Did Lucas write EpIII?

Discussion in 'Chicago, IL' started by Bosh_Talk, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Today on Stern they were talking about the rumors that this movie is going to be so awesome because Lucas didn't actually write it. (even rumors a fan ghost-wrote it)
    Depending on the quality, I'd say it'll be very possible Lucas had help. I highly doubt he'd have let anyone else "write it for him", and as Haz has indicated from the Trivia DVD spoilers...the old George is back in action with some of the dialogue.

He may very well have written it from beginning to end with no help. But, it does seem odd to me that there's been this heavy shift from the PG kiddie format with all the kiddy-poo crap...and both he and McCallum have been touting it as "The one fans have been waiting for."...as if almost admitting that I & II were some sort of experiment (or mistake).

If this movie is "the one fans have been waiting for", I'll be as thrilled to get it as P.O'd that we were gyped out of "The Trilogy fans have been waiting for," (for whatever reasons).

Bosh
    "Did Lucas write EP-IIV?"
  2. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been reading some amazing spoilers lately. The one I read, in Best Buy of all places, really makes me excited because it is almost shot for shot as I have always pictured this particular scene. Ohblee told me another spoiler shortly after, which got me even more excited.

I think in reality there is very little Lucas had to write for this final film. There are many things that have to happen. The Jedi have to die, Anakin turn into Vader, etc. Those aren't spoilers so don't complain. We've all seen the OT we already know how the story ends.

I think thanks to the OT Ep 3 pretty much wrote itself which is thankful because the less Lucas the better.

The more I read the more hopeful I am of this movie.
  3. The Lurker Force Ghost

star 4
    I feel like a while ago I read something about Lucas getting help either writing the script or directing or something.

After seeing the footage at C3 I have definately been pulled into the hype that ROTS will be the one we've all been waiting for and now have high hopes for this movie.

Now that I feel that I've been sufficiently spoiled for ROTS I sort of see what he was trying to do with TPM and AOTC but let's face it, he could have done it so much better. With Jar Jar I think that Lucas was just trying to be extremely innovative in creating an all CG character that could be identified with and fit in seemlessly with the other characters and it just didn't work out that way (unlike gollum in lotr imo). And then yes they tried to play it off with the whole Star Wars is for kids thing, which is now even more idiotic seeing that anyone who was 6 years old at the time won't even be able to see ROTS with its PG-13 rating.

Hopefully ROTS will make up for the shortcomings of TPM and AOTC.

//crosses fingers
  4. Fett402 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have read the "rumors" as well...but I agree that the the OT, TPM, and AOTC basically wrote the ROTS. So many things need to happen in this movie to tie up all the loose ends and everything else that we all wanted to know what he was originally talking about.

Do I believe he had help writing it...maybe. I'm sure he went to some people or even fans for that matter to see how certain things needed to be portrayed and how some things needed to happen to tie into the other 5 movies.

I am about 2/3rds of the way done with the book, I pray, that the movie is 10 times better than the book, because this book is amazing!!

WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 15 DAYS!!??!!
  5. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    At C3, Lucas said that Spielberg did some of the storyboarding, for what that's worth.

Also, that of his original material for the PT, TPM was 20%, AOTC was 20%, and ROTS contains 60% of the story.
  6. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    "WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 15 DAYS!!??!!"

You don't! Grab a P2P client and d/l the movie! You might end up with pr0n but even then its still a win! Unless its eel pr0n. Only Bosh likes that stuff.

Yeah I heard that about Spielberg and the 40-60 thing. I wonder how much of Spielberg's stuff is in the actual film?
  7. Fett402 Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's just not the the same to d/l the movie....the 1st time has to be special....or is that the excuse women dish out....

Seriously though...nothing beats the "big screen" so the 1st time has be seen there....and by "big screen" I mean movie theaters. :)
  8. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Its actually an excuse that Sithy dishes out then he never calls you back. Its really odd.
  9. RexGetz Jedi Knight

star 2
    I hope the rumors are true and GL had help writing it, cuz his writing SUX!.
  10. MrShiny Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, he did share credit on EpII with Jonathan Hales (who wrote for Young Indy). Wish Kasdan had written them. I recall Carrie Fisher saying she script doctored some things in I (mainly Amidala stuff).

11. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    i thought i read somewhere that hayden christenson confirmed that tom stoppard did work on the film...not sure how much, or even if that really happened. it's second hand at best, although stoppards name has come up a few times in relation to the script, so it's either a strong rumor or a fact that is very well stifled.

also, I believe Spielberg did some work on the animatics for just one or two sequences...maybe part of the big duel, and one other. can't remember which. i want to say it's in the making of book, which i won't read till after the movie, cause OMG SPOILRZX!!!!
  12. YodaDaMax Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll agree that Lucas's writing is ofton akward, and that it would probably make the movie better if he let somebody else share the responsibility. Funny thing is that when I read the novelization, I noticed that a lot of the lines in the trailers and tv spots showed up in a different form or not at all. It seems to me that regardless of who wrote the script, it's constantly changing, and so far, all the changes seem to be for the better.
  13. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    that's funny, yoda, i was just today noticing the opposite. :) while the epII novelization has a lot going for it, the clunky dialogue lifted from the film is the worst part. salvatore makes slight judicious changes, but i'm sure ol' georgie boy cracked the whip but good and made him preserve every gem that poured from his number two pencil.

clearly, YMMV!
  14. YodaDaMax Jedi Knight

star 1
    I didn't think the author can change dialogue. The books are probably based on an older version of the script. Like how in the ep1 novel they say "gas" instead of "dioxis" And in ep4 Red and gold squadrons are switched.
  15. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Either way in the case of the prequels, books > films.

However, I was watching the DVD that comes with the soundtrack and at the beginning they show a montage of footage from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and it all seems to work together quite well. If you stick the trilogies together they work even better together.

That is no excuse for the films not standing on their own.
  16. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    At his panel at C3, Matt Stover said one of the first things he asked Lucas was whether he was allowed to change the dialogue. Lucas said as long as he didn't change the intentions of scenes, character motivations, etc., it was fine. "Make it good" was the basic instruction. So, yes, Stover did rewrite dialogue in places. I'm not sure if past novelizers were given that freedom.

Phil
  17. ohblee Jedi Knight

star 1
    That making of RotS book is a fascinating read. Great stuff! There's no indication of anyone other than Lucas writing the script in it. They even reproduce some of the script pages in the book. It also mentions the Spielberg animatics and has a still from one of them. The neatest part of the book is that it covers every day of shooting, indicating what scenes were shot and so forth. Very cool. Much better than the AotC making of book.

After seeing the footage at C3, I'm really excited about this film. By roommate, the bastard, is going to be seeing it in a half an hour from now. If we all went to Elk Grove Village and stormed the theatre, we could see it too!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.