CT Did Luke even know who Darth Vader was?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Dec 11, 2012.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Was he like "who the heck is that guy in black and why did he just cut old Ben in half?" When Ben is dropping "a young Jedi named Darth Vader" story on him, does Luke even know about Vader as a person? Did Imperial citizens in general know about Vader? Would Luke really catch up on the exploits of the Emperor's top dog enforcer living on a sandball like Tatooine? (Luke did want to run off and be a pilot for the Empire but how much does that translate into, like, Luke having Darth Vader posters on his wall at his Aunt and Uncle's house?) Or was there an awkward conversation at the checkerboard on the Falcon between Luke and Leia where Luke is all like "that guy in the weird cape and helmet kinda murdered Ben." and she's all like, "Yeah, uh, that guy is named Darth Vader." and then Luke is all like "Oooohhhhh! THAT'S the guy who Ben told me about. Who betrayed and murdered my father, too. What a jerk!"
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Dec 11, 2012
  2. darthbarracuda Jedi Master

star 2
    No, Luke hated the Empire. He says it to Obi Wan when Obi tells him that they must go to Alderaan
  3. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Doesn't he wanna be a pilot like Biggs? Biggs joined the Empire & then bailed after he got there.
  4. DarthRelaxus Force Ghost

star 4
  5. Trask Ulgo Jedi Master

star 3
    I thoguht he wanted to join the academy, but would pull a Biggs (probably with help by Biggs) and join the alliance.
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Big fat yes to that:
    - From the Star Wars radio drama

To my knowledge, this hasn't been contradicted by any sources. So no, Luke didn't know who Darth Vader was before that.

It's always been my theory that Darth Vader was something of a shadowy figure during the 'Rise of the Empire' era, i.e. between ROTS & ANH - he was the head of the Empire's secret police, carrying out the dirty work of the interrogation, torture, kidnapping & murder of anyone opposed to Palpatine's new order. At the time of ANH, he wouldn't have been a public figure at all, although those in the know would be aware of his existence (as Leia did).
    With the Alliance's destruction of the first Death Star, however, the unrest escalated into full-blown war, so Vader was promoted to a military commander with the express orders of wiping out the Rebel Alliance, so he would have been publicly known from then on.

As far as the Academy is concerned, this comes up all the time - the Academy that Luke wanted to go to was simply a college for teaching space pilots, and had been around for centuries. It wasn't a military-run facility, just a school which would largely send their graduates off to become commercial pilots.
    With the Empire tightening their grip on the galaxy by the time of ANH, however, it's the sort of institution which would immediately be seen as a handy resource for conscripting young pilots into military service. This is brought up in the deleted Biggs Anchorhead scene, which suggests that such things were only just starting to happen (Biggs refers to the Empire starting to nationalise commerce), so Luke was perhaps being a bit naive when he tells Biggs that "he'll be off to the Academy next year and won't be drafted into Imperial service".
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, Dec 12, 2012
  7. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    In Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, he's seen on the Holonet on several occasions- and the commentators speculate on what he is:

"Is he Jedi? Clone? The Emperor's own General Grievous? No-one seems to know- yet everyone wants to."
  8. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Huh, I actually read the radio drama years ago maybe that bit stuck in the back of my head. I never knew at all that "The Academy" wasn't an Imperial facility, I kinda assume that "the academy" was Imperial run. Any direct source on that or just read between the lines / Biggs Anchorhead deleted scene conjecture? Never quite connected Luke's line with that to "Not that I like the Empire, I hate it" but, to be fair, he never sounded all that strong about that statement, I thought he was just trying to please the crazy old hermit and he says it rather quickly.

Does kinda bring back around to "how much people knew about Vader" in the Rise of the Empire era question, or how much Luke knew. Let's just say some people knew if they paid close enough attention to the holonet but I guess, once again, Luke is running around trying to fix moisture vaparators and get power converters and bullseye wamp rats to really know the ins-and-outs of the Imperial military hierarchy. Like who runs the military in Sweeden? I have no idea and can't be bothered to google it so I guess Luke wouldn't either.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Dec 13, 2012
  9. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    IIRC there's a Lucas quote somewhere about a Rebellion academy. Which doesn't really fit with how the Rebellion is depicted in the OT-don't think an insurgency would have a public academy that some random hillbilly from the Outer Rim would just know about,-but whatev. :p
  10. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, if it was a "rebellion academy" why would he have to submit an application? And what exactly would that entail? Oh, right, power converters. Or something.
  11. Count Yubnub Force Ghost

star 4
    It would've been good if that had been in the movie.
  12. Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Master

star 2
    There's a deleted scene in ANH that covers this. Biggs and Luke are talking on Tatooine, Biggs is visiting on leave from the academy and mentions that he is looking to jump ship to join the Rebel Alliance. It is implied that the Academy is an Imperial training ground for pilots, though it doesn't directly mention it from memory.
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  13. STARKILLER365 Jedi Youngling

I think Luke never thought that Darth Vader had another life before the suit. Luke thought he always was a bad man.
  14. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    No he didn't know who Vader was
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face