main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Lucas go too far in Revenge of the Sith?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Really, every single one of the tribe was guilty? What due process and trial did the Tuskens have?

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'd say that Anakin was justified in killing all of the Tusken men, it's something that most people would do in his situation. But it's clear even in the film that killing the women and children was going too far. Still it shows just how far Anakin was willing to go when someone he loved was hurt or in danger, and it foreshadows his slaughter of the younglings in ROTS.

3. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I completely disagree, especially since Anakin made no attempt to confirm facts or figure out who the perpetrator(s) were.

4. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Even if you could argue that the Tuskens deserved the death penalty, and that somehow the entire village was responsible for the crime - Anakin didn't kill them because it was "justified" or because he was trying to prevent them from doing future harm, he killed them because he was angry. Go ahead and make the distinction that the men deserved it but the women and children didn't, but he wasn't making that distinction. It wasn't about justice, it was about vengeance and taking out his grief and rage on whoever was nearest.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Little did Anakin know that the Tuskens were all dying of Tusk disease anyway.

6. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Why do you think that? We did see the bloody mother tied to the post and so what they had done to her was evident. Yet we are pretty quick to say he was wrong to go after the women and children. So maybe it is just the children in all of their innocence?

Yeah I meant the movie itself - they didn't show any blood, so killing them in GFFA lore meant the audiences did not have to see any blood shed - just kids laying around the room. We didn't see the Tusken women and children at all.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tusken woman:

[​IMG]

Tusken child:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure both were visible during the process of Anakin sneaking into the camp, as well as right after Anakin comes out of the tent. And he does say he killed the women and the children, after all.

We don't see them being struck down - but we can take Anakin at his word in this case.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Dude, granted there isn't a lot of literal "blood" shed in SW, because lightsabers are supposed to be so hot that they immediately close the wound. But we see plenty of death on-screen, to name a few: Qui-Gon, Maul, Jango Fett, plenty of Jedi on Geonosis, Order 66, Mace Windu, The Sep leaders. etc.

Andy Wylde and DARTHLINK like this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They are seen. It's rather quicken, but they are shown. We see an establishing exterior shot of the camp after Anakin starts losing it. Then a second, closer shot when we hear Anakin's saber ignite. The males go to attack Anakin, then he decapitates one as the scene shifts to Yoda's quarters.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008

I mean dead children and women laying around bloody. And the children in the temple were not bloody. So it spared the movie's rating and thus, did not go to far in that sense. In the sense of did Anakin go too far - well yeah, but you have to take into consideration that we may be guilty of giving more importance to the people he killed as opposed to his mother who they killed. The movie invited us to consider it in those terms by highlighting they had been killed by a Jedi against the Jedi Code. But rationally, both are atrocious. The Tuskens had to be stopped. Jail would have been better tho.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That is one of the main aspects I have concern over the lack of blood in relation to the amount of death/injury dealt. It badly skews the impact of war and related issues which has the potential to effect impressionable minds in a dangerous way. If young saw the effects better handled and more honestly I think they wouldn't be so eager to celebrate war as entertainment.

Lando Swarm and Valairy Scot like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I swear I saw these worn in Afghanistan. The SW version of Burkas.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    With all due respect, we already have plenty of movies that show us the horrors of war. Star Wars is purely for entertainment, but even then it's gracious enough to tell us what's right and what's wrong.

Though that doesn't seem to stop some from thinking mass murder is a-ok if the people in question are (1) not human and (2) hurt your loved ones in any way.

Andy Wylde, Cael-Fenton and Iron_lord like this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I hate to tell you, but kids can see horrific war elements and still think it's awesome. Seeing and knowing about the horrors of war won't stop it.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know lots of people who think Saving Private Ryan is an awesome action flick.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Darthlink: To each their own. I don't think war should be 'entertainment'.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well for sure no Star Wars movie will be pulling beheadings anytime soon. Certainly not of humans like Jango and Dooku.

Andy Wylde and Cael-Fenton like this.
  18. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Cushy, don't get me wrong, I think the acceptability of violence in pop culture is sick. But I do not think we should demand that all art reflect reality naturalistically. 'Sanitised' depictions are not the problem. The mainstreaming of violence and the escalating need to progressively 'top' it in order to get the same shock value, is the far bigger problem. If children are not taught that war is evil, they are not going to learn it from the telly, especially if violence becomes routine in what they see.

Conversely, if we expect a fantasy movie to depict war in the same way an historical drama or a documentary would, we risk a situation where people need moral judgments spoon-fed to them via the visual effects, musical cues, etc (or even by how physically good-looking or ugly the perpetrator of the violence is) - a culture of story-telling where the audience becomes mentally very passive. A culture where the audience comes to expect moral judgments to be made for them means they won't apply any critical thinking to a violent character's actions and motivations. If the character is portrayed sympathetically and we don't see their victims bleeding or crying and begging for their lives, why then there must be some justification! The victims must have deserved it! Or the murdering wasn't actually all that evil, because we don't see gore! (You can see this sort of thinking in the thread about Anakin's Tusken slaughter.)

An act of violence should be judged independently of how gory it is, or what visceral reaction the sight of its effects provokes. And drama/fiction should hone our abilities to judge fictitious violence even in the absence of the sensory stimuli reproducing the real thing. If art is to have a morally edifying purpose, surely it should include teaching us that certain acts are inherently evil regardless of whether we're shocked by their consequences. Our reactions to both movie gore and real violence are largely biological/hormonal, but we should not depend on our endocrine glands to help us decide what's right and wrong when we're confronted with a moral issue. That's why I think making fictional violence lurid or realistic rather than sanitised may actually do more harm than good in developing children's moral discernment.

19. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

There wouldn't really be that much blood in a galaxy where weapons have super heated plasma blades and fire energy bolts. There would be a lot of horrific burns and serious scarring of those that survived their wounds. And the smell of charred flesh would be thick over the battlefield. If we watched Star Wars with smellovision I bet everyone would run from the theater while puking down their shirts.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Can some mod please rename this thread to Did Lucas go too far in Revenge of the Sith?
    A part of me dies everytime I see this thread. :p
    Thanks. You can then also delete this post.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Done. Be warned, the JCF is not a bastion of fine grammar and spelling.

Alienware likes this.
  22. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Could of and should of gone further IMO darth vader should be shown slaughtering Jedis it's part of his mystique knowing he killed off the Jedis

23. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    What some people never take into account about the Tusken slaughter is that Cliegg Lars went out with a team of other moisture farmers to get Schmi back. Half or more of that team never came back. And Cliegg lost his leg as well. This isn't trying to justify killing the whole Tusken village, but it should be seen from both sides of the situation. And also remember that Anakin never had his emotions put in check. So he let his anger get the best of him. And he has Jedi powers on top of that. So figure a guy who's mother just died in his arms, has very little control of his emotions coupled with powerful abilities and what do you get? Exactly what happened in the film.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Killing the younglings was gratuitous and the result of vapid and uninspired storytelling. It's like they didn't have any good ideas for how a noble Jedi warrior could turn to the dark side, so they just had him kill orphans and kitty cats so everyone would feel outraged at the character. Instead, a lot of people felt abused by the filmmaker.

25. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Anakin was not justified in the slaughter of the Tuskens. He punished the entire tribe for what may have been a crime committed by a very few. This is exactly why the Jedi Order teaches the need for Jedi to separate themselves from emotion. Anakin uses his power to exact revenge, not justice.

This is why in most modern systems of justice the victims families are not allowed to sit in judgement, because the emotions that the family feels can result in miscarriages of justice.