main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Lucas change the focus of the Saga to make the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by 2sunsbetterthan1, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZodVertigo

ZodVertigo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Can't we just say the saga is about the Skywalker family as a whole and be done with this argument? Still though, Anakin does appear before Luke in A New Hope, even though I believe that was the only movie where Luke was the central character. Each movie from that point on seems to focas more and more on Anakin.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Now that you mention it, that's true actually. ANH focuses solely on introducing Luke and the other new heroes, while TESB ties the fates of Luke and Vader together. ROTJ is all about their relationship.

Relationships - they are relative
    /LM

3. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Simply because Lucas says the films are about Anakin now, doesn't mean they magically become about him. As it is, one could see the Prequels as being about Luke as well, in that this is the story that leads up to the main trilogy, this leads up to the story of Luke Skywalker, in that it explains how Luke got to be where he is. That certainly seems to be the feel the Prequels have, where they're trying to lead up to the story of Luke Skywalker.

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Simply because Lucas says the films are about Anakin now, doesn't mean they magically become about him.

Yes it does, as far as Lucas is concerned, and no offense he really isnt concerned about you or what you or anyone else says.

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    That's cool, I don't really care what he has to say either. ;)

6. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    I care what he says, that's why I spend my time on SW websites ;) I think I need a job [face_beatup]

7. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    But where did I say anything about what Lucas says? He could be saying that the saga is about R2D2 (which he has, several times) and it wouldn't affect my point.

8. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    It doesn't change what I said though; the films were made to revolve around Luke Skywalker, to tell his story. The Prequels even seem to reflect this approach.

9. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The original film obviously was made that way. But when "Episode IV" was added, that implied that there were going to be 3 films leading up to it, which were clearly going to be about Obi Wan, Vader and Luke's father (whether or not they were the same person)- not Luke. When that change happened, the focus of the saga could no longer be Luke. (Although obviously the focus of the original film and original trilogy was.) From then on, it was about how Darth Vader fell to the Dark Side, and what happened when Luke set out to be a Jedi like his father. So Lucas did change the focus of the saga to make the prequels, but he did it 20 years before Phantom Menace when he made his first post-release change to the original Star Wars. (Which I would guess was probably at around the same time he decided Vader was going to be Luke's father.)

If he'd made the 9 film saga which Kurtz mentions in Skywalking, where Luke confronts Vader at the end of Episode VI then goes on alone, Leia leaves to become queen of what's left of her people and the third trilogy is all about Luke defeating the Emperor, then the story of the saga would have been bigger than "just" Anakin's story. As it is, the central thread of 5 of the 6 films are about Anakin; 3 of them involve Luke. The story truly starts with Anakin meeting Qui Gon, and ends with Anakin throwing the Emperor down the shaft.

I don't see how anyone could look at the PT with an open mind and seriously say "it's all about one of the babies at the end of ROTS" though. It's like looking at the OT and saying "it's about Wicket."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.