main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

did Luke bury Owen and Beru?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Spacehunter24, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I've always wondered if Luke buried his aunt and uncle after finding them. I mean, sure, their bodies were literally just bones, but still, you'd think since they were practically parents to him that he would still try to bury what was left instead of leaving their remains just laying there like he found them.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He probably did, but I don't think anything has said for certain.

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I assumed he did. (But you know what happens when you assume.)

4. DMZBADGER

DMZBADGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    What I would like to know is who called the "hit" on them?

Was the act of murdering them some itchy trigger fingered Stormtrooper?

Was it an Imperial officer trying to impress his superiors?

Was Vader(Anakin Skywalker..step brother of Owen) the one that wanted to teach him a final lesson?

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Owen got all huffy when the stormtroopers started asking him about Luke, and he spat on the stormtrooper commander's helmet. Then the commander ordered the farm to be burned.

6. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    In the Episode II DVD commentary, Lucas states that the spot where Shmi Lars is buried is likely where Owen and Beru are buried, too. So I'd say, "yes", Luke (or someone else) buried them.

7. Jar_Jar_Thinks

Jar_Jar_Thinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2004
    i think theys was buried next to anikens mom on the farm

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Watch "Troops" for a better explanation of why it all happened. ;) :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm not sure if he buried their bodies. He might've held a funeral pyre and burnt their already burnt bodies. He did burn Vader, so I don't see why he would not burn his aunt and uncle.

As for what happened, Beru tried to murder Owen as he was being really harsh to Luke. A thermal detonater went off killing both Owen and Beru. A shame too, as the Stormies were going to take Beru to a hotel for a couple days. :(

10. DMZBADGER

DMZBADGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    Yes...Yes...Yes....I know I know Troops..and the story line..KICK BUTT FAN FILM I must add by the way.

Does anyone "really" know who was behind the Lars homestead razing?

And its funny that you cremate Jawas and Jedi's but bury humanoid moisture farmer families

11. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Since the Empire is trying to keep it a secret that the Death Star plans had been stolen, I'm sure the Stormtroopers probably had orders to "take care" of any witnesses. They were probably inquiring where Luke and the droids were, they refused to tell, so the Stormtroopers eventually just killed them and torched the place. In fact, isn't part of this depicted in Davin Felth's story in TALES FROM THE MOS EISLEY CANTINA?

Perhaps the Jawas were burned because it would be too much to dig graves for all them, Jedi are burned because it's a ceremonial thing (like how the Vikings sent a deceased person out to sea on a raft and then set it on fire), and humans are simply buried like here on Earth.

12. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I don't think Luke had to much time to bury anyone.

The Stormtroopers had orders to find the droids and to return them (unharmed) The Humans and Jawas were unfortunate if they got in the way of the Empire.

When he (Luke) returned to meet Obi-Wan he did it while there was still sunlight. I don't think that Luke had time to bury Owen and Beru. Not when they had been creamated (sp).

13. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Here is my take on the matter of why Owen and Beru were murdered:

Warning, FanFiction Alert!!!

:)

Indy

EDIT: The jawas are burned because that is jawa tradition.

14. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    When he (Luke) returned to meet Obi-Wan he did it while there was still sunlight. I don't think that Luke had time to bury Owen and Beru. Not when they had been creamated (sp).

Well, it's only morning when Luke and 3PO set out to find R2. Depending how much time they spent at Obi-Wan's place after the Sandpeople attack, I think there'd still be enough time for him to bury them.

15. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I would believe that he did, why wopuldn't he?

16. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    So did anybody read it? :)

Indy

17. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Errant Venture, why would he burn them if they're already burned? lol.

I'm sure that in real time, he would have buried them. After all, they're his family. They raised him.

Lucas used some dramatic licence and jumped forward to keep the pace of the story moving.

I'm confident he wouldn't just leave them. That would just be COLD.

18. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    That's what I think to, and yet, he burned the Jawa's and Vader, which sets an example of Luke burning the dead. Even if it is Jawa custom to burn the dead, what about Vader?

Perhaps he started a fire powerful enough to turn the bones of his aunt and uncle into ashes?

19. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Luke didn't burn the Jawas. Obi-Wan did.

20. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Touche.

Though it still sets a precedent of the GFFA or at least Tatooine citizens burning bodies. Ben with the Jawas and Skywalker with Vader.

21. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    ;)

I agree though, it is a definate possibility. Either way, I am sure he did something. It doesn't strike me as Luke's way to shun a duty like that.

22. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    I figured R2 started the fire. I assumed he had some kind of mini-torch attachment. haha!! I'd like to see R2 use that instead of the cloud he creates in ESB to cover their escape. Imagine this huge flamethrower flame coming out of R2 and toasting the Stormtroopers while he makes some kind of really cheerful whistle. lol!!

23. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    In all these years, I never gave this any thought at all. But since he was their nephew, I'd assume that he respectfully buried them. If he gave Darth Vader a funeral, then I'm sure he could at least bury his aunt and uncle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.