took a few bumps from daddy also. So 1 forgives &the other can't.

Sad.

P. S. It was Tarkin the blew Alderaan 2 dust. Not Vader.