main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Lucas betray Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jumpman, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i still think natalie portman was a good idea its just the lame character she had to play, you could say the same thing for hayden

2. light-

light- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    PADME: Have you ever considered that we may be on the wrong side?

ANAKIN: What do you mean?

PADME: What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?

ANAKIN: I don't believe that. And you're sounding like a Separatist!

PADME: Anakin, this war represents a failure to listen . . . Now, you're closer to the Chancellor than anyone. Please, please ask him to stop the fighting and let diplomacy resume.

;) pretty much explains her political side

I think that both Hayden and Natalie were the perfect people to do Anakin and Padme. Also I didn't think they could've gotten to do better characters for the film.

3. Senator_Lorena

Senator_Lorena Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    Lucas could have afforded to include a little more of Padme's political side. Deleting all of the scenes related to the beginnings of the rebellion was unfortunate. I understand he did not want to bog down the movie, but I still question his treatment of Padme's character.

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    lame...the saga..is about..him...:rolleyes:

5. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    I think he should have made her stronger.
    She kicked a$$ in AotC, but she died because she "lost the will to live".

Yes, Lucas did betray my role model.

6. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    your bio does the talking for you on this subject[face_mischief]

7. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    Thank you sithrules70, I am glad you agree

8. tinkerbelle

tinkerbelle Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    Padme was great in Ep 1 & 2.
    It was Lucas's intention from the very beginning that Padme would die.

If you recall however, Leia tells Luke she does remember a little about her mother. In the original SW novel, Leia recalls hiding in a trunk with her mother.

I wish Padme had lived a little longer and become a leader in the rebellion.

9. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I always have to get involved when it has to do with Padme in ROTS. Did Lucas betray her character, I dont see how he could betray her when he wroter her that way. I do think the portrayal of Anakin and Padme portrays Luke and Leia; these two were smart, dedicated, and learned from their mistakes. Anakin and Padme give up to easily and fall for the stupidest traps. No one expects Padme to be running around like she was in 1*2 being physical does not necessarily portray you as strong. Leia was a strong character because of her personality not just because she could hit any target with any weapon. It is Padme's personality that makes her weak not her lack of physical activity. She is too wrapped up in Anakin and doesnt care about anything else; and she does not care about her family because if she did she wouldnt have abandoned her children. Its obvious Lucas tried to copy Shakespeare and Greek tragedies but he failed miserably. Padme's death can symbolize the death of the republic BUT SHE STILL HAS TO HAVE AN ACTUAL REASON FOR DYING!!!!! She just keels over for no reason, and the broken heart excuse doesnt work because people die of broken hearts after time passes and not just 5minutes. Leia's identity did get overshadowed by Luke's in ROTJ but she still had a purpose, she may have been overshadowed but she didnt loose herself. Leia can sit back and do nothing and still portray power; Padme cant. I dont know who Leia gets her strength from unless nurture really does trump nature.
    I only have two problems with the Padme character, when she was sitting in her room doing absolutely nothing but watching her nails waiting for Anakin and her death which makes absolutely no sense. Everything else was fine IMO, I felt the one scene with her in the senate was enough of the political and it showed how she felt about what was happening. There was no reason for Padme to die and it totally screws up Leia's memories. And I dont understand why people insist GL didnt want Anakin to be a murderer when HE IS A MURDERER!!!! WHERE YOU BLINKING WHEN HE KILLED THOSE CHILDREN?!?! Who's fault is it exactly that Padme "lost the will to live" cause it sure wasn't jar jars. Anakin did kill her as Obi would say "from a certain point of view". GL should have been a man and taken it where he obviously wanted it to go and had him choke her, cause her to go into premature labor and die in child birth.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think it was a case of being a man. I think it's what Lucas wanted to do. He wanted to have this romantic, tragic angle. Rather just cold brutality.

11. DarkerDonnieDarko

DarkerDonnieDarko Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    I say yes. All the females were weak in the Saga.

12. LavaCake

LavaCake Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    I thought Padme was supposed to be written as pretty naive and easily manipulated. She's certainly not someone with a whole lot of value after she betrays Anakin either.

13. DarkerDonnieDarko

DarkerDonnieDarko Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    Agreed. She should have took the generous offer of power Anakin gave her.

14. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    yep,she should have forgotten of the "democarcy and the right thing" BS and just rule the galaxy

15. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    They could have hired someone who might actually know how to pretend getting choked out.

That being said, who cares about her political side. She's hardly the focus of the movie. Worry about more important things like why didn't Obi-Wan have a green saber!!!!

16. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    I never saw the Queens of Naboo (as small as their roles were in AOTC and ROTS) as weak. Nor did I see the bounty hunter in AOTC (Zam Wessell) as weak. And although they cut out Mon Mothma in ROTS, I found her quite the opposite of "weak".

As for the whole saga: Leia isn't weak. Nor is Mon Mothma in ROTJ. Sure, this is from my own personal opinion, but:

My opinion is that your argument is weak, dude.

17. s0Lstar18

s0Lstar18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2005
    Maybe the fact that she's pregnant in ROTS plays a part in her tenderness???[face_whistling] [face_love] ;) [face_worried]

18. R2_Did_Who

R2_Did_Who Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    ^^^^

Excuses, excuses

19. Bripe_Klmun

Bripe_Klmun Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    As adorable as I think Nat is, her character in the films didn't do it for me story-wise - but that's okay, because I hardly feel that Padmé is even close to being the focal point of them. She's Luke and Leia's mom...and that's it.

She didn't start a rebellion. She didn't blow up a planet. She didn't step on an Ewok. She bumped uglies with a young Jedi and had twins. Then she died. End of story.

20. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
  21. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    I don't see a betrayal of Padme, more like an inability to fully integrate a real female character into a boys-club universe. Characters in other sci-fi universes(Aeryn Sun in Farscape comes to mind)were able to play many different roles. Padme had one real role in the PT - give birth to Luke and Leia. Anything else was interesting, but incidental

22. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Two words: Pregnancy hormones

23. BareBodkin

BareBodkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    I agree. For me that scenario would've been just as tragic as dying from a broken heart and what's more- it would've been believable.

24. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Her dying for no reason really pisses me off. She should have been poisoned early on in the movie by Nute Gunray, and nothing could stop it, or something like that. It would make his desperation more human. He KNOWS she's dying, and not just havingbad visions.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's more tragic that Anakin's efforts to hold on to people, results in his destroying the very thing that he covets. It's even ironic when Leia says something along these lines.

Leia: "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

The more he tries hold onto Padme, the more he breaks her heart and contributes to her death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.